1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Fog Light Install [Retrofit]

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by spiderman, Nov 11, 2009.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct.
    Correct again. There was little cross of instruction from the text I used to create the document from. The other author was installing the OEM light stalk and was using more of the existing wires.
    Hmmm. The red wire from the pictured harness I am pretty sure should go to the lamp harness. I am thinking now the yellow / blue should be power from the fuse box. The green should tap the brown wire from the ECU.
    Again, it shouldn't be hard to hook up that switch harness and test it out before you put it in the car to make sure. The relay should click when you switch it on / off and you should get 12v from the red wire. Also it the switch is lighted, the lamp will go on if correctly hooked up.
    Remember I am just guessing here since I don't have a wiring diagram. So best not to hook it up to the car (the brown wire) until you are sure.

2. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Okay I will test it out.
    I think you are probably right that Yellow/Blue is the power wire.

That means I have to run TWO wires from the inside of the car to thru the Engine compartment. Did everyone else have to do that as well? And one of the red wire is pretty thick (low gauge) so not sure how difficult this will be~

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [delete] duplicate.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I ran two wires through; one from the fuse box (white in my case) and one to the lamp harness (red in my case). It was tight but used a little lube to get em through.
    I am just conveying my wiring solution. Others tapped into one of the parking light wires under the hood and didn't even use a switch. There were a few variations.
    To test this, I would simply hook up the black to the battery (-), the blue/yellow to (+) and a meter to the red. Tap the green to (+) and you should hear a click from the relay and get 12v from the meter.

5. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Spiderman -> Can you look at this thread
    DIY (08' USDM Liftback): ESUSE Fog Light Install v2.0 - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

They have modified OEM harness.. not sure if we need to do this as well.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure what you are asking but the way I described the wiring in the document, will work on any Prius 2010 model. The model V is the only one that comes with factory fogs and thus the complete wiring. Others here bought the factory light stalk and used existing harness as much as they could but were still never able to get the dash fog light indicator to come on. In other words, I do not believe there is enough wiring harness in your car to do what they did in that link/post you provided.
    I tried to keep the install as simple as possible.

7. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Spiderman,
    I tried the wiring today and it did NOT work. I believe wiring is correct but Green wire to ECU is probably wrong and I need clarification.
    I connected the follow
    1. Yellow/Blue to 12 volt Engine Fuse Box
    2. Red wire from Switch Harness to Red wire from Lamb Harness
    3. Green wire I connected to Brown wire on ECU (Pin #10)
    See attached pic of the T-tap connected

From your instruction since I'm using Yaris Harness so it should go into Slot #18, but I didn't know which one that was, please help.

Also I just tried to connect Red power wire directly to 12 Volt Source in Engine Fuse box but that didn't turn on the Fog lamp. I guess this is expected without the relay switch?

thanks

Attached Files:

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, good job tapping the brown wire!

Again I would pop the hood, attach the switch harness to the lamp harness. Attach the ground to the car body, attach the yellow/blue white to the tap inside the fuse box and then also brush the green wire to the same tap with the car powered up. All this should happen under the hood (don't worry about the brown wire inside the cab).
    If that does not turn on the lamps, exchange the yellow/blue with the red wire.
    If that doesn't work, check the fuse in the switch harness to make sure that hasn't blown.
    Did you say that you had a volt meter or not?

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As far as pin "18" (I think the instruction say "#8") don't worry about that. That was from the guy that was using the wiring from the OEM light stalk. I should better clarify that in the document.

10. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Spiderman,
    Car was NOT powered on, I only turned the headlight ON.
    So that could have been the issue.
    I'm going to go out in the dark now and try it.

Also Switch Harness came with 15AMP fuse but I think the harness is glued together, I'm assuming that it already has 15 amp fuse and the one outside is an extra.

11. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I tried to interchange yellow/Blue and Red wire, but still NO good.

Switch harness - relay is glued together. No way to access the fuse. Probably need to crack it open but don't want to do it.

I can borrow voltmeter 2morrow.
    What can I check to debug this.

12. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Spiderman,

How do I just simply test fog light and power it on?
    Shouldn't it just turn on if I connect it to 12 volt power from the Engine fuse box?

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right, your harness does not have a fuse like mine did. I suspect that this unit fits more precisely into the Yaris than did mine. E.g. it uses the Yaris fuses.

I was just thinking on checking 1. the voltage from the car (the fuse box) to make sure you had 12v there and 2. to check the voltage at the relay if any.
    Could you take a close up photo of the wiring @ the relay and the wires at the switch? I need to be able to tell the colors of them.

14. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, doesn't seem like it has fuse.

See attached for the picture.
    I added the Connectors on the wire.

Attached Files:

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, from the photos I stand by my last suggestion:
    Blue/Yellow - 12v in (from under hood fusebox connection).
    Red - 12v out (to the lamp harness).
    Black - ground.
    Green - 12v in (brown wire ECU).

When you get a meter,
    1. check that you have 12v coming from the brown wire when the parking lights are on.
    2. check that you have 12v coming from the tap inside the fuse box when the car is powered up.

3. with the switch harness hooked up, switch in the on position, check to see if you have 12v coming from the red wire.

Also check to see if the lamp harness ground wire is connected to the car frame.

Let me know...

16. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Spiderman,
    I managed to borrow a multimeter. (see attached)
    Its big and bulk and has more function that I know how to use.
    I should be able to test the scenarios you mentioned this evening around 6:30PM ETS.
    Stay tuned.

Attached Files:

17. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Spiderman you were 100% correct.
    12v coming from brown tap when parking light is on
    12v coming from fuse box (this is constant even when car is off)
    when switch harness was connected and ON, red wire had 12v.

My issue was two folds:
    1.The connector that I was plugging into T-tap ECU brown wire wasn't secure. I had to re-crimp it.
    2. The Ground wire on the switch harness, eventhough it was attached to car body wasn't good ground b/c of paint and location.

So now all the signals are good.
    I did not connect to lamb harness b/c everything was wet and I will wait until sun comes out before I try this. Once its verified, I will make wire it up. I'm not looking forward to pull wire from inside the car to the engine compartment. That will be a pain.
    Thanks again for your help. I will let you know if I run into issue.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Praise the Lord! Phew, I was beginning to wonder if you had a bad switch harness.
    Yeah, let me know how things go. I lost lots of skin running the wires. To reduce it to one, you could find a high power 12v source inside the dash area (for the yellow/blue wire). I didn't want to mess with that myself though... didn't want to take chance of messing an ECU.

19. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Spiderman,
    Everything working fine now. Even the fog light switch, lights up when it is ON.
    Installation went well.

What I found was that H11 HID kit's harness to the original harness, the polarity was reversed~ Whoever made it crimped the harness and switched red & black wire. So I had to use a knife to CUT the plastic piece in order fit the stock harness in the correct way.

I need to adjust the beam.. But not sure how. .
    I need to somehow turn the metal round thing..
    The screw doesn't do anything...I think I just need to turn the entire metal dial somehow.. Not sure which direction.

Attached Files:

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am sooo glad it is working now. I didn't realize that you were installing HIDs.
    There is instructions in the document on aiming the lights. Went well for me. I just placed a large piece of cardboard in front of the car about 5' I think and measured up from the ground. You should be able to fit a ling Philips head screwdriver from the underside of the car into the knob-looking adjuster and twist. It was tough to get started but once loose, it moved fine.