1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Driving Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Re: 2010 Prius Driving Impressions Thread

And does anyone have quick access to what the 3 tire choices are that may arrive with the 17" rims? Really interesting in which has the lowest rolling resistance of the 3 for the 17's... Were they Michelins, Goodyears and BF Goodrich's? If so what models? Thanks in advance.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 was one of them. Yokohama Avids were another. I don't remember the specific model number for the Avids.

The 17s had Michelin Pilot HX MVM4 (found on the Acura TSX) or Bridgestone Turanza EL400 (found on the 09 Corolla w/ 16" alloys). In fact those going with the 17" alloys can probably sub in a Corolla wheel for winter tyres (either the 205/55R16 or the base CE model's 195/65R15 which is the same as the Prius)

3. William B. Kayen

William B. Kayen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Were those tires on preproduction models or on regular production models?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I'm going to go and look up the Bridgestones right now then... I had Michelin MXM4's on my old 03' Acura TL Type S and I must say I really did not like them. They rode ok, nothing special, but wow they wore the tread down F A S T. I replaced them with Falkens, for half the price mind you, and they rode twice as good, were not as loud and didn't wear down as fast. And heck, even if they had they were half the freaking price! lol I wish Falken tires would get picked up more often, especially since I 'think' they are made in Japan...

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yep. My friend's TSX tyres wore down fast. I told him to get WRs.

Both. There are 3 tyre brands/models that Toyota can choose from. I'm going to move the discussion to the other thread as this thread is only for reviews.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Observation: it is awkward to try and separate the discussion of a driving review from the posting thread of the reviewer. One can subscribe to a thread and read all of the comments and that would be normal for someone posting a review. But what happens if the reply is posted in another thread? What clues the reviewer that there was a comment? But this is not something to stay awake at night muttering about. <GRINS>

Trying to follow the guidelines:

This actually makes a lot of sense. The ultimate mileage limit is drag both aerodynamic and rolling. In this case, the final three miles climbing is when the cooled exhaust gas of the 2010 would come into play and improve engine efficiency. A good review but I think we really won't know the 2010 systems until we get time to instrument and run more extensive system tests.

If anyone gets a chance to ask the Chief Engineer another question:

1. When EGR is in operation, do the O2 sensors still trim the mixture or is some sort of 'open loop' control law followed?
    2. In the earlier NHW20s, is mixture enrichment totally 'open loop' and if so, what triggers it (or the range?)
    If mixture enrichment occurs because the O2 sensors have detected excessive heat, then bleeding in cooled exhaust gas at higher power settings might delay this triggering event and allow the current and earlier Prius to improve their high-power, fuel efficiency. But if it is 'open loop', it would be similar to a pilot pushing in the mixture when going to full-throttle. At this point, other control laws are in effect and adding exhaust gas to the intake would simple result in in a richer mixture.

This also suggests a 'rich mixture' alert or alarm would be very useful for those doing cross country travel, especially in hilly areas. Knowing the engine has just gone into enriched mode would allow backing off just enough accelerator to get back into more efficient power bands. So instead of using a rule of thumb like, "55 mph to climb a hill" a driver could just "back-off from the red light."

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

7. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: 2010 Prius Preview: A Hypermiler's perspective.

Great write-up. Question - Do you know whether the Gen 3 can glide at higher speeds than the Gen 2?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Preproduction; I asked about this at PCD and was told that tires used on production models may vary.

9. William B. Kayen

William B. Kayen New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thanks for the info.

10. nameless dude

nameless dude New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I'm just interested to see how this Prius compares to a Corolla in terms of performance and driveability. Thanks.

11. Narodnik

Narodnik New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

What I am anxiously waiting for is word on the traction control in the 2010 Prius. I'm tired of negotiating our steep, gravel-over-dirt, 1/8-mile driveway BACKWARDS with my 2007 Prius. If the 2010 model will be able to make it straight up the driveway, I'll be first in line to buy one.

12. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My driving impressions posted on the other thread raised the issue of visibility. Did anyone else feel like they were seated too low to see well out the windows? Is there a height adjustment to the driver's seat?

Lee

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep - IMG_0343.jpg

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Height adjustment works very well, and, despite my average-ish torso height, I appreciated the higher seating position.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't have many issues with visibility. Again, I'll have to relearn the corners of the car so I don't hit the curb but other than that, it's not too different from the Gen 2

16. moonkat

moonkat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    KK6PD,

"I got's to know" ....

