1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius’s mileage going South

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Norryboy1a, Feb 2, 2020.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quoting Norryboy1a: "I had often wondered if maybe there is an increased drag in the engine from an a/c compressor".

I said: The compressor runs off the hybrid battery, not the engine. There would be no drag.
    I regret not adding "on the engine". And the compressor doesn't put any drag on the engine.

Will the engine have to run more to run the generators to charge the battery, probably...
    But still, no drag on the engine.

Will it effect the mpg? Maybe, slightly. Even on a non hybrid car the compressor has almost
    no effect anymore for drag. Unless, it is going bad, or defective. But not if it's working correctly.

2. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I reset the ecu’s by disconnecting the Negative lead on the battery. And tested the 12volt battery. Then the mileage got a lot better. I noticed that all the EV, ECON and POWER modes were off. I had been driving with the Econ mode on. So, I left them off. Now the mileage is up to lower 50’s.
    I’ll just let it go a while to see what happens.

Mendel Leisk and royrose like this.
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Running with "ECON" selected should get you the best mileage. It also puts the ac under econ.
    If you are getting better mileage in standard mode, you have a problem.

4. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, you’re right. It seems counter intuitive. I changed the ambiant temperature sensor just to see what is going on with the outside temperature readings. Doesn’t seem to actually (or even approximately) read the correct temperature. When I was back at the battery, I noticed that there is another temperature sensor there. I wonder if that had anything to do with anything.

5. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tested the 12 volt output. Seems ok. And the battery is a Toyota put in 3.5 years ago. Not a lot of noise coming from the running engine. No grinding noises.

6. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Further reading told me that the other temp sensor was for the computer to analyze the charging amount of the 12 volt battery. It seems that outside temperatures have something to do with the charging load applied to the battery. Who knew!

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where did you read that? Never heard of that before.
    Unless of course it's below zero or about 150!

8. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was on the Internet (I think it was through DuckDuckGo) as I was searching for info about what that other temperature sensor was for. There some discussion in another forum (I don’t remember which) about how the computer regulates the voltage charge to the auxiliary battery via an algorithm based on the outside temperature.
    Something about adjusting load needs. I’ll see if I can find it again. They were talking about a gen 3 Prius though.

9. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was Prius chat. A post by Ken1784.

10. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was February, gen three technical discussion.

11. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [​IMG]
    ken1784SuperMID designer

I have seen several Gen II owners saying that 14.7 is high. I have seen 14.6 to 14.7 quite often on my Gen III from day one. No problem with my 12V battery to date.

Apparently the Gen III runs higher than the Gen II.
    The Gen3 auxiliary battery has temperature sensor and Gen2 one does not.
    The Gen3 controls the 12V charge voltage depending on the temperature and charges more efficient than the Gen2.

Ken@Japan

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, but I wonder where he got his info from???

13. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A interesting development with regarding mileage happened. I remember that I was having trouble with lower headlight bulbs blowing out. The dealer told me there was a recall on the electrical harness leading to the bulbs. That Toyota designed a fix with wires that had a higher resistance. Since I like to drive with the headlights on I never thought that they would be contributing to losing mileage. But, After the trip to the junkyard and after repeatedly checking the 12 Volt charging system and noting low voltage readings ( 12 and no higher than 13.6). I tried driving the hour back from the yard with the lights off.
    And sure enough, the mileage shot up and stayed up. I measured the 12 volt drain effects by testing the readings with a full load ( lights, a/c and brake, radio etc.) And with no load, but it showed little difference.
    I surmised that perhaps because of the New increased resistance in the new fix for the Lights, caused The original factory standards of voltage requirements needed for 12 volt system to be efficient was being undermined. And over time the expected voltage was never able to be supplied to the auxiliary battery and so starving the ecu and other components Which may have caused the mileage to go down.
    I will continue to monitor the 12 volt system to see if my hypothesis is just smoke or not. Thanks for the trophy :).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update about mileage. I’ve been using 0-16 oil and that helps the mileage quite a bit. As to the other mileage posts I made, naw! I can report a mileage average of about 42-46. I’ve also decided that if it eventually throws a 401 code, I’ll deal with it then.

pjksr02 likes this.
  15. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you ever go and clean your EGR cooler and intake manifold? These won't effect MPG, but are a time bomb...

My 2010 is running around 46 mpg, down from 52 or so when new, at 180,000 miles. My hybrid battery voltages are balanced, watching them on Techstream, but I'm looking at getting Dr Prius. My 12-V is new. I'm thinking it's our old hybrid batteries...

16. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

17. Norryboy1a

Norryboy1a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Haven’t done anything about the egr cooler yet. I was researching the possibility of changing it without removing the wiper motor. Tight squeeze but I think it’s possible. I’m at 177k and still avg. about 40-44 mpg.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IIRC @Raytheeagle did an EGR extraction without wiper/cowl removal once, swore never again??

Raytheeagle and pjksr02 like this.
  19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's an easy job to remove the wiper assembly. It may look like it's a lot of work, and hard,
    but it's not.
    It would be wise to clean the egr circuit BEFORE it causes damage, not after.

It's like waiting for the engine oil to fail before changing it.... and the engine.

pjksr02 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I did that once :eek:.

The first time and that's the only time:).

The task of taking off the wiper cowling is about 20 minutes and saves many hours of trying to get the cooler out with it on;).

Work smarter not harder unless you like testing your patience (y).