1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - brake booster - Sell or Keep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mkprius, Aug 14, 2023.

1. mhdriver

mhdriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Oh, only a SLIGHT advantage over me, who has trouble discerning one end of a wrench from the other.

Mendel Leisk and ASRDogman like this.
  2. Dlewisa

Dlewisa New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tend to agree about the EGR. But I think it is also in combination with the PCV system. The exhaust is sooty and gross and the oil in the manifold catches that soot and clogs the ports. Then the cooler clogs and everything is out of whack and not performing consistently across all cylinders. From what I've heard Toyota never recommended cleaning or replacing cooler, just replacing the valve and had some kind of software update. I think it was CarCareNut on youtube that did a video about it and said he'd get grief from people about not cleaning the cooler. And he should get grief about it, because it's short sighted. If we imagine that the EGR valve is a mouth that talks or sings when open then we can see that it doesn't matter if the mouth works properly when there's no air supply!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota could be considered a “hostile witness” on this subject? They’ve designed and implemented a system that reliably clogs, with an engine that reliably blows head gaskets. All of this by 150~200k miles. There is a warranty extension for the EGR system, but its language, and its omissions, suggest a protracted huddle with their lawyers.

FWIW, fourth gen has a similar EGR system, with some very fundamental revisions (which were even touted in a Toyota press release); it barely soots up, even when inspected with 300k plus miles (Tampa Hybrids verified), and the only head gasket failures reported here so far, were likely due coolant leaks in the exhaust heat recovery system.

4. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think he advised against having a clean EGR cooler, and he also did not discourage DIYers from cleaning it out. For a paying customer that comes to a Toyota tech, however, the only way to ensure it is in perfect working condition is to replace it with a new one. Cleaning takes more time and has variable results, and shop time is precious.

ASRDogman likes this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He told why they don't clean parts. If he cleaned a part, that a DIYer would, and there is a problem,
    he will have to repair it for no additional cost to the customer. Plus the customer will not be happy it wasn't
    fixed the first time.

Since the cooler doesn't have any moving parts, and is stainless steel, cleaning it wouldn't be a problem.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That Toyota dropped us in it, and the dealerships refuse to clean parts that eminently cleanable, what a SNAFU.