1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Clock Spring Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by GoliathMV, May 18, 2018.

1. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello Forum,

I was driving my 2010 Toyota Prius and tore the Clock Spring behind the Steering wheel. I ordered a replacement from E-Bay was able to replace just by watching a video on YouTube I will include video below. My problem is after installation of the Clock Spring. The remote modules on the steering wheel won't raise the volume anymore can't change audio modes. I haven't checked if I lost my Cruise control yet but I got my horn and Airbags back online. Has this happened to anyone who changed a Clock Spring? Any advice I noticed the female plug on the new spring doesn't engage with the Male connector with a snap like before. Could that be the cause of the issue?

#1 GoliathMV, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like that would be the first place to look.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheap knock-off clock springs have been known to have problems as well as longevity issues. They also seem to cr@p out within 1-2 years.

As you probably don't want to be doing the job on a regular basis, just hit up the myriad of online Toyota parts websites and find the best price for OEM part. You will find with an OEM part, the female plug on the new spring will engage with the Male connector with a snap just like before.

4. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had the Ebay store send me a replacement. Got the new one in and everything was fine till I noticed that now my remote function on the radio is not working and the buttons on the radio also dont work other than the power and volume knobs. I will leave it for now and consider swapping for an OEM replacement part. So much for cutting cost.