1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Blown Headgasket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by electrontechnik, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    to be fair, while not changing the coolant on time was a sort of abuse of the car, i'm not convinced it killed the gasket. i would be expecting more of water pump problems.

2. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To measure Toyota Long Life Coolant PH, you need a PH test strip that is chemically designed to measure PH in long-life coolants, not conventional (green) coolant, nor soil or pool water. The one I use is ACUSTRIP, Part No. 1550, Acustrip Coolant Test Strips, 800-947-2078. It measures PH and freeze/boiling point protection.

3. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can see what you mean, perhaps the color dye or other chemicals that are in the long life coolant could get in the way of an accurate examination by test strip. The way I see it though pH is pH from my chemistry classes.

Atari likes this.
  4. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A DIY would be awesome with step by step and pictures. I thought of checking the fuel injectors but they looked very complicate to take off so i didnt even try. But i would definitely like to check step by step for gasket changing.

5. Jim Alexander

Jim Alexander New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey! I am currently working on a 2011 Prius with tons of miles (almost 350,000), it has identical issues where it rattles at startup, and when accelerating at low speeds. Check Engine light has been on for a while, which is for a cylinder misfire. I originally replaced the spark plugs months back, going to change the ignition coils but doubt thta'd do anything. I think the engine is fine, but not sure how to fix that seal/gasket as the coolant is definitely decreasing, as their is white smoke/cloud coming out when the engine is being used.

Appreciate any help!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine is not "fine" if coolant is being burnt in the combustion chambers. Time to install a used engine from the salvage yard.

amos and m.wynn like this.
  7. Jim Alexander

Jim Alexander New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sorry I used the word fine, I should've just said it drives, for now. A new engine is currently not an option as many mechanics around the area are asking for at least $2,000+. Furthermore, all the salvage yards around my area don't even carry the model Prius I am looking at (I checked for a 100 mile radius).

I was hoping OP or someone had more details how they went to resolve the issue, at least temporarily, since the car is only intended to be used for short commutes.

8. Vadim

Vadim New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys,I am experiencing same symptoms at my prius 2013 ,how big is the head gasket job,where can I find details ,perhaps video on how to change it? Do you need to resurface the head also?,where can I buy the gasket kit? Perhaps anyone knows from A to Z in details?

amos likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Here's a thread that would interest you;

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

If in San Francisco, 2 good local options are Arts Automotive in Berkeley or Luscious Garage in San Francisco.

How many miles on your Prius? How long have the symptoms been present? Are you the DIY type with a place to work?

Keep us posted (y).

amos likes this.
  10. Vadim

Vadim New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi there! I actually want to do it myself, I have got some automotive experience and skills, I just want to know the steps and all data perhaps someone has it on how to change the head gasket? What needs to come off? How many hours of work? Do I need to resurface the head? What is the foot lb torque on putting back and tightness ? And so on...? It just happened about 2 weeks ago when I have noticed the coolant reservoir level got to minimum, and when is cold or it's been sat for some time it will run with misfire for 10 sec and then it's good...

11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One way to ensure you get the information you are looking for would be to go here:

techinfo.toyota.com

There are various subscriptions that you can do, but a 2 day is $15. Have a printer ready ;).

Look forward to your updates (y).

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's something, still, I think just the tip of the iceberg: a number of the steps are "go see this other section". Have a read, and if you're still game I can dig up those other sections.

Attached Files:

JPrius54 and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. tomhalv

tomhalv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had the same exact systems as the first post in this thread. 2010 Prius 160000 miles, oil changed every 5 or 6 thousand, antifreeze changed at 60 and again 120000 miles. Original owner. Head gasket leaking antifreeze in cylinder one. 2100.00 (110.00 per hour labor rate) out the door to replace head gasket at my Toyota dealership. Not happy about this but the car is to good to part out. I replaced the gasket at the dealership, hope I can get another 150000 miles from the Prius. It has been a really good car the last 160000 miles, just brakes and one front wheel bearing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Replacing the head gasket without cleaning/replacing the EGR system will lead to another head gasket. I also think the PCV system causing the startup knock also contributes.

Pixel XL ?

#54 mjoo, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    amos and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Atari

Atari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'm relatively close to your area. What shop did you use and what did they charge for this? Thanks!

16. Atari

Atari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Exactly. You could always ask Acustrip or others if their special ph testing technology is patented or somehow different than the $5-$10 PH testing strips or rolls you can get from your pharmacist. I mean, other than having "FOR COOLANT TESTING!" written on the side. Sensitivity increments (the picture guide on the side) for a range common / applicable to coolant being "good" or "bad" may be the unique factor here? Me... I'm paying $6 for 100. :)

@Den49

amos and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Jessicak

Jessicak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So here is my sad head gasket story...I have a 2010 Prius V with 177,000 miles. I have never had any problems with the car and it has never overheated. I started having cold start knocking and knocking when the engine would kick in after idoling, which eventually let to a check engine light. I took the car in for a diagnostic and had the misfire codes, p301,302,304 I had all spark plugs changed, all 4 coils replaced and did a fuel system clean. After all of this the car seemed to run better but still got a cold start knocking and engine light 2 days later. After taking it back today, the mechanic put 150 psi air through the gasket and got bubbles in the coolant and was told this was definitely due to a blown head gasket. Any thoughts on how to move forward?

18. peakay

peakay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. JPrius54

JPrius54 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Mendel Leisk,

I have a 2010 Prius with 185K miles and what seems to be symptoms of a blown head gasket (fluid in on the spark plug in cylinder 1, lowering coolant levels, and CEL code P0301 & P0300). I've already changed the air intake gasket, replaced the spark plugs, coils, and fuel injectors, along with cleaning the EGR and MAF sensor...However, the vehicle still has issues with the fluid in cylinder one and a rough idle when initially starting up in the morning. This has led me to assume it's a blown head gasket...

By chance do you have all the manual procedures for replacing a head gasket on the Prius? I noticed you posted part of a file for the instructions, but I wanted to know if you have all the piece from start to finish to outline what to do for this service? I am trying to complete it DIY, but need the data sheets for this whole job. Thanks in advance if you are able/willing to help.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll post what I have when I'm at my computer, later today. It would be nice to have a start-to-finish PDF; as-is it's a bit here and a bit there. Watch gasket masters videos too.

Attachments added. Let me know if you need more:

#60 Mendel Leisk, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020