1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Fog Light Install [Retrofit]

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by spiderman, Nov 11, 2009.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or you can buy the kit and I will buy the lights from you. ;)

2. jowilk

jowilk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i'm installing the yaris kit. printed out the pdf instructions everything went fine until i tried switch on the lights, no power. when i connect the red wire to a 12v source, i have power. i have several questions.
    first, how did you connect the wire to the ecu, with a connector or bare wire. if you used a connector do you know where i can get it.
    second, is there another location i could connect the red wire. i would like to have the foglights come on only when the park or low beams are on.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad things went thus far. As for the brown wire on the ECU, I just "T-tap" (bare wire) it. The brown wire is only hot when the parking/head lights are on. So when the headlights are off so are the fogs.
    You could run the relay wire (I think that was red) out to one of the parking light's wire and tap into that. Same effect.
    Hope that helps,
    Peter
    p.s. Welcome aboard!

4. jowilk

jowilk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thanks for the quick reply, tap the brown wire and problem solved. thanks again

5. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got the Blightlight kit from PC shop. After installed since the original cover is not aiming to the front, the Blinglight fog beam is aiming to the far left and right now.

I am thinking to get the OEM cover to correct the above problem. But from the picture both OEM and aftermarket Yaris fog lights are a bit slant and not perfect round shape fog. Anyone here installed the Blightlight fog with OEM cover here? Do you guys think it will work? Thank you.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think so. The blings are flat faced and the OEMs are angled just like you said.

7. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought so too. Thanks!

Anyone know what is the least expensive angled fog these days that I can use OEM cover?

8. Danman90

Danman90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    are there any videos out there on how to do this?

9. maltbyman

maltbyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, I'm a nube to the 2010 Prius. I have a 2004, it was the package with the smart key system and fog lights. I'm the proud owner of a 2010 Package IV and was absolutely slain that fog lights weren't an option. The tech manager at the dealership thought it was because of the weight. Okay, let's go with a real MAYBE on that one.

Anyhow, I'm in the greater Seattle area and I don't think I'm handy enough to do a fog lamps add-on.

You think Toyota will have a kit for this some time soon? Considering the time of the year, I can wait until October to get this done.

Thanks list! Lots of great info out here. I love the 2010 Prius, but this was a real miss for someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest!

10. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is pretty easy. Get a Yaris foglight kit from eBay, about $50 and both OEM fog light covers from parts.com, about $70, print out the installation pdf from the first post of this thread from spiderman then bring it to any car alarm/stereo guys and they should be able to install the fog light for you around $100 installed.

1 person likes this.
  11. maltbyman

maltbyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks hlkc! I see numerous other foglight possibilities, including the one sold in the "shop" section of this site.

12. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    maltbyman,

I tried that first and sorry to say that it was not the best idea. That is a universal fog light and you need to drill a hole and mount them on your own not to mention it is very hard to aim straight. The method I mentioned and the pdf posted is the same method and it is the best/perfect fit; just like the stock!

13. treet007

treet007 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks spiderman for compiling the document. I was wondering how to install the fog lights, but I was afraid to even touch my new Prius in fear of breaking something...

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same here... until I saw and read the original thread. I just compiled that into a document with a few instructions of my own. Big, big thanks to hawkmoon77 and others for going way ahead of us all.

15. llyons

llyons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm taking in my Prius to get homelink/dimming mirror installed. I'm going to ask if they can give me a quote on the foglights when I do. I'm not a do-it-yourself'er. But, I am curious. and don't like those gray blanks where the fog lights should be! I know...nothing that is "needed," but would be cool to have. :)

16. josheyman

josheyman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The most difficult item for me was to reconfigure the gray place holders for the fog lights, to accommodate the new fog lights. I used a pvc 3" x 2" coupler to do this transition.
    Since the Prius has all kinds of delicate computers, I used the power take off circuit which stands alone, and is 15 amps, and works off of the ignition switch.

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pictures please. Sounds like you didn't use the OEM fog light inserts...?

18. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I need help.
    The OEM Yarius Harness I received doesn't seem right.
    I doesn't match the picture in the FOG light retrofit instruction PDF.
    See attached for the picture.

I didn't take picture for the Fog light H11 harness.
    See how short the RED wire is... that needs to go to Engine compartment Fuse box. :(

I know BLACK is for GND.

What is this Green wire and Yellow/Blue wire?

I have no idea what do to.

I can probably somehow extend the RED wire and run it to the Engine fuse box and also I assume crimp it to the RED power wire from the H11 bulb.

No which goes to PIN 10 under the dash (side of ECU)?
    And what do I do with another wire?

Help~!

Attached Files:

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, it is different. Did the lamps not come with a wiring diagram (albeit very simple I am sure)? My set did.
    I would suspect that yellow/blue would be what you use for the signal (parking light 12v). Green would likely be ground again for the light in the switch. Yes, you will need to extent Red to the other harness up front.
    You should be able to just hook up the switch harness as described above and test. You will here the relay click when the switch is turned on and you should get 12v from the red wire.
    If you have a wiring diagram, post it.

20. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Spiderman~ thanks for the reply.
    NO unfortunately it DID not come with any manual nor wiring diagram.
    So Yellow/Blue -> I need to tap this into the Brown wire which I believe is pin 18 of 36 ECU

In the retrofit installation instruction.PDF (page 15, Digram 5) there was instruction about putting the RED wire into PIN 10 but I guess I do not need to do this right? I will just extend the red wire to the engine compartment and plug it into Fuse box 12volt power source and then also tie this to the RED wire of the Bulb cable.
    This is also where I need confirmation.
    So Run the Red wire and go to Engine Fuse 12 Volt source and then have RED wire from H11 bulb and crimp it onto this directly?