1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius battery not holding up like second generation Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lucky1, Feb 19, 2014.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm getting my HV battery tested later today, so will post the results. I'm at 79,500 miles at the moment. If there are dud cells in there, then it's the use.

I used to use Eco mode in town and did question early on ( early 2010) whether this could cause premature failure of the battery. I was assured it wouldn't as the gen2 ran to 300k+ miles with no issues and that the gen3 could only be an improvement!?! I would have been happy with 200k miles, but issues at 80k is not a good sign.

I'll post the results of the test later.

Dhillonflygirl likes this.
  2. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is this something that the dealer can do? Similar to a 12v test?

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The HV battery is absolutely fine. Nothing showing up as wrong with it. I now have the warranty extended by 12 months.

I asked about the cycling from full to low and back again and it's either coincidental or it's age related but all within parameters.

MKART: The battery test is a UK/Europe wide thing. Our warranty was historically lower than yours on the hybrid side (100k/8 years instead of 150kmiles/10years), but once you get passed 100,000 miles you get unlimited mileage battery warranty upto 10 years SUBJECT to having the battery officially tested by a main dealer. This is included within one of their services OR you pay £40/$60.

The original gen3's (June 2009 - June 2010) only got a 60,000 mile 8 year hybrid warranty. Mine is one of those and to have this additional warranty is a good thing.

4. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Glad to hear your battery is good. The extended warranty should make you feel a lot better about the car and its hopeful reliability.

5. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    watch out the battery temp as I suspected. if you can log HV battery temparturefor a long run with obd tool, you would know the temperature fluctuation, gen3 battery is more compact in term of air Flow, especially HV battery is used a lot during stop and go city driving.

Hopefully. Toyota changes air inlet to let air flow running smoothly and has extra breath when needed, since many people does not care/know on air inlet on the back seat as back passengers.

6. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see all 3rd gen car as taxis in my city ehem.... small city :D..
    see once for awhile Fusion Hybrid Taxi too..

7. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They're not taking a beating like those in the UK. Our traffic here is minuscule compared to London.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's not the traffic. It's that you'd rarely get out of second gear (if you had a manual) without having to slow down to turn off. It's hard to describe our small streets where you never, ever get up to 30 mph for any length of time. I can't think of any similar city in America that would compare. Some of our streets are probably the length of 3 American houses. You set off, 10 seconds later you stop, you set off and 10 seconds later you stop. All day, every day, no gaps, no chance to stretch the cars legs, no chance to open it up and cruise at 40 mph, let alone 60. Just start, stop, start, stop. It's not the same as crawling in traffic in a New York rush hour. Imagine accelerating to 30 mph, then immediately slam on and stop, then repeat for 10 hours. That gets the battery warm and that's what seems to kill them.

AllenZ and hybridbear like this.
  9. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well, :D . Raleigh is not a good model for stop and go traffic.

one example on me, Atlanta Checker Taxi, They have a good amount of hybrid prius taxis.

if you ever been in Dowtown/midtown Atlanta, the traffic are pretty bad, drives on low speed and stop.
    this was the reason, I took MARTA as possible when I lived in Atlanta.
    driving downtwon and midtown Atlanta mostly driving as a snail with stop and go , cycling is fast compared with driving.

10. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    that my understanding: heat kills battery fast since gen3 battery pack is more compact dan less airflow than gen2.
    the inlet cooling location is easy to get blocked by back passengers

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  11. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Canta--- I would like to find out how the Fusion Hybrid is holding up under the taxi conditions-- If you ever get a chance ask one of the drivers if he knows how they are holding up. I am pretty lowal to Toyota but always keep an ear open for other options. We have some camry Hybrids on our fleet but I don't like the lack of trunk space with the hybrid battery taking up so much of the trunk in the Camry.

12. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lucky, I would do that..

I see once for a while during daily morning commute.