1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Connection notes from San Francisco

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 200Volts, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there's a degree of confusion over what the MFD term means. I think many posters here are using it to refer to the LCD backlit touch-screen in the main console, to the side of the steering wheel. That screen is used for navigation and backup camera (i.e. Navi optional package on Prius III-V).

The term Multi-Information Display seems to be new and by inference, it seems to mean the new vacuum-fluorescent display alongside the speedometer, in the instrument panel. This display is on all cars as it takes over the instrumentation roles from the MFD in the second-generation Prius.

Climate control is all done by the new panel below the audio/navigation system, leaving the LCD backlit screen only for navigation, audio, and backup camera/park assist.

My own view: good riddance. Touchscreen is a horrible interface for car climate controls, or anything that the driver may want to adjust while driving, as the controls cannot be found by touch.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the explanation of why the 2nd Gen car is the way it is.

This goes along with the 08 Prius brochure - 'Toyota introduced the Prius and created a phenomenom. In fact, its success took us by surprise...'

Seems like they didn't expect it to be so popular in the US.

3. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I corrected my initial post to say no "traditional Gen2" MFD is on the low end models. I hope this clears this up for new readers.

The 0.5mpg loss with 17 inch wheels is an estimate. The Toyota guy I was talking with (not an engineer) did not give this out as an exact number, so please take it as an estimate.