1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Ebay Navigation upgrade nightmare

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TofuLola, Apr 29, 2021.

1. TofuLola

TofuLola Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a Prius 5 - 2010. It has over 219,000 miles. I love it.

We recently moved to an area with a lot of new developments/roads and my original navigation was basically worthless. With hesitancy, I decided I'd try ordering an upgrade disc from ebay. I figured the worst that could happen is that it would wipe out my maps.

It arrived and I fed it into the dvd slot. It has completely shut down my head unit, and I can not remove the disc. It is locked open and the screen reads: No DVD Please insert Map DVD

When I turn off the car it beeps 4 times. None of the buttons work.
    I have tried:
    Removing the fuses.
    Disconnecting the 12 V battery.

Nothing related to the audio/maps/backup works. The sound you probably heard last night around 6pm was my husband ranting over what I did. Please.... help a girl out! What would you do?!?

Prius 1.jpg Prius 2.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take it to a dealer?

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Navigation Owner’s Manual (PDF) suggests, “Keep pushing the ‘⏏·CLOSE’ button for approximately 5 seconds and release it” as a way to eject discs that are otherwise stuck.
    There is a procedure for “Changing the map DVD-ROM” on page 317 of the Manual. Did you follow steps 1–3 before inserting the DVD? If not, perhaps that’s what caused the indigestion.
    The last map update compatible with the navigation system in model year 2010 Prius cars was released in 2018 (Toyota part number 86271-GEN06-18), and the field observations from which it was created are even older.
    I’m not sure a dealer would do anything but sell a new or refurbished head unit, at eye-watering cost, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask—perhaps they know some tricks we don’t.

If the press-and-hold technique doesn’t get the disc out, you might look for a replacement head unit at a junkyard, or see if a firm such as United Radio could repair yours, on a mail-in basis, for a fee.

4. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    roll into a car stereo place and ask them to pull the disk

when they do, buy them lunch or something nice

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After you pay $150 an hour in labor? They owe you the lunch instead :ROFLMAO:

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I once took a transfer case to the local tranny shop for them to get some of the stubborn fasteners cracked loose and the parts disassembled and washed. I took it home in a box and completed the rebuild myself.

Payment was in donuts for their whole office from the local bakery. Seemed to go over pretty well.