1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Driving Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Re: 2010 Prius Driving Impressions Thread

I have 65,000 miles on my 2007 Prius. I haven't done your "test". When I'm driving my other cars, I notice where I enter the Interstate at full throttle. I like to be at or just above the speed limit when I merge. With the Prius, I have to back off before the end of the on-ramp or I will be way above the speed limit when I get to the end. With my other cars, I am still accellerating at the point where I back off in the Prius. I'm still amazed at the quickness of the Prius.

I will be test-driving a 2010 soon and expect an improvement.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: 2010 Prius Driving Impressions Thread

Don't forget to report back!

I haven't done any comparisons between my GenII and GenIII.. but you do get an illusion in the GenIII that your not accelerating too much because the smoothness of the suspension and feel doesn't "tell you" that your going fast... your only real clue is the gentle feeling of it pulling you back in your seat and things go by faster in your peripheral vision!

Going 90mph feels the same as going 60 to me.
    If you floor it while going 60, it won't be long at all and you'll be going 90!

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have never had issues with acceleration especially if going from like 45 to 75. we did a route down thru central Oregon then back up the coast on hiway 101 last summer in the SPM. the coast trip was windy curvy with a TON of very slow traffic. short distances and infrequent opportunities to pass. when we had to, we were able to get pass with minimal issues. most of the passing areas happened when going up hill because that is when regular passing lanes were available making the power even that much more impressive.

keep in mind we were on a 5 day road trip and were loaded to the gills. every inch of space was taken up. granted, sleeping bags and tents arent heavy but still more weight than we normally carried.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First Week's Impression

So.. I've had my car for a week. Here are my initial impressions. Some will be different from PCD as Toyota may have tweaked the car since then or I may have found new solutions to my previous issues. My vehicle is a Canadian Technology Package model.

Exterior:

• Love the paint. Metallic flakes are visible (Blue Ribbon)
    • Not sure if I like the door panels. They vibrate when I close (front door)
    • Backup camera works well so far. Still getting used to the car (After driving the smart for a year)
    • Haven't scraped anything yet (knock on wood)
    • The moonroof is actually quite streamline when opened. It's barely visible in photos at certain angles (although you can definitely see the wind deflector cause that points up quite sharply)
    • Visibility is good and I think the mirrors are larger than before
    • Not sure why some parts of the wheel wells aren't sprayed with the anti-chip coating (the black stuff)
    • I finally understood what people were talking about with the exposed screws. It isn't noticeable on a dark coloured car
    • Rear bumper protector is useful. It wraps around the bumper
    • Washer spray pattern seems awfully low. The driver's side sprays the wiper at its resting position. :confused: The rear barely sprays out (kinda like the old Prius... but worse).
    • I like that it takes less energy to close the rear hatch. The struts have been adjusted
    • Back to small details. Toyota is the only one that I can think of that actually deflects their LED tail/brake lights. Most others, you can see each individual bulb. With Toyota's design, you see a red blob light instead of a red dot. The advantage (I believe) is that the light is viewable at a wider angle if it's reflected off a surface (You can adjust the beam pattern) vs. just having the diode face the rear of the car
    Interior:

