1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius gen3 showing Check Hybrid System error despite inverter replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 2010-PriusOwner, Mar 10, 2022.

1. 2010-PriusOwner

2010-PriusOwner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius Gen 3, with 49k miles. The car has been driven lightly in the last 5 years. About year ago, it started showing the "Check Hybrid System" error. and then stopped working (even gas engine won't work).

I took it to the dealer last week. They diagnosed a bad inverter and a bad 12v battery. Luckily, 2010 Prius models are still under the 15 year inverter warranty, so the dealer installed a new inverter under it, and changed the 12v battery.

I picked it up yesterday and it drove fine in the city as well as the interstate. But when I started it this afternoon, I got the "Check Hybrid System" error again. The gas engine was running and I could move the car. But the triangle of death with the above message showed. I detached the 12 v battery for 5 min and then restarted the car, and the error message went away. But I'm worried that the dealers must have missed something.

So, my question to you guys: What else other than a bad inverter could have caused this? Since they replaced the inverter, there must be something else malfunctioning as well. I'm worried to take the car to the road as I don't want to get into limp mode and be stranded. Can someone help please?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is more likely they replaced the ipm module inside the inverter.

either way, you will need to have the trouble codes read with tech stream. so i would suggest a call to the dealer, and before authorizing any repairs, ask for the codes and put them here for the experts to analyze.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a few different bits and pieces inside there: the IPM, the MG ECU, the converter, the current sensor ....

Depending on what codes you have and what was damaged, they replace one or more of those. They start by looking right at the outside of the aluminum case to see if the failure physically damaged it (on the inboard side, near where the big multiwire connector attaches). If that happened, you get a whole new shiny inverter assembly.

4. KamiKKazi

KamiKKazi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Make sure the orange safety plug for the battery is plugged in all the way. I didn’t plug it in all the way one time after working on the car and I got a Hybrid System Error.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah they just "fixed" it and you've got warning lights? Call the dealership.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bad hybrid battery . Replacing one now.. triangle on codes present etc all points to batt . I charged it an hour and it got hot . Removed cover corosion all over nuts n bars.. dead in water.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ?