1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Display turns on but engine won't start or go into gear.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Neminemmiten, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Neminemmiten

Neminemmiten New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so I've looked everywhere for someone to have a similar issue and cannot find it.

I go to turn on my car. I push the break, the button turns green, I push it and hold it. The first time I do this, the side displays come on (gas, mpg, a whole bunch of warning lights on the other side), but the main display does not. I can only turn the car off by pressing the button without pressing the break.

When I turn it back on, the whole display comes on. (The oil maintenance required soon warning has been coming on for the past week or so).

Usually the engine will turn on at least for a minute or so but there is absolutely nothing. Just the buzz of the battery. I try to put the car in gear and it won't switch at all. When I tap the gas, nothing. When I tap the brakes, the lights on the display dim and when I let off they come back up. I used my windshield wipers since there was some snow and they run really really slowly.

Do you think this is a battery issue? I do not want to have to tow if I do not have to. Should I try to get a jump and see if that helps? '

Any other suggestions to save me money of having to tow it to a Toyota dealer to be diagnosed.

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a dead 12v battery. Jump starting should work. If it starts, just buy a new battery

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat(y)!

Is the original 12v battery still there, or have you replaced it before? Do you have an OBD2 scanner? How many miles on your Prius? How long has this problem been occurring?

4. Neminemmiten

Neminemmiten New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure if it is the original, I bought it used in 2013. I've never replaced it before but the dealership may have. I do not have an OBD2 scanner and have no idea what that even is. There are 57,000 miles on the Prius. I haven't driven it since last Sunday and just found out about the problem today.

I found a video on youtube (called 2011 Prius won't become Ready by user Forevertowander, sorry can't link since I'm so new) with the same exact problem as me. It seems to be the 12v battery. Would a jump be enough for me to then be able to drive and get a new battery?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Neminemmiten

Neminemmiten New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you might be right. Found a video with the same problem and in the comments they say the battery went bad.

6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It should be. Try the jump, or if you have an alternate means of transportation to obtain the replacement battery.

Be careful when jumping the car, if you reverse the polarity, you can cause expensive damage.

Keep us posted(y).

7. Neminemmiten

Neminemmiten New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going to try the jump tomorrow when it is warmer and the snow has melted. Yes, I watched out to do the jump on youtube. I should be good. Thank you!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is also in the owners manual how to do it. Best to check and confirm prior to performing and avoiding regret later;).

9. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Battery's usually don't last past 3-4 years. So it looks like it's time to change it out. :) Also in cold weather with an old battery, it tends to not work so well lol.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Odds are the dealership would not have replaced it, in 2013. Try hooking up a multimeter, at the underhood jump point in fuse box, and see what voltage reads.

Starting on page 543 of Owner's Manual:

upload_2017-3-4_17-32-38.png
    upload_2017-3-4_17-33-6.png

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  11. DOCallah

DOCallah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    04001692-29B1-4AF4-8153-76B19DA58DC9.jpeg CB780DD0-DA1D-4694-9731-F1F1693EEB7C.jpeg Had same problem with 2013 Prius. Measured voltage at 12.4v which compared to my 2013 Prius V Five. Problem was intermittent and happened at night. Swapped batteries between cars and problem followed the battery to my Prius V four days later.

Note: No DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) stored either.

12. DOCallah

DOCallah New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  13. Telkwa

Telkwa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your symptoms sure sound like mine when I posted here last week. My 12V battery was down to 9.9 volts. I bought a new battery from the dealer. They're expensive as hell but whaddyagonna do.
    Problems went away with new battery.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If his battery’s been dead since he started this thread in 2017, he’s got bigger problems.