1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius 100,000 Mile Preventative maintenance Items

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rocky Mountain Priusman, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don’t think it matters much, if at all. Existing PCV valve in ok condition, or cleaned, or new, are all pretty similar in what they deliver to the intake.

Besides fit they can have different performance, flow rate. I’d stick with dealership parts department purchase; it’s under $10.

PriusII&C likes this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    that’s about right. Some feller did the cleaning and put a catch can in. Weeks after driving, it pooled up again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Rocky Mountain Priusman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good question - I dont know the answer to that - I guess time will tell. I hope Mendel is right with his 80% figure!

4. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should also mention that I had a look at my Throttle body and the underside is sparkling clean. I think someone else has been in there recently to clean it out!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    there’s a thread about that here, and just about everything you can think of. Except for pulling the 12v lead before EGR cleaning, not one thread or tutorial say to do so.

6. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Something I'm realizing is that with a horizontal PCV valve, it will only ever close during a backfire. Vertical PCV valves will close when the engine is off due to gravity. If there's pressure in the crankcase, it will open a vertical valve even with the engine off. BUT...I wonder if having a horizontal valve that stays open during engine off allows more vapors to flow from the crankcase to the intake compared to a vertical valve.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    PCV valves have an internal spring that keep it closed up to some pressure threshold, regardless of orientation I think.

ASRDogman likes this.
  8. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not the supposed OEM one I just received. When I look at it on its side, the little plug bit is slid away from the engine-side opening. When I turn it vertical, it is closed. Maybe it's defective?

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve never fully got my head around it, but I don’t think orientation should affect its operation. Here’s a wiki article:

Crankcase ventilation system - Wikipedia

And if you search for the text string:

The PCV valve controls the flow of crankcase gases entering the intake system

it goes into details about what the valve does, under varying intake manifold vacuum conditions.

10. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So a PCV valve can close (or almost close) in both directions, both under high vacuum and under backfire or engine-off (if gravity assists it). Look at this. With a horizontal PCV valve the condition on the left never happens.
    [​IMG]

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m not sure. Looking at the leftmost pic, the “bullet” shaped internal thing looks to be encased in a spring, that could keep it pressed against the bottom opening, regardless of orientation?

Granted though: the one you pictured seems to flop open/close easily.

12. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right, that's what the picture shows but not what the PCV valve in my hand is doing. It only does the leftmost situation when oriented vertically. Anyway, maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe the crankcase heat creates enough pressure during engine-off to still push vapors past the relatively loose bullet. I'm sure that's intentional (whether well thought out is maybe another thing).

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s a brand new Toyota PCV valve? Maybe defective?? It’s very infrequently I’ve got one in hand, but it seems to me they’ve always had a metal bit right behind the internal opening, firmly enough that orientation didn’t matter . Could be “creative” recall on my part.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think I’ll invoke the @ChapmanF ”bat signal”, he usually has this stuff down pat.

15. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you supposed to do this? I certainly havnt! Hope it doesnt cause trouble....

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I didn’t disconnect the 12 volt for Exhaust Gas Recirculation and intake cleaning, don’t think it’s needed. For brake work yes, but that’s different.

17. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay tonight I worked on getting the EGR cooler off. I have to say - this is an extremely hard job. Those who say its easy don't understand how skilled they are. I spent 1.5 hours on it and got everything off except the two hard things - the underside nut and the bolt on the bottom back side of the cooler where it bolts into the exhaust manifold. The nut on the bracket on the underside of the cooler still eludes me. I touched it once (I think?), and another time i managed to actually see it, and then I couldn't remember what angle I saw it at and I spent 20 minutes hunting for it again. Of course I was working in pitch black with a single weak headlamp on this whole time outside in the cold so that didn't help. Maybe it will be more apparent in daylight.

I lost my finger ratchet into the engine bay trying to get the bolt on the bottom of the exhaust manifold off but managed to fish it out.Time to take the night off and watch some more videos and try again tomorrow night.

davev1pa likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hilarious!!! You’re one of the 3 who poo poo’d me for not doing it on the old thread.

19. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any reason you think it makes sense to do it? I'm more concerned about the HV cables, but its cause they are brightly coloured and look dangerous!

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Rocky Mountain Priusman i would START with that elusive lower cooler bracket nut. Get it done, and leave it off, for good. Anyway:

It takes a combo of long socket and short extension (maybe 1.5”?), and a swivel headed ratchet is helpful. Snake it in there; the nuts around 3 o’clock, relative too and just beyond the braid-clad coolant line going into the head. You’ll feel it lock on, and you’re in business.