1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Audio Specs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HTMLSpinnr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good info! Thanks!

2. Jkeb74

Jkeb74 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry if I missed it, I've been digging around for a while.

Does anyone have the depths for the front/rear speakers on the non-JBL model?

3. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :confused:My xm radio is having weak; intermittant signal that drops if I hit a bump. I have one bump I just can't drive over w/o a disconnect. There aren't any trees or buildings to interfere. Our local Toyota folks do not know where the xm antenna is! One thinks it's by the front window registration sticker; another thinks its on the roof; but another thinks the one on the roof is for fm only. Also, they say a problem signal should show on the dashboard. Isn't there a way for them to check that the connections are secure and everything is powered correctly?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it's on the roof, underneath the standard radio antenna.

5. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Found out today that the tuner connects to the antenna underneath the drivers seat! They are swapping out the tuner for me on 9/7. I hope that solves the problems!

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wha? The sat radio antenna is under the driver's seat? that doesn't make sense. Are you sure?

7. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The TUNER is located under the drivers seat. I assume for the tuner to work, the antenna connects to it in that location as well and then runs to the rooftop.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha oops. I see how your sentence can be read differently. Might wanna put a "from" btwn antenna and underneath just in case other ppl misread it =)

9. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    do anyone know i f i can fit 3 1/2" tweeters on the front dash area even though they say 2 1/2" ?
    thanks

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes with minor cutting required. See Spidermans Sticky, first page pdf about squawkers. 3" will fit without cutting, see my gallery.

11. melephant

melephant New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  12. lateralus

lateralus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, I'm new here. I recently bought a 2010 Prius II and immediately upgraded the head unit to a Pio AVH-8400 and added XM, etc. Now I'm looking to upgrade the speakers and looking for advice. This thread is very helpful in telling me the size, etc but I'm a tad confused about component versus full range. I am most interested in playing music and am not looking for any sort of faux surround. I play mostly alt metal so nice, tight bass is important to me. Should I just be looking for "regular" matched car speakers all the way around? And with the head unit I have do I necessarily need an extra amp? (I'm not interested in having people hear thumpety thump when my windows are rolled up, I just want good audio). Thanks in advance!

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you HU puts out the same as mine ~16 watts RMS/ch, I would highly recommend getting an amp. I got the JL 900/5. Spendy but worth it.

14. lateralus

lateralus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to a local car audio store today to do some recon. They gave me a million different options, most of which were way out of my budget. If someone can tell me if I have an accurate understanding, I'd appreciate it ...

The front speakers are component speakers, which are tied to the tweeters on the dash. Replacing the fronts with non-components would put your high frequency at your feet, which would not be good. The people at the store told me upgrading the front speakers may downgrade the amount of bass. I still don't quite get that one.

If I put a subwoofer in the back of the car (8" jl audio perhaps) I also need an amp with X number of channels (the X I am not sure about). Seems like the channels are the front speakers, the front tweeters, rears speakers and sub ... so I'd need a minimum 4 channel amp. Thus, to really upgrade my sound it seems I need new front component speakers, a 4-channel amp, and a subwoofer. The rear speakers I might upgrade later but they don't seem to make that big of a difference.

Can someone let me know if I have a decent understanding or if I am missing something? Thanks!!

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some people/installers use 4 channel amp, delete the rear speakers and use that feed for the sub. You will not save much doing this though. Use a five channel amp if you are going with a sub. There is a short list of us on this forum that use the JL HD900/5. You can't beat it.

frodoz Stereo Upgrade | PriusChat

16. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Right now the car has 2 6x9 speakers in the front which create a lot of bass, and the opening is cut for them already so the door has a better speaker box effect. If you upgrade, you will likely put in a smaller cone, that will have less bass than the large 6x9. I think I want to get a 3-way 6x9 and have it modified into a component set. That will keep the bass and wont need a sub. It sounds fine for me except for breaking up a lot.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If I may, choosing quality two-way or three-way components up front will produce higher quality bass, overall sound and a better stage. The key is in your cross overs, amp gain and HU "tuning". Round cones will beat oval cones every time and quality 6-6.5'' woofers offer more than enough for this vehicle. Subs just finish the job with feel. With my sub cut off, it still sounds better than anything Toyota puts in. You will not be happy using coax or triax replacement on the front doors, and if you rip one apart for the 6x9, your just wasting time and money. Coax in the back doors works great as this is just backfill. Build a balanced compatible system, do not just throwing different speakers at it. Doing a little home work now will save money and give better results. Respectfully. ;)

18. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hi all

I Got Prius 3 with JBL system, I upgraded 2 6x9 front doors and 2 6 1/2 rear doors with infinity speaker and sound alot better I can said is about 50% better, good bass, now I wonder anybody know is Camry JBL system have the same Amplify like Prius 3 JBL? Can we exchange it? is camry JBL amplify is more power than prius amplify? anybody know these info?

V/r

Khoi Nguyen

19. kknguyen1168

kknguyen1168 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hi all

just found out the Prius JBL is 86280-0w622 and camry jbl is 86280-0w390, so I guess it not going work:(

V/r

Khoi nguyen