1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius 2ZR-FXE. Traction Control, CEL, (!) lights and Message.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Malo_Veeeee, Nov 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Malo_Veeeee

Malo_Veeeee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone,

Im new to the forums so please don't hate on me if i posted in the wrong thread hahaha.

I have a 2010 Prius, Not sure what spec as Japan has so many crazy varrients. I have 17 inch wheels with the LED Headlights as well. Millage on the car is 157XXXkm which is about 97555 Miles.

So 4 weeks ago i was reversing out of a driveway. While doing so the car lost traction in the front for a split second. After this happened, the engine came on, and the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. There is a message but i can't understand it as my cars from Japan -_-

The error on the screen wouldn't go away when i clicked the DISP button it would change and show the car with the engine and motor but the arrows wouldn't show as it normally would. But I noticed that the battery would still charge.

My friend came and we scanned the car with Toyota Tech Stream. P0a80 code (hybrid battery failure) popped up. The engine was on full time and my car was giving me terrible MPG.

I went out of town for a few days in my other car and came back so I decided to clean out the fan in the back. upon completion all the lights were off and everything went back to normal all the lights were off and the car was completely fine.

The same issue came up again today in the same circumstances. The car was in reverse and lost traction again. Pulling out the saftey clip and the 12-Volt Battery seems to reset it and get the car back to normal. Without anything acting up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

All of the symptoms you're describing are consistent with the meaning of the code you read. There is a problem with your traction battery.

You might be able to pin the problem down further if the code scanner reports any 3-digit "INF" codes along with the P0A80. (Forgive me, I don't have the repair manual open right now, and I don't remember whether P0A80 has INF codes that go with it or not.)

The repair manual will have a section on what tests to make after P0A80 to pin the problem down more specifically. But in broad strokes, replacing the battery would probably solve your problem.

-Chap

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Traction Battery going south P0A80

4. Malo_Veeeee

Malo_Veeeee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe this might help.

Thank you both!

Attached Files:

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, so you've got several codes going on there. I see the P0A80 has a 'freeze frame' icon next to it (the little snow cloud or whatever). That should show you additional information about the code, possibly including INF codes for it.

If you are using Techstream, I think it may actually give you a short description for each code you have. It will not be as comprehensive as what you find in the manual (which you might have to refer to, if the short descriptions don't tell you enough), but probably better than what you'd see in some other sources.

-Chap

6. Malo_Veeeee

Malo_Veeeee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you Chap. I'll get this sorted when I'm back home. Thank you for all the help!