1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius constant AC compressor noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike Bezuyevskiy, May 29, 2022.

1. Mike Bezuyevskiy

Mike Bezuyevskiy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius with 180k miles that started making this noise a few weeks ago. I took it to the mechanic who told me it was coming from the ac compressor. The AC still works and the sound does not change when I turn it on.

In the video, there is also another sound that I was told was coming from the transmission, that may be hard to hear over the main (air compressor?) sound.

Let me know if you have any thoughts:

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That sound seems normal for the AC. If you haven't changed the transaxle fluid before, it would be a good time to change it. But the sounds don't seem abnormal

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's a noisy mofo right there I'll have to do that with my phone in a separate microphone and see if my car sounds anything like that I'm sitting in mine driving it now and there is no way in the world even when I get out and listen to the engine running no sir with the hood up in my face in the bay

4. Mike Bezuyevskiy

Mike Bezuyevskiy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes! I plan on doing the transaxle fluid next. The sound does seem louder than normal as I haven't heard it before.