1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Driving Impressions DISCUSSION Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 25, 2009.

1. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Isn't braking where we get the "free" energy? Other than it might be annoying to followers, in my TCH long downhills were good for charging the battery. If you're going the speed limit then it's only reasonable and expected that you brake so followers need to back off and get over it. Since you're not usng the hydraulic brakes or brake pads you're not wearing anything out so I see no downside in generating battery charge by braking.

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is true, to a point. On long downhills you may run into the problem of "overcharging" the battery. The computer (the one assigned this task, that is) prevents the battery from receiving a charge past around 80% of its capacity. At that point the ICE will will start turning, just to bleed energy, and, if the brakes are applied, the physical brakes will be employed so as not to generate more electricity. If this happens, then use of the B mode is appropriate.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Downhill - B-mode is always an option unless you're talking mere seconds. Light "braking" is simply regeneration anyway. Note - 2010 B-mode only puts regen/charge meter 1/2 way - pedal will give more regen. If you can modulate your brake pedal for max regen, you may be better off (until the battery is full). Or... if your speed isn't too excessive for the conditions, let momentum carry you up the next hill.

Light brake pedal pressure allows regen only w/o friction brakes. Observing the regen meter helps determine how much pressure is appropriate as it varies by speed.

4. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, we've had our '10 II Blizz now for a week and have about 170 miles on it. Man, is that a cool ride! Never driven/ridden anything like it and I've owned many cars in my 61 years; we keep looking at each other and cracking up, it's so fun!

I have a couple little details I wonder about. I notice when we come to a full complete stop on level ground, that if I lift my foot off the brake pedal it always creeps forward; does everyone's do that? I'm regretful that it has to live it's whole life outside and I'm hoping that we can find a nicely fitted cover to maybe keep it cleaner a little longer, will the PriusChat store ever come up with such an item? I bought the windshield sunshield and it fits perfect; great item. We'd also like to keep the upholstery nice and clean so we may go for some of those Wet Okole seat covers unless someone has some that they think are better. I also wonder about some of the 'customizable features' listed in the back of the owner's manual. As I have a little difficulty in seeing the orange arrows in the energy display, I was thinking maybe that it would help to adjust the Sensor sensitivity. I see that the default setting is 0 and has a range of -2 to +2. Has anyone had the dealer adjust that function? And if so, is there a noticeable difference in the way it operates?

The dealer where we got ours, Lompoc Toyota, said to come in at 1K miles and they would go over the whole car to check that all's well. They also confirmed that oil changes would be ~$35, which I'll believe when we pick it up after the first 5K service. Our local dealer is really San Luis Obispo Toy but I just got what felt like a 'run around' so bad there that I went elsewhere. You know, "drive a little, save a lot"....

We'll be doing some serious hwy driving next week up to the SF bay area and back so it'll have 500 - 700 more miles on it so we'll see how that goes. We're looking forward to the ride!

radio

5. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    .....Insight challenges at stoplights :D lol ~ I like it!

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That regen meter sounds handy.

I tried 'B' mode first time yesterday - it was pretty cool! Slows car down and more you press the gas, faster you go.

Light braking is good since brakes will last longer too. :D

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. You're in 'D' (drive), so if foot off brake, it will creep forward like a conventional car.

Can also creep in stop and go traffic - uphill, downhill, etc... without burning any gas, no vibration, no noise.

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Toyota's done this since Gen I to emulate the characteristics of a conventional automatic transmission car.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    is it my imagination or does the 2010 idle in reverse faster than the classics? or am i just paranoid since when i back up its the front end of the SPM i see

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I felt it idled slower, or are you referring to creep speed, which is ~6mph?

11. RickFlashman

RickFlashman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My other car is a Smart ForTwo and eventough it is a manual (computer controlled clutch), it does this too, emulating a conventional automatic.

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here I go, again, not reading the manual.

As far as I knew, the Iconic (Gen2) and the 2010 (Gen3) do not engage the ICE for reverse, but instead draw only on the HV. Wouldn't that mean that at an idle while in reverse (if needed) the ICE would be pressed a bit more to produce juice (depending, of course, on the SOC)?

13. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The ICE can run in reverse (i.e. if backing up a steep hill) but it is specifically for power generation and does not directly power the wheels.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get the transmission software update? (SEQ sth sth on the repair sheet). It'll lessen the strength of the creep. I find it annoying TBH. The old smart acted like a proper manual (you had to rev up to ~1,200rpm before the clutch would engage).

15. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That would be really weird! I expect my automatic to creep, but on flat ground, my standard is supposed to stay put unless I step on the gas!

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, I've had my car now for 10 days and driving to and from work and running errands around where I live I have already been getting better MPG's than my Gen II!

I used to get 44.5 on average in my Gen II Prius and already I am getting 46MPG after 10 days of ownership. This weekend I am taking a trip that will probably be 800+ miles round trip so it'll be interesting to see my observed MPG after the trip is over with as well as get a LOT of hands on with the Lane Keep Assist and Radar Cruise Control.

I'll report back next week with updated figures but imo the Gen III, at least in Prius V model, is more fun to drive and even with the larger tires and rims still nets better fuel economy. Simply amazing :)

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    post deleted. complained about rearview mirror, but its placement better than Gen2.

18. StevieB

StevieB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Today my wife and I took delivery of our 2010 Series 5 (Black/Dark Gray/AT Pkg).

I got the honor of driving home and I must say that I was underwhelmed by the experience. True the drive was only six miles of stop/start driving and the car only had two miles on the odometer. . . but to say that the acceleration was sluggish is a major understatement. I'm hoping some of that is the absolute newness of the car, but I fear it isn't.

Newbie Question . . . Does starting off on Power Mode increase the acceleration from a standing start . . . or is Power Mode only to be used "while already driving" to get up and down hills/elevations easier?

19. 2010PkgIII

2010PkgIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The best thing I can tell you is to try it. It makes a big difference IMO, but you may be underwhelmed again. I let my brother-in-law drive my 2010 III in Tucson, AZ and until I suggested he shift to power mode, he too was underwhelmed, to say the least. When he shifted to power mode he lit up and said, "That's more like it." Of course, his two cars are a Mercedes E320 and an older Lexus.

1 person likes this.
  20. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You may use Power mode anytime you wish.
    In fact...all the time. But with a *your mileage will suffer.

My previous car was a semi-powerful V6 SUV. This Prius could take it on easily for the first couple hundred feet for sure. Enough in Power mode for really good and confident entrance ramp acceleration, passing, or simply getting it on quickly when the light turns green. I was very pleasantly surprised by the acceleration in Power mode - I'd think you will be too. I'm still getting used to the continual acceleration with no shift points - it's cool. Had my car 3 weeks, 900 miles, and used Power probably 30 times. Never disappointed.

Report back - would like your impression after trying Power.

1 person likes this.