1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 PRIUS front seat comfort

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wvgasguy, May 15, 2009.

1. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is a little different question than I've seen discussed. As I look at the "Build your Prius" on the Toyota site I notice that the front seats appear to have fairly large side bolsters, especially on the upright portion of the seat. I know they are supposed to be considerably more comfortable than the Gen 2 but if anyone has sat in the new 2010 did you find the width between the side bolsters to be uncomfortable? I'm 6'1" and 250 pounds. I would not want to have it pushing in on my shoulder blades like some of the cars I've sat in does (370Z). I like the support of the bolsters as long as they are not too tight.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know they shaped the seat backs so they are fairly thin to maximize front and rear legroom (this is mentioned on Toyota.com)

I too am interested to see just how good the front seats are on the 2010 Prius.

If they are pretty good or anything near as good as front seats in a Camry, I think I will pass out. Nine years is a long time to wait for decent front seats.

3. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Funny you mention that. I've had the same problem, and I'm a lot lighter. Maybe my shoulders are a little wide or something. But I find those kinds of seats to be very uncomfortable. The first time that I encountered one of those was in a Ford minivan, I think.

Another pet peeve of mine are the headrests that push my head too far forward, so that it feels like my chin wants to almost touch my chest. Makes you ask, "what were they thinking?". I suppose if you had a hunchback it would make sense, but I can't see them being comfortable for most people.

I haven't sat in a 2010 seat yet, so I can't comment on how it feels for me.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can have these things fixed by your dealer's recommended upholsterer. Should not be a big deal to fix. Shave some foam and recover.

Now, lack of seat travel backward or lack of height adjustment is a huge deal that no entity connected with Toyota can or will do anything about.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^

driver's seat travel has been extended by an inch. The seats are more comfortable for sure even with initial first impressions. I'm slim built and the current seats I find are a perfect fit (so i really can't imagine those that are portly finding the current seats comfortable). The new ones, while not as wide as the Camry, should provide better support.

6. checo446

checo446 New Member

Model:
    III
    I sat in a 2010 a few weeks back, and thought it was pretty comfortable. I am fairly wide shouldered and big bodied; however, only about 5'10" so I am not sure on the height issue. not even taken the exact dimensions into account, the car felt noticeably wider and seemed to have a little bit more head room than the 2009 model.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks all. My main concern is the bolsters, which look large in the pictures. The seats in my FX45 hd bolsters that were not wide enough and after a short time in the seat it would be uncomfortable. If the bolsters fit right they are great. However since you really can't (or won't) fling the Prius around curves there are ways to improve the support without snugging you in with oversized bolsters. I found the TCH seats comfortable and more than adequate. Pure" sports shaped" seats seem to be overkill for a Prius.

He's hoping the designers built them for "portly" (as one poster called it) people rather than all you nature nuts that hike and eat granola and still wear the same size you did in high school:)

8. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sat in one during the PC expo in DC back in February. They felt similar to the Gen2's IMO, I didn't notice a significant difference. I'm 5'11" and 175. the bolsters are lower around the kidney area not too high IMO.

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have about 50lb on me, but I'm fairly broad-shouldered and I didn't have a problem with the side bolsters at any part of my torso when tried the seats. They are vastly improved, but they still aren't at risk of being called "sporty" like those in the Z that you had trouble with.

10. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks all, I'm now committed to this! When I had cancer 10 years ago I gained 40 pounds and have not been able to lose it. Maybe the 2010 Prius will be God's way of telling me to lose weight :)

11. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The seats sound like they are more comfortable, but as a trade off are they a little harder to slide in and out of? One of the things my 88 year old mother likes is the ease of getting in and out of my '04.