1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Brake, ABS, Traction Control Lights On

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jkan2001, Nov 28, 2017.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, that makes sense then. They probably didn't work on it until Saturday.
    But I'm glad it's fixed and it only cost you some time. :)

2. Apatel1101

Apatel1101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    And 129.99 which they refuse to give back even tho they did it under warranty. Didnt really argue because i was so over it. I ll probably try to make a claim directly with toyota.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would do that. Or file a dispute with the credit card company if that's how you paid.
    But $130 is pretty cheap for what you got, even if it was supposed to be warranty.
    And then inform them you will be going to a different toyota dealer in the future, and tell of your
    poor experience on the social media sites! :) :)

4. Sam2019

Sam2019 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had ABS, Traction, Break light on my Pris 2010.
    The mechanic (not at dealers) did diagnosis and code C0210 and C1238 popped up and he analyzed.
    I read and watched youtube videos, different answers, breaks, brake fluid, calipers, bearings, ABS sensors, etc.
    The mechanic said the right rear wheel has ABS sensor fail in Wheel Hub/Bearing.
    He replaced it, charged me $80 for diagnosis and labor, the part was purchased original Toyota- I paid for the part.
    After coming home I checked the part and is available at a low price at another location. Please see the picture.
    Also read the highlighted yellow-that indicates that the indicator light for ABS, traction -need wheel hub bearing replacement.

After changing this part-all three lights vanished.

upload_2019-10-4_22-11-2.png

5. Sam2019

Sam2019 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    upload_2019-10-4_22-17-36.png

upload_2019-10-4_22-18-18.png

Please see the highlighted yellow-from Toyota parts website. The part information has a diagnosis of the problem.

My 2010 Prius II has ABS, traction, brake lights on.
    Diagnosis at mechanic revealed codes C0210 and C1238. He told that precisely-right rear wheel hub and bearing assembly's sensor not working. He replaced the only one part-Right rear Wheel Hub/Bearing -because he said only the sensor can not be replaced. All three lights vanished-after the new part was installed.

6. Sam2019

Sam2019 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2010 Prius II, the problem of ABS, traction, brake light was resolved by mechanic C0210 and C1238 codes -specific diagnosis right rear wheel hub/bearing (sensor) failure. The part was replaced- and all 3 lights vanished. Please see the highlighted yellow on part information in the picture below that educates the problem and part replacement.

upload_2019-10-4_22-29-13.png

bisco likes this.
  7. pingd

pingd Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to consider the OBD2 code scanner - BlueDriver - available at Amazon for $99.95.
    It can pull brake/ABS codes (but of course, not all the Toyota in-depth codes that Techstream can).
    I personally have found it quite accurate ... maybe check the reviews to see if it is right for you.

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you spend $100 for diagnostic equipment, I’d want it to work for what I need it to;).

Here’s an option for sale now at half that price which has Techstream:

VCX Nano

That is better than the mini VCI setup most of us have(y).

SFO likes this.
  9. 2010 owner

2010 owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks! On my second trip to the dealer for this issue, I (mistakenly) mentioned your “ball” bearing response, but from that they knew to check “wheel” bearing. The parts & labor quote is $990.

10. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PC (PriusChat). How many miles are on your Prius?

If you're a moderately experienced mechanic, you could do the R&R yourself, and save about $800. But the hub is a pain to remove, with the corrosion we experience up here in New England. I had to replace both of mine, not for ABS codes, but for a low growling sound the actual bearings were making.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Open letter to Toyota: PLEASE grease the outsides of the bearings before pressing them in.

pjksr02 likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They aren't even pressed in. New one slips right in. Totally down to corrosion supplying the headaches getting it out.

Mendel Leisk and pjksr02 like this.
  13. Clayton Gardner

Clayton Gardner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    SOLVED!
    I found another thread with a possible fix that worked for me. Basically you start by straightening your tires and wheel
    disengage your parking brake,
    find the cg and ts ports on obd2 and jump them with a paper clip.
    -cg is #4
    -The treacherous one is TS. In a Gen 1, it's pin 14, but in a Gen 2 or 3, it's pin 12! (In a Gen 4, I don't think there is a TS.)
    Press the power button twice without pressing the brake.
    Your dash will start blinking a bunch of Lights. There'll be a yellow brake light that blinks at least once a second. During this time you will hear your brakes making funny noises. The system is resetting itself Let It Go through the process. Once it's done that yellow light will blink about 4 times a second.
    Press power
    Remove the paper clip
    Turn your car on like normal and hopefully its reset. Hopefully it works for you like it did for me.
    I found the answer off this other thread

Brake, ABS, and traction lights | PriusChat
    About 4 comments down by ChapmanF

#93 Clayton Gardner, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2020
  14. Clayton Gardner

Clayton Gardner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    SOLVED!
    I found another thread with a possible fix that worked for me. Basically you start by straightening your tires and wheel
    disengage your parking brake,
    find the cg and ts ports on obd2 and jump them with a paper clip.
    -cg is #4
    -The treacherous one is TS. In a Gen 1, it's pin 14, but in a Gen 2 or 3, it's pin 12! (In a Gen 4, I don't think there is a TS.)
    Press the power button twice without pressing the brake.
    Your dash will start blinking a bunch of Lights. There'll be a yellow brake light that blinks at least once a second. During this time you will hear your brakes making funny noises. The system is resetting itself Let It Go through the process. Once it's done that yellow light will blink about 4 times a second.
    Press power
    Remove the paper clip
    Turn your car on like normal and hopefully its reset. Hopefully it works for you like it did for me.
    I found the answer off this other thread

Brake, ABS, and traction lights | PriusChat
    About 4 comments down by ChapmanF

#94 Clayton Gardner, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2020
  15. robomoto

robomoto Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Weird. I had these same 3 lights come on in my car intermittently, causing loss of regen braking. The first few times I turned off the car then back on and it went way for a while. Then it came on all the time.

I think I solved mine without spending any money. What I did was after reading this thread I checked all my wheel speed sensors. For the fronts, I unscrewed the sensors from the hub, cleaned it with a rag and put them back in. They weren't dirty, just a bit of dust. The rears, I didn't have the right pliers to take the electrical connector off from the hubs' speed sensors so I just wiggled the connection a bunch of times because I could sense some play there, and pushed them back in as far as I could. I think the problem was dirt, freezing water and grime got inside the connector in this freezing weather messed up the proper electrical contact inside of there.

This seems to have made the lights go away. I've driven it for about 5 hours without the lights after this. If these lights happen to you, you should try this first. Just try to clean your speed sensors and wiggle them back in tight.

16. Aye Gee

Aye Gee New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey did you end up getting this repaired? Im having an issue where all the previous lights mentioned turn on, but when I keep my foot depressed on the brake pedal all the way down for a couple of seconds it turns off, its very weird but i need all the help i can get