1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Codes C1259, C1310

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Masihullah Qudratzai, May 8, 2023.

1. Masihullah Qudratzai

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hello everyone,

I own a Japanese Gen3 Prius 2010, I have had it for almost 3 months now. The car was doing pretty good. A few days ago when I was driving home from the office, all of a sudden all the lights showed up on the dashboard including a message which I translated from Japanese saying "Check Hybrid System" . I directly went to a nearby mechanic (the best we have in Afghanistan) and he ran some tests and told me it needs to be reprogrammed. He did programmed it (as he said), but I was sure that he just cleared the codes.

The car was doing good for a day and everything appeared again the next day. The petrol engine was running all the way and was making weird noises when I was turning the car off. I went to the same mechanic and told him to run the tests but do not clear the codes and give the codes to me instead. The codes were:

C1259: HV Control System Regenerative Malfunction
    C1310: HV System Malfunction

The problem is, no mechanic is actually good with Hybrids in Afghanistan. I really need help with this issue. 20230507_164706.jpg

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those two codes only mean that a different ECU in the car (the power management control ECU) has trouble codes of its own, and those are the ones that matter; regrettably, the mechanic used a scan tool that was not able to see those codes.

A better scan tool will be needed to find out what those codes are. I am afraid I know nothing about how easy that will be to find in Afghanistan. There is a thread here (Gen 2 specific, but may be useful) reviewing tools that may work, but I do not know how many might be available there.

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My guess is your mechanic just reset codes using a generic scanner which was not good enough to read all hybrid related codes. A Toyota "Techstream" scanner that runs on a PC is the best scanner to use on a Prius, so you might check around for a shop who has one. Most likely there are more codes that are more specific.

The most common issue on an old Prius is a worn out hybrid battery. Sometimes a battery will force the engine to run excessively.

If it was running with reduced speed and power, eg limp mode, another common issue is a bad inverter. Both of these issues are easily detected with a Techstream scanner. There are many other possible issues as well.

4. Masihullah Qudratzai

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I already ordered an OBDII (AUTOFIX 3210) but that would take a month or so to get delivered to me. I just need a clue, do I need to look for damaged components and corroded connector's pins or maybe bad battery cells? or do I need to wait for a better scan tool?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ordinarily I would advise just waiting for the tool and getting the trouble codes, because there are a couple hundred of those possible, so your efforts can be much, much better focused once you know which ones you have.

The delay of a month or so complicates the argument. Maybe you want to get a head start on checking for some of the possible issues, maybe those that seem to be reported more commonly, or that seem to match on the most observed symptoms.

At the same time, you may want, while checking for such issues, to avoid doing work that might cause new ones, or complicate the troubleshooting later. I don't have cut-and-dried answers for how to balance all of that.

6. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You might want to consider a different scanner instead of or in addition to the Autofix.

Here are a couple of questions and answers about the Autofix 3210 from the Amazon site. This suggests that the Autofix software won't diagnose a hybrid battery and may not allow you to use apps that will. A good app for diagnosis of hybrid batteries is called Dr Prius and works with most general OBDII devices.

Question:
    Does this show information on the amount of charge and discharge to the hybrid battery?
    Answer:
    Dear Customer, This OBDii scanner works with Gas vehicles. Hybrid car will not compatible. Thank you

Question:
    Does this scanner work with the Carly app?
    Answer:
    Sorry, this scanner can only work with OBDMate app.

And, an Amazon review: "Bought this to diagnose my Gen 2 Prius. The product and the app worked together very well and without any hassle. However, I cannot use it with other external apps, such as Dr. Prius to diagnose my hybrid battery."

Here is a link to the Dr Prius website. It includes suggestions for OBDII devices: priusapp.com

Note: The Dr. Prius app is specifically to diagnose the hybrid battery. See the thread that Chapman recommends for more suggestions.

#6 royrose, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023