1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius 100,000 Mile Preventative maintenance Items

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rocky Mountain Priusman, Mar 15, 2021.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, it is not hard. It's just that you haven't done it yet. Plus you are in the dark? And it's COLD!
    It is NEVER easy to work in those conditions. It's best to wait to at least day time so you can see better.
    Maybe when the sun come up it will warm it up some for you.

Plus, it helps to have the correct tools. It makes the job much easier.
    Do a search on youtube. Watch 4 or 5 videos of this job, at least. You will learn something from each on.
    Nutzaboutbolts are good videos, but you can always learns other ways of doing things from other people.

Just take your time, think about what you need to do, and try to do it. And "try" not to get fustrated.

No, you do not "need" to remove the ground from the 12v battery. Even when working on the brakes.
    Just keep the key fog at least 30 feet from the car. And do not open the drivers door when working on the
    rear brakes. And you'll be fine.

2. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is increasingly making me want to just take a clean EGR cooler to a mechanic that's done this swap before. I'm too old, busy, and stressed to spend hours doing mechanic gymnastics.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why don't you call around and see who will do it?
    Or go on craigslist and put an ad on to see if there are other Prius owner's around that
    might be willing to help you do it?

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you know how many crazies out there will reply and will need favors in return?!

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can always say NO. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
    I'd help someone in my area. It's nice to help people and the Prius is an easy car to work on.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    should I also mention receiving explicit photos and messages?

7. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Rocky Mountain Priusman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should mention that my struggles are reflective of my mechanical skill. In my entire life I've done about 4 oil changes and one transmission fluid change and a few tire rotations, thats it. Actually did the first oil change myself just a few years ago so I am very green - If you are used to working on cars this might be a lot easier for you.

davev1pa likes this.
  8. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are right about that! Thanks for encouragement. And regarding working in the dark and cold, in the winter its often cold and dark here, I work a regular job during the daylight hours, and I dont own a garage (you have to spend about a million dollars to get a home that has a garage here). So sometimes you just gotta work with the conditions you have if are going to get anything done. Getting some better lighting could help. Anyways, I'm making progress. Got the difficult nut loose on the underside of the EGR cooler today, but then lost my 12mm socket into the engine bay while pulling my wrench out of that giant tangle of hoses and cables. Two steps forward one step back. I'll have this EGR cooler out pretty soon here!

9. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm glad you said that - I keep thinking "Is this nut really necessary?". I dont see any real need to put it back on.

Got it loose today. Used a 12mm deep socket plus a 2 inch extension on a flex head ratchet, however this was slightly too long as I had to really wedge it inbetween hoses and HV cables to reach the nut. I think I need a slightly shorter extension or a non-deep socket and a longer extension to get the perfect length. It seems that I was either too short without the extension, and too long with it. Anyways, lost the 12mm socket in the engine bay while excitedly pulling the ratchet out after I loosened it. Sad thing was the nut is loose but still cant turn it with my fingers. I'm making progress and will have it done soon I am sure!

Thanks to the people on this forum to let me diarize my slow progress on this!

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah there’s a sweet-spot extension length, allows the ratchet handle to fit in between the myriad conduits/hoses. I hear 4th gen is even MORE fun. And yeah, that’s why I was harping about dealing with that nut FIRST. You can take it off without doing anything else, and leave the car fully functional.

Get an E8 Torx socket and back out the associated stud, for bonus marks. Be REAL careful with it though, and if it feels like it might strip the head, leave till the cooler’s off.

I’ve likely said this countless times, but:

drain a couple of liters engine coolant (into clean container) via the rad drain spigot, and you won’t spill coolant when the cooler hoses pull off. And just leave throttle body coolant hoses connected; no need to pull them off.

more info:

Bad Flywheel | PriusChat

11. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm. Good to know. I adjusted the valves on my CRV last year which required being bent over and halfway in the engine bay for a few hours. I was sore for a week.

I go back and forth on DIY wrenching. I can do it. I can learn easily. But I also have periods of self-doubt and am just not very limber.

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The good thins is you are not in a hurry. Just do a piece of a time, and you'll get it done.
    Just keep thining of the hundreds, or thousands of dollars you are not paying someone. (y)
    And you can spend it on you and your family.

13. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Finally got that EGR cooler out. Holy hell was that underside nut hard for me to get out. But I did it!

Here are pics of my EGR cooler passages. Its gunked up, but you can still see a bit of light through it.

Attached Files:

davev1pa and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plug one end, pour in hot/concentrated oxi-clean solution, let it bubble for an hour, rinse and repeat. 5~6 rep’s should get it like new.

Or have at it with a pressure washer.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I knew you could do it! I'm very happy for you.
    It is pretty bad, but you caught it in time.

Use a pressure washer to clear it out. Then use oven cleaner sprayed in both ends, to CLEAN it out.
    Let it sit for half an hour then use the pressure washer to rinse it out. The water will be black.
    So oven cleaner it again and rinse again after 30 minutes and it should be a lot cleaner.

You "could" use other things, but spending hours on end waiting and waiting, with there pressure washer
    and oven cleaner you are done in about an hour.

If you don't have a pressure washer, maybe a car wash place.
    But you can just use the oven cleaner and then a strong stream with a hose. Still HOURS faster, and easier.

DO NOT use the oven cleaner on the EGR Valve. The cooler and pip are fine.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the EGR cooler is stainless steel, impervious to caustic chemicals, and needs more work. The EGR valve and pipe, and intake, are easier to clean, and best stick to more careful cleaning, with say brake cleaner and rags and brushes. They have more reactive metals and/or electronics too.

17. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So... Any conjecture on just how polluting pressure washing that crap (plus oven cleaner, brake cleaner, etc thats still in it) either down a drain or into your yard might be?

18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Finally convinced enough to recommend it:).

Welcome to the dark side(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oxi ckean or oven cleaner are caustic (like soao), water soluble, and ok to go down drain.

brake cleaner obviously NOT. The latter I use sparingly, collect, and eventually pour over a small tray of kitty litter, allow to evaporate. Then tightly bag the KL and dispose in residential garbage collection.

20. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its probably not good for the environment, but car washes do have filter systems as tons of oil, soaps, vehicle fluids get washed off cars and go through their systems. I certainly wouldn't dump it down the drain (storm or sewer drain) at your house. That all ends up at the wastewater treatment plant and then the cleaned water they discharge goes back into the local river or back into water taps.

It seems like the best method would be to somehow capture everything that comes out and dispose at a sealed landfill, or if you use oil based solvents (actually is brake clean oil-based? Not even sure of that. Is there such thing as an oil based solvent? This might need correction) dump it all in used oil recycling.

But yeah these things are hard. Your certainly polluting a bit by washing out all this junk, but isnt it the same stuff that comes out of thousands of tailpipes every day? Its certainly better to do this process and save your car from going to the scrap yard early.

#100 Rocky Mountain Priusman, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021