1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - Exempt from Emissions Testing in MD

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Den49, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to find out that my 2010 Prius is exempt from emissions testing in Maryland. The EPA requires emissions testing in Maryland every two years. It costs $14.00 and requires, for me, a twenty-five mile drive to the emissions test facility where I wait in line so they can plug a tester into the OBD port to verify that all the emissions devices are functioning. The exemption lasts for as long as I own the car.

Information for Maryland Residents: I received a regular inspection notice which I took to the testing station. When I got to the front of the line an attendant came out and said I was exempt and to go inside the office for an exemption certificate, which I did and got. So, if you get an inspection notice, don’t wait in line, just go into the office and get your exemption certificate. I am not sure if there is any other way to get the exemption certificate other than going to the testing facility, such calling or on-line. Perhaps someone can try calling or on-line and report if it works.

I don’t know why the Prius is exempt. The Prius engine has the same emissions systems as other engines and I presume they are no more or less subject to failure. I am just happy to be relieved of this inconvenience.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In Maryland, any vehicle that gets an EPA city rating of at least 50 mpg is exempt. In California, it looks like any hybrid vehicle is exempt. CARB states (Maryland became one fairly recently, so this may apply to your vehicle) also get an extended warranty on emissions components (15 years/150k miles), in exchange for an AT-PZEV rating. So even if our states change the law, if our cars ever fail a smog test during the warranty period, the repair is covered.