1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius battery temperature and fan modes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Shadyghabboun, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Shadyghabboun

Shadyghabboun New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone

Hope you are well and in good health

I have a 2010 prius and recently i started monitoring the temperature of the battery and to be honest i am a bit worried about what i found ... Ambient temperature here is around 37-40C
    And my battery temps are at the beginning of the trip were
    Temp1 37C
    Temp2 43C
    Temp 3 36.2C

and after 30 mins drive it was

Temp 1 50.2C
    Temp 2 53.4C
    Temp 3 48.9C
    And these temps are a bit on the high values and these temps were while the AC is on !!! But what i gound odd is that when i use the AC the fan mode is always on 1 and after the 52 it goes to mode 5 , however when i am not using the AC the fan mode goes up gradually...
    What do you suggest me to check first ?

Best Regards

Limey Geoff and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it was designed that way?

do you have toyota spec for battery temps to compare to?

3. Shadyghabboun

Shadyghabboun New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was checking more posts about the temperature and it seems that even in hotter environments it should not reach such temps or at least for such a quick drive.

as for the battery fan mode, I haven't found anything regarding this matter, it seems to have a somewhat complicated algorithm, but what I am referring to is that while using the AC the battery temperature rises up rather quickly, while it should be the other way around

bisco likes this.
  4. Shadyghabboun

Shadyghabboun New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am a bit of a newbie, and I was also wondering if this is the right place to post such a question or should I move it to another section?

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As a rule, if the car does not provide warnings it is ok. The system knows the ambient temperatures, load and normal battery temperature behaviors.

Given the ambient is 40c/104f when parked, the battery starts out at that temp. We are around that ambient now; I will be driving for at least 30 minutes and will monitor.

Results
    Drove about one hour total at 38c/101f ambient temperature. Hilly terrain around 60 mph. AC working well with a 24c/76f setpoint. The battery temp started at 38c and rose to 42c/107f.

So your results may be high. My car has quality ceramic window film and a reflective silver paint. However I would suspect your battery air intake could be blocked or more likely the battery fan blower is dirty.

#5 rjparker, Jul 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Xterra72 likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paging all the people who said turn you ac on and it will blow over the battery and cool down.

I pulled almost everything from the back seats, bench, tannaeu cover, spare tire cover & etc out from the back to improve overall AC air circulation in the hatch. It helps out but you can only carry a single passenger. There are times when my battery stayed 107F with ac on full blast with hv fan on max

7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Battery temperature takes well over one hour to reach equilibrium.
    If you get in a situation requiring repeated braking (hills, congestion, many consecutive stop signs, whatever) it will go a lot higher.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're in the right place. unfortunately, there aren't a lot of people who monitor their temps and try to decrease them.
    there have been a few innovators though, if you can find the threads

9. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Start here first. By your numbers it does not seem that the HV fan is functioning efficiently. It’s a very diy friendly job and will save you lots of $.