1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Plug-in Prius will have 12.4mile EV range

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ken1784, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it uses a single battery pack.
    Our Japanese friends attended a special lecture provided by Panasonic EV Energy. The engineer said they charge up to 100% SOC from the grid, then the vehicle uses down to 20% SOC while in EV mode, called depression mode. The vehicle now runs as hybrid vehicle targeting 20% SOC, called sustaining mode.
    So, it will be recharged by regeneration or driving on downhill, but it does not do aggressive charging (let's say 40% SOC or above) using engine power while in sustaining mode.

Ken@Japan

1 person likes this.
  2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thats same great information
    do you now if this is from the gen2 prototype plugins? or already from the LiOn gen 3 priusses?

3. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been commenting only for the 2010 Li-ion plug-in Prius on this thread.

Ken@Japan

4. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Excellent scoop Ken1784, well found! :)

As for the discussion regarding likely battery pack size of the Prius PHEV, the published electricity consumption figures for the combined driving cycle are 6 miles per kWh for Mitsubishi's MiEV, and 5 miles per kWh for the Tesla EV. GM's Volt mule (which is a heavy car) is also doing 5 miles per kWh.

In theory then, 12.4 miles could be achieved with as little as 2.5 kWh available energy. For longevity and power output purposes however, the pack would have to be a good bit larger than this, so Toyota could easily manage the 12.4 miles range with a 4 kWh pack (and 40 kW output).

Incidentally, BYD are currently manufacturing LiFePO4 for $300 per kWh, although it is rumoured that Panasonic EV are still at around $550 per kWh for their li-ion solution which would put a 4 kWh pack at around $2,200 factory cost.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive 7 miles, plug in, drive 7 miles, plug in. Use no gas.
    Alternatively only charge at home, drive 2 miles to warm up for heater or cool cab with AC then use AC for the rest of the journey, repeat to get home then charge. If you run out of charge before you get home the ICE will get you home.

I'd also use petrol engine for steep hills.

6. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does someone have a recent link to a engineering report that discusses battery size (kw-hr) and driving range for plug-in hybrid?

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If true then the bail out tax credit for PHEV will cover the cost. For the miles per kwh you provided, does it include the hotel load?

8. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The miles per kWh figure that EV/PHEV manufacturers publish is measured on the same type of driving cycle as the standard (EPA or EU) test driving cycles for gasoline vehicles. It's based on quite gentle driving of course, and real-life driving would use more electricity per mile if you drove quickly, but it does include all accessories while driving that are on in the gasoline tests.

In short, if you can match or beat the EPA rating in a gasoline vehicle, you'll probably manage the same in an EV or PHEV.

A separate problem that is specific to the Tesla, however, is that while it is sitting in the garage, charging or otherwise, it's constantly using power to keep the battery pack at a constant temperature. This uses quite a lot of electricity and a fair number of owners have been upset by this!

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess that's the price to pay for being the performance roadster. Volt starts it's combustion engine to warm up the battery pack. Since the Roadster is a pure EV without ICE, that seems to be the solution.

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

12.5 mile maximum sounds good to me, if the premium is not huge.I would assume it also meens more energy recouped via braking (if driving in hilly area) and more energy available for accelerating if batteries are full (longer time).

i am not willing to pay 10k for 40 mile range... for most times i drive less than 10 miles in a day, but even if i drove 30 miles in a day, it would mean 1/3 of it was "free".

i wonder if in the future, they would made it so you could pick between 2-3 different battery levels, just like you do with choice of engines now (avensis has 6 engines available for instance. and 9 total engine/transmission combos).

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i was hoping you picked up some test info about the gen 2 nimh test car.
    and its findings

12. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only know about it from the following press release.
    TOYOTA: News Releases
    If you would like to discuss about the current NiMH plug-in test vehicle, please raise another thread.

Ken@Japan

13. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just read that the 2010 PHEV Prius will only be available to fleet customers and not the general public for the first several years (evaluation phase) .

Can anyone confirm?

15. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi Ken,

Is there a definite source that it is going to be Li-ion?

If Toyota already use double pack in the gen2 plug-in, would they not put a triple pack in the gen3 plug-in? With 3 pack in parallel, 3*6.5Ah*201.6V = 3.9 kWh, I believe it can travel 20km. Besides, gen3 battery pack is also smaller in size than gen2, it should be easier to put 3 pack than gen2.

I wish for Lithium too, but I'm skeptical it can be ready in 2010. Toyota, please proof me wrong.

16. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For example...
    Autocar - 'Plug-in' Prius due in 2010

I've never seen any article that gen3 plug-in Prius will use NiMH.
    Have you?

Ken@Japan

17. ken1784

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if LI is not affected by ambient temps, why is this necessary and exactly what is the amount of charge used??

my Zenn, also trickles a charge to keep my batteries topped but the amount of charge *might* add up to a penny over SEVERAL nights.

i used to monitor it religiously, but it ranged from .02 to .07 KWH over an average 10 hour period.

19. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The issue is not with lithium batteries themselves, but with Tesla's approach to them.

Tesla realised that they could get a high energy density (ie long range) battery if they used cobalt electrode based LiIon commodity cells of the same type ussed to make up computer and camera battery packs. They could buy them cheap in vast quantities from established suppliers. But....

The problem was, to keep things safe from thermal runaway (ie battery fires) and long-lived, they realised they had to keep the battery at a nice 20-ish degrees C at all times. This helps the battery last a long time, but requires a constant huge cooling / heating system that permeates the battery pack and uses about 50-150 watts continuously, whether the car is in operation or not. That could add up to about 3 kWh per day just for the cooling system!

Other manufacturers are taking a different approach - by chasing battery chemistries that can tolerate low temperatures (eg lithium-titanate) or are relatively safe from thermal runaway (eg lithium iron phosphate), they won't need a constant coolant circuit.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    so. if not plugged in, the batteries will drain away?

interesting. but lets face it. i would not pay $100,000 for a car to park it anyway. also, not quite sure i would agree with the statement that many Tesla owners were upset over an additional 10-20 cents a day