1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - ignition light won't turn off & car won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by texasbirdfan, Sep 6, 2022.

1. texasbirdfan

texasbirdfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just tried to start my 2010 Prius. Got sort of a low moaning sound and Malfunction Lamp Indicator on dash. Lights are dim and cannot unlock all doors from driver's side. Ignition button light is steady on and amber but flashes amber when door is opened. Any thoughts about possible cause or solution appreciated!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    12 V is good???

3. texasbirdfan

texasbirdfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's what I'm wondering - guess I need to check that out. 12 volt battery is several years old. Thanks!

ASRDogman likes this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Use the physical key and unlock the drivers door, pop the hood, remove the cover from the
    fuse box, flip up the red cover from the positive terminal, closest to the firewall,
    use a volt meter and check the 12v volt battery voltage.
    It's likely 12v or less. Did you leave a door or trunk lid open? Dome light on? Is the 12v battery
    old? You could just start the car, to get it running. And if it starts, they you know it's a 12v problem.
    You could put a 4 amp or less charger on it for 10 or so hours and see if it revives the battery.
    If not, time for a new 12v battery. How old is it by they way?