1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Driving Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think with the extra travel of the seat backwards you'd be alright. I think if I'd have bumped up the seat a bit I'd have felt more like I was in the Gen II. The seat was definitely longer and provided better thigh support ... maybe that's what led me to feel like I was sitting IN a seat rather than ON a seat as well.

2. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you see the exterior chrome trim accessories available for the Prius? If I were to get black, I would be buying these for sure! I think it breaks up the monochromatic look ... especially the front grill chrome trim piece.

Carson Toyota TRD Parts, Replacement parts and accessories for Southern California

3. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also wanted to note that the bridge b/t the seats seemed higher than I expected it would ... adding to the cockpit feel. I liked that about it overall.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I paid careful attention to where my knees were if I relaxed and let them spread out. My right knee had plenty of clearance from the center console. I actually had more of an issue with my left knee touching the unpadded door handle.

There's plenty of height adjustment to match anyone's preferences.

I agree with those saying they wish the telescoping wheel came out further.

5. ddepasse

ddepasse New Member

Model:
    II
    as a sort of related question...how long can i store(no driving at all) my 2010 prius without permanent damage to the drive battery? what precautions can i use to mitigate any long term harm to the drive battery?

6. jeremiah256

jeremiah256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dude, stop it! I just barely talked my wife into the Solar package and now this! :D

You're right, it would look fantastic. But with black you'd also have no choice but to get the protective film accessory.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, it didnt bother me as much but my SO said that using the MFD was a stretch for her and the new controls are much easier. she no longer has to lean way forward to change the vent options, etc.

8. lencap

lencap Junior Member

Just took a test drive and here are my thoughts versus my 2007 Touring Edition Option Pack II version.

Noise: Far lower in the new car in all areas, including rough roads. Some have commented that the noise on rough roads is very high, I didn't find that to be the case, especially compared to the current version.

Comfort: Better, but not "off the charts" better. The test car had leather seats, with what appeared to be a different bolster setup versus my '07 which was cloth. The seat itself, at least to me, is a bit less comfortable than my '07 - the newer seat has a rise at the back of the seat that catches me uncomfortably (I'm 5'7", it may be less objectionable for a taller driver. My wife noticed it too.) The lower sound levels make the car appear more comfortable than my current one, but it's close in terms of actual seat comfort. Rear seat is FAR better - more head/leg room, more comfort. Not even close versus the current model.

View: The rear view from the '07 always had the spoiler/split visible, a bit annoying. The newer car doesn't have that issue, but the rear visibility is somewhat less in the new car. The window is lower to the ground on the rear, which works for some types of driving, but could be less useful at night with bright lights behind you. I drove during the day, so I can't comment about the night view.

Style: The new "floating dash" is odd. There is no real reason for it since the Prius shift is electronic. It also blocks the lower storage section, making it less useful for some things (bulky stuff is tighter to fit). The dash itself is "refined" with less of a video game feel of the current car, but the information display is less captivating. It is also mostly monochromatic versus the multi colored display in version II. Overall, the style is more "upscale", but you may or may not like it. I would have preferred more useful cup holders (the new design leaves a lot to be desired - still looks like an afterthought instead of a planned offering) and better storage options. The AUX in is at the rear base of the center console -- very inconvenient to use, especially if you want to access the controls of the iPod. Why not move it to the top of the new floating island?

Power: The new car feels more responsive and powerful at all levels. The noise of full power acceleration is far less in the new car, giving you the feeling of greater acceleration since the car has less interior noise. It works, but I don't really know if the extra power is as significant as it feels, or if the lower background noise makes acceleration feel stronger.

All in all, a nice update and improvement, but my dealer is offering $4,000 discounts on the 2009 version. Seems hard to justify the extra cost of the new car for mostly cosmetic improvements and a modest power upgrade. The mileage difference is nice, but not enough to justify the price difference. If you want a high mileage proven vehicle, the discounted 2009s are hard to beat. If you value QUIET over all else - get the 2010.

9. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree the dash is unusual but it will grow on you. At first, it removed the roomy-kinda-like-an-Avalon feel. I also agree, in regards to the rear view -- it's a tad more squashed vertically. That was the first thing I noticed when I checked the rear view.

It's way quieter. It's much zippier. Loads more back seat room. Far comfier seats for the driver - I am tall (5'7.5")

I like the cup holder for the rear passengers being in the armrest. My 2007's rear drop-down cupholder console pulls out, falls off, has been broken for a long time. A little too much weight with a large drink and bam, she pulls away from the base and ugh, there goes the soda. My son spilled more soda back in the console than I care to admit.

The aerodynamics, the road stance, the better rubber - they all lead to WAY better handling... ask anyone who rode with me Memorial day - haha - "go ahead take that curve at 30..." it corners great and rides wonderfully.

Now... if I could just get my old car's HOV stickers on a new 2010 w/o getting caught...... LOL!

Dianne

10. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sat in one YET AGAIN today (obsessing bad) ... noticed some more things ... the driver's seats goes back WAY further than prior. In my 2008 I have it all the way back (I'm 5'11" ... 32-34" inseam), but all the way back in the 2010 and I feel like I can barely touch the tip of my toe to the brake.

The doors sound much more solid when opening/closing. Tailgate feels lighter.

Anxious to get one!!!

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The tailgate does feel lighter, yes. That's all I remember. I don't remember the door sounds.

12. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    LOL, Seriously? That's obviously a gender relative observation :D

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It appears to telescope about 2 - 3". It would help to telescope a little more, but not a deal breaker though.

I think people with long legs usually have long arms to reach the wheel.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm. The 2010 seat bottom is totally different than the Gen2. It is longer and flares up at the front. It offers 2.5 to 3" more legroom, and I believe the brake pedal is set closer to the level off floorboard as the gas pedal, for better feel. The 2010 seat cradles my bod more and feels more elegant.

Hmmm, I sat a while behind driver's seat and I'm quite sure the 2010 has a tiny, weenie bit less rear seat headroom than the gen2.
    I could not lean my head back onto the rear headrest, same as my 09. I'm talking about 1/4", almost no difference.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Driver seat goes back about 2.5" further. Height adjust great too.

Yes, tailgate must be lighter ... I closed it like I do my 2009 and it shut a little hard in the showroom. :eek:

16. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know that I'd say LESS headroom in the rear than before, but it didn't really feel like there was any MORE headroom in the back seat than prior to me ... of course this goes against what has been reported by Toyota, however that could have something to do with how they measure such things. And I could easily be perceiving things wrong as well. To me though, there wasn't any highly noticeable difference in rear seat headroom.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I noticed an increase in rear headroom. Currently, I'd hit my head on the roof and can only rest my head on the rear headrests if I slouch a bit. In the new one, I'm just brushing the roof.

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Comparing the 2010 15" wheel version (Prius IV) w/ the 2004 and 2002, it seems that the steering ratio is "higher" (requiring more turns). I can live w/ it, but it does detract from the overall feel.

19. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I definitely notcied an increase in rear headroom as well. Not by many inches but I would say between an inch to two inches.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmm. It's also interesting that we get larger rear headrests and the Japanese get the same "L-shaped" headrests as the current design.

that's not good... more turns than the 04?