1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Fog Light Install [Retrofit]

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by spiderman, Nov 11, 2009.

1. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're referring to the Lamin-X sheets, you can buy them from their site here.

2. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guys,

Can you help? I am looking to use a stock switch, 84140-47130 for my Blinglights fog light. When I look around, the switch MSRP like $130+ and $90+ to me. Do I have the right part number stated above, $90+ for a fog light switch... Do I have a Prius or Ferrari?

3. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not just a fog light switch. That's the part number for the entire headlight stalk switch that's on the steering console. You have to remove the steering wheel and a few other things to put it on. It's not just a switch that replaces one of the rectangular blanks in the dash. Toyota doesn't make one of those for the Gen 3 Prius.

Replacing the headlight stalk is a relatively easy job, but some have damaged the steering sensor in the process, which is a $600 part, if I remember correctly.

4. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    jayvee,

Thanks for the info. I'm happy that I don't need to pay $90 for a switch. But I am not happy that I will have no stock switch to use. Maybe I will ask the dealer to do that. Any idea how may hours of such job from dealer?

5. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm sure there's a pretty wide variation in what a dealer may charge. What you may be able to do is ask the dealer to go through all of their stock switches for other vehicles, to see if they fit the Prius blank slot. The 2006 Yaris switch may fit, but it may stick out just a hair, and not completely snap in. You may be better off going to an aftermarket accessory installer. They are more likely to have a "clean" solution and can make it look like "stock" - they may even already have a solution that fits the Gen 3. And they'll almost certainly cost less than the dealer. Some on this forum have been charged $600+ by a dealer for a fog light install (including lamps.)

6. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    jayvee,

Thanks for all the info!

7. SDM44

SDM44 Señor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a quick tip (although it's probably already known). Under the foglight area is the black plastic cover. On that cover is a small hole. If you stick a regular size 'bigger head' (not pointy) phillips screw driver through that hole, you can feel around and find the fog light adjustment screw. The reason to use a bigger head phillips screw driver is because it will stick to the screw and the handle can rest along the opening on the plastic cover, and it won't fall out. That way you can have a screw driver on each side and make your adjustments evenly & easily, instead of fishing for the screw each time on either side. Worked great tonight after I put in my 3000K HIDs.

Attached Files:

8. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I understand that Toyota does not have a simple plug in switch for the fog light. I'm hoping to get one and put it in the dash somewhere. Can someone suggest me what switch, Yaris?, works the best and where can I put it? Thanks in advance.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, the OEM-style kits on e-Bay come with a switch that fits in the blanks on the left hand side. Make sure you get the 4-door Yaris kit (06-08 MY).

10. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Spiderman, Unfortunately, I bought the Blinglight kit from PS shop and the switch does not look good and hope I can get some sort of OEM switch to replace it on the left hand side some where.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might try a quick search on e-bay for say "yaris foglight switch" and see what you get. Or perhaps see what the OEM yaris switch costs at the dealer and or take that part number to parts.com.

12. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to make sure I understand your reply, it sounds like OEM Yaris fog light switch will have the close enough fit to the bottom panel somewhere, right?

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IF the OEM yaris switch is like what comes in the OEM-style kits off of eBay, yes.
    To the left of the steering wheel, the is a place for 4 switches (your model will have some of those filled, mine did not). The switch I got fit into one of those slots.
    Hope that helps.

14. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Spiderman! Damm... I should get that kit from eBay instead.

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I almost made the same mistake too... Just about the time I was going to order the Bling lights, hawkmoon posted a DYI on the forum and I went with the Yaris kit.

16. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good for you and guess what I made that mistake :(

If anyone looking to get an after market fog light kit, Yaris might be the best bet today.

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Yaris kit certainly seems to be the cheapest out there. However ebay is also selling a kit specifically for the 2010 Prius. Also Prius Chat Shop was suppose to sell a kit here soon too but I have not see it yet.

18. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ya I think that kit is about $200+. Make no mistake I don;t mind to pay more to get a good one, the problem is the fog light location and I bet just a matter of time, probably a winter or two it will crack from some highway objects.

Btw, how do you aim your fog light to be straight?

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, both of mine are already cracked (but moisture has not entered yet). The photos are in a thread somewhere.
    I plan to get another Yaris kit (as the singles begin sold are more than the kit!) and cover the lenses with clear film to hopefully prevent that. We will see.
    There is an adjuster on the light housing. Please refer to the document attached to this post (first post) for instructions.

20. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If soon, please PM me and I like to buy the switch from you. Thanks!