1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fopoku2k2, Feb 20, 2017.

1. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my engine started misfiring a few months ago and finally gave up last month. I have decided to replace it so i ordered a new one. should be in this week. anyone here know where i can get enough information on replacing my engine?

Thank you in advance

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota tech info has a subscription service, from what i hear.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a rumor that the url is techinfo.toyota.com. :)

-Chap

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The best advice will be to get buddy that have skills and have done some major work on car's...they are not so hard to do if you have space and time....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok so mechanic finally finished the swap. unfortunately the engine won't start and he is getting a hybrid error. he claims a scan shows there are 4 dead cells on the traction battery. I am finding it very hard to believe since I remember starting it with no errors before towing it to his shop.

could he have messed up the hybrid connections to the new engine??

6. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How long did the battery sit without use? Sometimes if the battery sits for a while in the heart without use, the bad cells will end up showing their faces :(

m.wynn likes this.
  7. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unfortunately, at your mileage, it wouldn't be a big surprise for a several week sit to finish off the battery. It's been since January now?... From your service record snapshot in your very first post here, there is no sign of the E0E recall being performed on the car through 185k miles or so. That's a lot of mileage at original current spec, hammering both the battery AND the inverter. If the codes are verified traction battery specific, I'm guessing they're legit. Can you have him show you the scan and report exact codes here?

However, there's always the chance one of the usual "Prius specific" suspects are behind the issue. Is the battery interlock installed correctly? Main relay ok? 12 volt?

In a completely unrelated note, Glens Falls Toyota is my local dealer. They're about 2 miles from my house and I'm a regular at the parts counter. Parts and service are great in my experience. Small world..

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the battery sat since november last year, so roughly four (4) months. do I need new batteries??

9. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I would get the scan and codes when I visit the shop tomorrow morning.

the 12 volt battery is okay since he claims the lights and dash are all lit. I will ask him to check the others i.e battery interlock and main relay

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

11. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    248,585 miles

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could easily be a bad battery if it is original.

Montgomery likes this.
  13. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what would you advice I do??

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't know what your options are there. once you've determined a bad hybrid battery, you have to decide whether to install a new one, a rebuilt or salvage, or cut bait.

15. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WOW!!! but the battery was working okay since i purchase it in 2015 till i blew the engine back in november '16 and parked it.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why you need to make sure it is the problem. but if it is, as mentioned above, it is from sitting. you may want to ask @jeff652 if any of his grid charging products might work for you.

fopoku2k2 likes this.
  17. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's very common for aged batteries to self-discharge during periods of non-use. Our chargers will bring the battery back to full so that car can be started and driven. We have shops that buy our products for this purpose all the time. Here is the charger that I would recommend for your car:
    Prolong™ Discharge Ready Battery Charger - Hybrid Automotive

ALS, Samprocat, Montgomery and 2 others like this.
  18. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The scan codes are
    U0110
    P0A0D
    P0A09

Am I screwed?

19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check the HV pack and ensure the orange safety plug is engaged and slid to the right.

m.wynn likes this.
  20. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on checking the HV battery safety interlock. Strong chance the last step (sliding the handle to the right) was not performed. Super common re-assembly error. This will likely be an easy fix for P0A0D.

Next, make sure the 12 volt is actually holding 12 or more volts at rest and is connected properly and securely. Be sure the ground is fastened securely to a clean connection on the rear body. The DC/DC converter sense lead becomes a prime suspect for U0110 and P0A09, and it's right there when inspecting the 12 volt. The lead of course needs to be connected and the 5-amp fuse checked for continuity. Credit to Hobbit's amazing exploratory tear downs here:

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-12V/

My opinion is that if U0110 and P0A09 are directly related, this is very likely the correct direction to look. **The joker in the deck here is that a reverse polarity jump start hasn't been attempted at some point.** If so, you need to inspect the main relay and all related fuses before you suspect a fried DC/DC converter sense circuit within the inverter. If the P0A09 is actually flagging an inverter failure, it's time to source a salvage.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LusciousGarage/photos/?tab=album&album_id=544512265668546

My feeling is, *bad jump start attempt ruled out*, the codes here point at a poor or completely missed re-connection of a major electrical circuit(s) or a ground(s) at re-assembly. But yeah, these codes have potential to be a bit dicey. Curiously, they in no way point at "4 dead cells in the traction battery"... Any idea what happened to that scan?

And though I'm not convinced you're screwed, it's possible you may need someone with Toyota HSD experience, or at least strong electrical savvy to help troubleshoot here.

#20 m.wynn, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Montgomery and Raytheeagle like this.