• Variable-speed power rear windows is nice (for those that missed the original posts)
    • ALL the lighting that Toyota added adds up to a pleasant interior, might I say a bit upscale - power window switches, power door lock switch, ambient lighting, footwell lighting, illuminated door sills, illuminated steering wheel buttons etc etc. Most are standard on other cars (e.g. Lexus) but these are new to Toyota
    • Interior is lot quieter. Wind noise is kept to a minimum. Road noise is good but not excellent. I believe the windshield is of the acoustic type. I cannot hear the wiper when the car is in motion and I can barely hear it when stopped (with the radio off). The rear wiper on the other hand is just as noisy as the old one
    • Legroom is just as impressive as the old one. I might wager the rear has more even though the specs say otherwise. There seems more space in the "sitting-behind-myself" test.
    • Steering position is a bit odd. The steering wheel is offset to the left a tad
    • The wheel is an ok diameter. The leather feels soft but the smart's leather-wrapped steering wheel is better
    • Leather is of decent quality. Again, can't beat the Germans. My smart's leather feels more expensive than the Prius'
    • The front seats is actually quite firm for a Toyota.
    • Nice touches such as felt-lined pillars and rubber-based interior door closing grip (or handle).
    • I still don't like the reduced storage space
    • I don't like the cupholder placement in the centre console box (eats up into the already limited space) but it is quite deep
    • nav is hard to see with the moonroof sunshade retracted
    • gloveboxes are no longer lined with felt and both of them lose a shelf
    • Why is the console tray hinged?
    • Would be nice if the interior backlit lights for the radio/climate control were amber instead of green
    • The interior door panel moves in and out when the window is opened/closed
    • The solar panels work!! No sunshade and 30°C highs. It's decently cool when I get into the car in the evening after work. (haven't used the Remote A/C yet).
    • The all-season mats now have a warning printed on them thanks to the idiots who caused the floor mat recall
    • The seat height mechanism is quite nice. It doesn't tilt the seat too far forward when you raise the seat (unlike some other Toyotas where you raise the seat and it only raises the rear portion of the seat bottom)
    • Now that the rear hump is nearly gone, whoever sits in the middle will definitely want to step in that area. For those that want a rubber mat for it, I've found a solution and it's at Canadian Tire. I'll post a pic if I get any request for it.
    • Why aren't the dome and personal lights indepedent?? The OFF position for the personal lights turn both the personal and the dome off. You can't have one or the other turn on with the opening of the doors. It's either both on or both off
    • The all-season mats are lighter than before. The old ones have a nice heft to them
    • The cargo floor no longer has a stand to hold it up. Guess you just fold it back flat against the floor?

Driving:

• Steering feel is definitely better than the old Prius. Still can be improved
    • Better mpg. 58mpg (55mpg if I include the 5km from the dealer)
    • Suspension seems well tuned. I hear the bumps more than I feel them.
    • Tyre pressures weren't set right at the dealer. Currently set at 39/37.
    • Wind noise is fairly low at 60km/h with the moonroof open at its first stop. It is quite noisy above 30km/h or 40km/h at its second stop
    • Radar cruise is awesome!! It actually brakes quite hard if it needs to (cruising at 100km/h and it braked to 60km/h within a short distance)
    • IPA works well in most cases. The Pre-Support sets it up perfectly if conditions are right. On a few occasions, it was a little far to one side.
    • So far, I've only had one nav misprononciation.
    • Headlight beam pattern is quite nice (these are halogens) and decently bright
    • Wipers have a nice large sweep
    • Someone pointed out that the intermittent settings have been reversed. Yes they have. I'm not sure why
    • The engine does seem to warm up faster but then again it's 30°C outside :p. Put it this way, it shuts down faster when starting cold
    • I've noticed that the computer will let the battery charge vary more often. I've gotten down to 3 bars on many occasions. On the '05, I can control that and keep down to 5 bars max and only have it drain to 3 bars if I'm heavily using the A/C or crawling in traffic
    • The HSI CHG zone seems different than the one I drove in L.A. The L.A. one would stay full til we came to a stop. This one would start to reduce as the speed decreases, giving a better indication of regen vs. friction
    • Engine start/stop is barely perceptible and very smooth
    • Boy, is that inverter loud!!!
    • ECO mode keeps the climate control in recirc forever
    • Pressing AUTO does not bring back the A/C (if the light was off) like the old Prius did.
    • The A/C is bloody cold! It's 30°C/86°F outside and the climate control is set at 25°C/75°F. Highest I've set in the old Prius was 23°C/73°F and it was much cooler outside
    • The A/C also seems more efficient. I sat idle with the A/C on and the battery was slower to drain. Didn't time it though but I know I can't last 8 mins with the A/C off in the old Prius before the engine came on to recharge it

That's all I can think of for now. Time for bed.