"There's just one question you gotta ask yourself, Punk!
    Are you feeling lucky?"

"Click"

Dirty Harry

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Unfortunately, at the SF event, the route we were told to follow involved no gravel roads, let alone inclined gravel roads. The only other non-media event that invitees could drive the 2010 Prius was the LA event.

18. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I read through all the driving reviews. Thank each of you for taking the time to post your impressions. It was great to have a range of users from hypermilers to techies too.

I've been lamenting the change of the MFD to the new gas discharge. I really like the color graphic display. Now that I've read the comments it appears it may be worse than I thought. Several complained about the red indicators too hard to see in bright conditions. Others complained that some things are too small to glance at and may actually cause a safety issue. I'll hold off on the final judgment until I see if for myself though. I'll be visiting Toyota as soon as the 2010s come in if just to have a look.

The other thing I wasn't crazy about is the console and how it might feel confining. I have a bit of clostrophobia and I'm worried about the loss of the gap between the arm rest and the dash board. At least one reviewer did comment on it. That will be another thing to check out on the real thing.

Interesting reading this thread and seeing comments about now noisy the Prius is. I guess it's all subjective. I'm 62 years old, have owned perhaps 30 cars in my lifetime, many of them purchased new. To me the Prius is the quietest car I've ever owned. It is one of the factors that I really like about the car. Maybe my hearing is going bad. If so that might be a good thing!

What excites me about the 2010 Prius is the improved mileage, EV switch, the new beltless improvements, and the telescoping steering wheel. I like the looks of the car except for the front. The new line on the sides of the car appeal to me. The larger bump in the hood starting with the enlarged Toyots symbol make the car look narrower detracting from the looks in my opinion.

All in all I'll stick with the 2008 as I don't see enough to draw me to the 2010, and there are a few things that may push me away. It seems Toyota aimed at a broader audience rather than trying to please current Prius owners. The new large gear shift is totally unnecessary for example and seems placed there to look more like other cars.

19. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had recently read, and confirmed with the reviews here, that forced EV kicks out at 25 MPH. VERY VERY SAD!!!!! Makes it pretty much useless other than guaranteeing EV in a long line at a stop sign. Why did they not leave it at AT LEAST the current 32/34????? I have a number of places on my normal commute where EV at 30 MPH is REASONABLE based on the terrain (fairly flat with slight rises and drops) that my car will kick out of auto EV simply because of a slight and short duration increase in 'demand'. I'm sure they are concerned people will think they have an electric car and run the battery down using EV but some of us are a bit more intelligent than that and would use it at higher speeds only where it makes sense, such as knowing you are coming to a 'regen hill' or something.

And other comments, as well as the videos, confirmed many of my 'pre-release info' concerns.

• smaller non color displays at the windshield line are harder to see than the current larger, color displays on the MFD.
    • Shifter on the arched console IS in the way of climate controls and the EV, Normal, PWR and emergency buttons. Not that you can't get around or over it, but it need not be in the way. And I have to believe more than a few people will be confused that forward on the shifter is reverse and backward is forward. The 'Up is reverse, Down is forward' was confusing enough.
    • That arch is one big knee encroaching waste of space. Its only real purpose is to hold up the shifter in an inconvenient place.
    • Non tactile controls are not as easy to 'find' without taking your eyes off the road. The Touch Tracer means you HAVE to take your eyes off the road to know which non tactile button your finger is on.
    • Desirable (to some) features come only with undesirable features (to some). Lumbar support and 3 door SKS, illuminated entry (HOW MUCH CAN THIS COST!!!!!) only with leather. Don't like leather, don't want leather, don't want to pay for leather. Rear view camera only if you pay for NAV. LED headlights with washers only on the high end package. At least you can get the NAV without the moon/solar roof. And where are the DRLs???
    • NAV still unusable when the car is in motion
    Why is the STAR Safety System called that? It is ABS, TC, VSC but by its name, one would guess it is the Toyota equivilent of GM's OnStar (Toyota's 'equivilent' is Safety Connect System).

20. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just watched a review on Auto Week TV today. They were disappointed in that the rear seat legroom has DECREASED 2.5" from the outgoing model. This is one of my biggest disappointments and one of the things I like about my Prius. Just today I had a coworker with a the Lexus SUV Hybrid in my car and he couldn't believe the legroom it had with the rear seats back. That's the first thing anyone says. The rear legroom is actually better then the Lincoln Navigator I had before it. To hear the legroom has been decreased by 2.5" is very very very disappointing to me. Anyone notice this during their drive?