1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius 1st Time Owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hex.com, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Hex.com

Hex.com New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey there!

Purchased a 2010 back in February (I wanted the 1.8L ), had 200K miles and was regularly serviced. Older woman, original owner. Records were stellar, and ran well!

First, I’ve changed the motor oil several times & filter (5w-30 Royal Purple, now Schaeffer 9000). Transmission fluid changed twice back to back, started running fuel system cleaner, replaced both intake air filter and cabin air filter. Then I added a 10” floating display with apple/android CarPlay, and front & rear cameras!!
    upload_2022-4-25_20-36-16.jpeg

Next, I removed the air intake manifold, thoroughly cleaned it out as well as the little egr passages, egr line and valve, replaced all gaskets, pcv valve, and new spark plugs! Aaand some utility lights!
    upload_2022-4-25_20-46-21.jpeg
    Also, this cool license plate thingy that runs white with my lights and red when I hit the brakes, “sport” badging, window sun guard things, and green grenade tire caps
    upload_2022-4-25_20-55-3.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-25_20-55-26.jpeg
    I disconnected the factory license plate lights.
    upload_2022-4-25_20-56-54.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-25_20-57-26.jpeg

Now to fix a lean code and only getting 37 mpg I put in a new fuel pump ⛽️ FINALLY 50 MPG!!

Then added the oil catch can, cleaned up the engine bay, got a cool oil fill cap, replaced spark plugs again (Denso Iridium TT), and ignition coils. ✅
    upload_2022-4-25_21-4-23.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-25_21-4-58.jpeg

She is so great! Running strong!

Next, I’m going to add a grounding condenser, replace the water pump, EGR valve, headlight assembly, add some interior and exterior lights, rims.
    The tail fin is fading so I’m going to place some carbon fiber wrap on that and the hood which has got its share of rock chips (they make some cool carbon fiber hoods for $600 that would look awesome and reduce weight).

Thoughts? Ideas?

It’s been a lot of fun to work on so far.

marksongs, Pri3C, bisco and 1 other person like this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got a link or some key words to search for to get an oil catch can like that?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! You've been busy. Nice work. :D

I didn't see mention of cleaning the EGR cooler. I saw the passages, valve, etc. But it won't help to clean all that if you don't get after the cooler itself. It's a bit of a chore, but is just as important as the other parts. It's a bummer that it'll involve removing so much stuff that you just reinstalled. :( If you already did clean the cooler and just forgot to mention it, then congrats!!

Hex.com and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

my only thought is that you have done a very thorough and amazing job!(y)

all the best

jerrymildred and Hex.com like this.
  5. Hex.com

Hex.com New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I didn’t learn about the EGR cooler till after. So I’m ordering the new EGR valve, and addressing the cooler at that time. Fortunately it’s not bad at all taking those components apart.

Thank you!

#5 Hex.com, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  6. Hex.com

Hex.com New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here’s the link to the exact one I got, had basically all I needed other than a hose union splicer/adapter. The hose they send was long enough to mount where I did (really easy spot that looks great too). Hose fits pcv valve, then I cut the factory hose a bit to then adapt to the return line.

PWR FEVER Upgraded Baffled Oil...

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! Did you use the breather filter that came with it? What does that look like once it's installed?

8. Hex.com

Hex.com New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No, from what I’ve read you do not want to use the little vent that comes with the oil can.