1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius "Check Hybrid System" - after hard braking - (P3190, P3191, P0A0F, P0A0D)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Eric Ho, May 31, 2018.

1. Eric Ho

Eric Ho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am new to the forums and have been reading up on "check hybrid system" issues, but haven't found anything to help me yet. I have a 2010 Prius II and the "Check Hybrid System" came on while driving and the battery stopped recharging (even the animation didn't show it charging), drove about 300 feet or so and the car stopped and wouldn't start, but electrics were on. The only thing I can think that happened before this was that I broke really hard, drove a little and then all the lights turned on.

I had it towed and it turned on for about 10 seconds and then shut off. It was getting late so I decided to work on it the next day. However on the next morning the "Ready" light did not turn on and the engine did not start, but electrics worked.

I tried and checked a few things. I changed the engine air filter, cleaned the HV fan under the rear seat, checked a few of the basic connections without taking off the cover for the HV battery, unplugged the 12v battery for 15 minutes and reconnected, pushed the start button without brake pedal 3 times on/off then turning on the car, and checked fuses.

The 12v battery was changed about 30,000 miles ago, car has 170,000 miles on it.

I ran a reader initially and got the codes: P3190, P0A0F, P3000, C1259, and "Evaporative system leak test failed"

I cleaned the HV fan and engine air filter, then ran the reader again and got: P0A0D, C1259, and the Evap Leak

I then noticed the Service Safety Plug for the HV battery was not locked in. I unhooked it, hooked it back up and locked it properly. Then I got the codes: P3190, P3191, P0A0F, P0A0D, and the Evap Leak

After the Service Safety Plug, the car started again, but for only 10 seconds, then off. Once the engine turned on again, I also tried putting it into drive because I read the engine could stay on, but when I tried, it stayed on for maybe 15 seconds, shuttered then turned off, and electrics were all on.

I am going to test the HV batteries and make sure they are still strong next, and was also considering changing the spark plugs (which I believe needs to be done anyways). Also maybe check the fuel pump?

After that, I am not too sure what else to do. I was hoping to get some advice or pointers maybe to see what else I could do.

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Eric

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you probably need tech stream, and a subscription to the on line service manual for troubleshooting.
    all the best!(y)

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:

• How did the orange safety plug get dislodged:whistle:?
    • Have you cleaned the throttle body?
    • If you cleaned the throttle body, how did you do so?
    • What other work has recently been done?
    • Any damage in the cars past?
    • Has the IPM for the inverter been done?
    Keep us posted (y).

4. Eric Ho

Eric Ho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thx for responses!
    Ray, not sure about the safety plug, I just remember seeing it unlocked, but might have been from hard braking?
    No throttle body cleaning. Minor accidents.

But either way, I needed gas.. :oops: . Fuel pump slowly going bad, just needed more gas in the tank for the pump to work right.

Thanks again!

Derricksg3 likes this.