1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - Change wheel speed sensor - how to reset lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by McGarnagle, Nov 1, 2021.

1. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Damaged my front wheel speed sensor. Seems like an easy enough replacement. I ordered the part, but it seems like the lights don't just go away with a new sensor. What is the procedure for reseting the lights? There seems to be all kinds of info here from disconnecting the battery to using jumpers on the OBD connector. Is there an accepted procedure I can do without any Toyota scan tools or will I need the dealer to do it?

Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you know what codes you have yet?

That makes a difference in what has to be done to make the lights go away.

3. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know what the codes are. It is a damaged front left wheel speed sensor. I know it is the problem. I did it. Seems fairly easy to replace but from what I have read codes and lights don't just go away once it is replaced.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not super uncommon for a car to have more than one issue, and a person has an idea what one of them is, and therefore says "I know what 'the' issue is, don't need to read no steenkin' trouble codes" and never finds out what the other issue(s) is(are), or why the car's warning lights are on.

5. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It appears I was a bit pre-emptive in my question. Put in the new wheel speed sensor (OEM from the dealer) and drove the car. After about 20 yards all the lights disappeared, regen braking was back, and car was back to normal. So for future reference if you just need to replace a wheel speed sensor due to a damaged wire the lights will go away on their own. I read so many posts and watched so many videos of people doing things that included wheel speed sensors and they needed to reset the lights through various different methods. I did not have to.

Sorry for wasting anyone's time but perhaps this can help someone in the future know it is a pretty simple fix without a need to touch the diagnostics.