9 people like this.
  5. lchamp

lchamp Veteran Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Re: First Week's Impression

Thanks, good review. Now I know what to expect when I test-drive a gen III this week. Unfortunately, all my local dealers have basic models for test.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not at all. Guess I should clarify a few things back in the most in case people aren't aware that I have a blue car or that it's a Canadian model.

7. notthequiettype

notthequiettype New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops! That's what I get for having two tabs open with near identical headers. Moved!

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very nice review... so u changing your user name to "Blue Ribbon Prius?"

have to agree with the wiper sprays. on first oil change my requested adjustments

1)adjust spray. mine dont even come close to touching the top half of the glass

2) adjust stop on driver window. it hits so hard, i can feel the door panel bulge. its the only one of the 4 that does it.

3) REQUEST MY FREE NAV DVD UPGRADE!!

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. We still have the Tideland Pearl.

1. Like I said, mine just hits the wiper so it'll get the glass if the wiper's out of the way

2. My door panel bulges too but it doesn't stop as hard as you make it seem. Probably just as hard as any other Toyota (but with a bulge)

3. lol...

10. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Re: First Week's Impression

All Weather Mats
    • I assume that you have the all weather mats shown on the Toyota Canada website. (Different from the US mats)
    • I would appreciate a photo of that Canadian Tire solution to protect the rear hump
    • Are VOC emissions a problem with your mats? Mine smelled so bad that I've taken them out of the car to air for a while before trying again. The main offenders seem to be the front mats which seem a bit more pliable.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... Until you mentioned it, I didn't realise I did the same thing! :embarassed:

[​IMG]

I didn't notice any strong rubber smell from my mats. These are the 3rd set of mats that we've bought from Toyota (2002 Camry, 2005 Prius, 2010 Prius)

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think my window needs adjusting. the two in the back noticeably slow down about 2-3 inches before closing. the passenger door in the front, slows down just before the top, less than an inch or so. but mine, not even a hint of slowing down and if you have your arm on th rest, you can feel the door panel bulge out.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know the rears slow down. It's called Variable Speed Power Windows (it first debuted in NA in the Lexus LS460). I haven't noticed any of the front windows slow down either on my car, the test drive cars or the L.A. cars.

14. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And if something needs adjusting, do it while stopped at the next red light. Nobody can drive defensively if they are not looking out the window.

15. pri-serious

pri-serious New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just got my prius iv blizzzzzard pearl tonight, I'm in a prius fever and I hope it last!

My previous car was a BMW X3 04 (it had so much problems I was convinced I got a lemon, the worst being stopped/ lost power steering in the middle of 15 freeway near Las Vegas. I turned off car and turned on fine and drove. Happened twice within 30 min and then never happened again. Dealers couldn't give me an answer why it happened)

Prius is actually very fun to drive. (My boyfriend says the actual driving feels like a spongy toyota) But the eco mode it what makes it fun and see the bars of mpg going up and down makes you very conscious about breaking and speeding up when its unnecessary. The regenerative break sounds like transformer..(am I just being too cute?)

interior of a iv is pretty nice, the leather was not bad, some how Toyota managed to make the plastics components feels nicer than they should be. (x3 had plenty of plastics too and BMW put a bad soft film over them that wears out over time that eventually looked like a rat chew it up.)

The temp screen doesn't look hazy like the crazy bad one's in the other post

I took off all the head rests on the back seat to get more visibility. It does take some time to get used to looking at the small rear view.

that's about it so far, I look forward to tomorrows!

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Does he feel that way when its in normal mode or even "power" mode?

17. pri-serious

pri-serious New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    He was comparing to his eternal love - Miata, that he's never driven LOL
    but also switching to Toyota after driving BMW for 3 yrs.

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tell him the Miatia is a chick car. :D

19. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Lifting the headrests and tilting them forward achieves much of the benefit of removing them, particularly if you set the mirror high (position, not angle)

20. pri-serious

pri-serious New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's also another way to go, but I like how it looks more without the head rests :)