1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Dashboard Rattles - Please Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Hue, Dec 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hue

Hue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my 2010 Prius in June. I did not notice this annoying rattle until August. Now that it's cold outside, it is much more prominent.

I have been able to identify three different rattles in the dashboard while I am driving (does not happen when stationary): Driver door, steering wheel, center console/navigation screen.

1.) Happens the least amount of time but it is the loudest: TWhere the driver-side door and the dashboard connect to the left of the vents. Very annoying loud rattle. Applying pressure or banging on the most left part of the dashboard immediately removes it.

2.) The left-center of the dashboard where the steering wheel is. I don't know if it's actually the dashboard, or the plastic that the steering wheel is connected to, but it's in that area. I have tried applying pressure while driving but I can't pin-point the exact area it's occurring. If my boyfriend is with me, I have him bang on the dashboard with his fist where the steering wheel is, and the sound disappears or gets much quiet temporarily.

3.) The center console/navigation screen area - can get quite loud. Applying pressure and holding the center console still gets rid of this. The problem while driving is WHERE to apply pressure. I need two hands to do this, but when I'm stopped, I can't tell if the rattle is going to start again until I start driving.

I read other threads where people talked about fixes with felt or foam, but the links for those photos no longer exist, so it's hard to see what they're talking about.

The rattle every morning to work pisses me off so much. I can't bang very hard and I'm sure it's not good for the car, but I can't stand the rattle and don't know what to do, especially because I can't tell exactly where it's coming from! Do I really have to take apart the dashboard?!

Please help!!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try pm'ing the people who posted the pics, and see if they respond.

3. Hue

Hue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello, the Prius Expert edited the photos but unfortunately the noises mentioned aren't the same ones that I am experiencing in my car (on the driver side door/dashboard, steering wheel, and center navigation screen), so it's not helpful.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it. i know a lot of people have fixed rattles with a bit of felt here and there, some have had to delve further into the dash than i would be willing to go.

5. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just turn the heat and JBL system up. It’s all hard plastic, to be expected.