1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius 210k Miles, “Check Hybrid System” P0A94, P0A7A

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by voidium, Apr 20, 2021.

1. voidium

voidium Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So i have this car for almost 5 years, 2nd owner, buy with 85k miles. I use this car daily and drive around 100 miles per day, recently i driving and the car show this message “Check Hybrid System”, i pullover and try some things i found on youtube, like disconnect some cables and 12v battery, wait 10min and reconnect back, nothing happen, same message.

I call toyota to see how much they charge for diagnostic and they charge 350,00, was thinking its crazy amount of money, so i buy reader online and did the diagnostic. Show bunch of errors, but those 2 looks like the main problems.

Anyone can tell me if toyota covers this? I try to call them on the phone and give to them the P0A94 code and ask if its cover. They tell me this information its not possible to provide until i drop the car for diagnostic for 350,00. If its cover, i will dont need to pay for that, if its not i will start getting charge 350,00 before any work on the car.

Unfortunately i just pay huge amount on my wifes car and trying to know if this its covered or not. Please help. Thanks.

IMG_4119.png
    IMG_4120.png
    IMG_4117.png

iPhone ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    has the ipm recall been done?

Tim Jones likes this.
  3. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    $350.00 seems lie a lot for diagnostic..........it's usually 125 - 150......

Looks like the inverter blew..... you will have to go to dealer and no charge for the diagnostic if its a warranty covered part.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is no mileage limit on the ZE3 warranty extension, and you are within the 15 year time limit, and you have one of the DTCs that qualify you for it.

So get thee to a Toyota dealer. Don't clear the codes. You will get some shiny new power electronics in your 11 year old car.

5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They usually replace the power transistors inside the inverter. So you can't tell if anything has been done unless you look it up.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All of the power transistors for the boost converter, MG1, and MG2 are in a single IPM that is replaced as an assembly. It includes the coolant passages and the two nipples where the hoses attach, so if you look closely, those nipples will probably look shiny and new. :) But yes, I meant "shiny new" mostly in figurative terms for the parts you don't see.

[​IMG]

The DC/DC converter is a separate module beneath the IPM; given the P0A94, they might replace that also. In some cases, they'll also replace the MG ECU, which mounts above the IPM. Neither of those will be obviously visible, but you should see them on the repair writeup.

They generally won't be replacing the entire inverter assembly unless it actually blew dramatically enough to damage the housing, which generally happens right about here:

[​IMG]

In that case, it will be all shiny new when you get it back.

7. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just experienced the same thing as the OP, I'm in limp mode with the P0A94 coming up per Dr. Prius and the Torque OBD app. I just checked Toyota's recall site and the J0V campaign has not been completed on my vehicle. I bought it earlier this year preowned. Is J0V the IPM recall you're referring to or are you referring to the E0E campaign? And by the way, thanks bisco, you and Chapman have helped many a Prius owner on here for years!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure of the difference from gen 2 to 3, but if you have an open recall, that's likely it.

9. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, to clarify, I have a (new to me) 2014, I just have not added into my profile in case that's what you were looking at.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco likes this.