1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius II audio quality

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by abhishah4444, Nov 1, 2010.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My intent here was only to point out to the OP that they can fix the problem for a resonable price. Nothing more. Respects to all.

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In what way are they crap? What exactly are you looking at?

So, for $1000, design me a full system that can go down to 29 Hz and at least 16 kHz, including a good headunit, amps, subs, etc..

Give a half decent system for $1000. I bet you that you will have to go way past $1000 to get a decent system.

3. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    BTW, just to prove to you how decent the JBL system is, this was done by a moderator here:

"With EQ flat, I did some bass test from my laptop via AUX in. Using both pre-recorded test tones, and tone generation within Audacity, the audible cutoff seems to be 29Hz, with 40Hz being completely audible. High end, 15.8kHz is where I perceive it to start to fall off with 16kHz almost inaudible. That could either be the speakers, my hearing, or my low quality AUX cable."

For a stock system, the door bass speakers go pretty low...and the 2.5" speakers in the dash (and upper rear doors) do go pretty high for a midtweet speaker.

1 person likes this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    abhishah...do your research. Crutchfield and local installers are a good place to start. Replace both the HU and speakers. You'll be suprised at the difference. Determine "your own" cost/value ratio.

Thai...I'm sorry man, I wouldn't put these speakers in a Vega. If you ever get them in hand, you'll understand.

To repeat:

"If a person likes the Toyota Sound systems, them it makes no difference and my respects to them. However, most do not."

"My intent here was only to point out to the OP that they can fix the problem for a resonable price. Nothing more. Respects to all."

In my third attempt: We all have different opinions and tastes. This is not to say one or the other is the best, just different.

Peace out.

5. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You still have not answered my questions...what speakers are you looking at?? Are you looking at your own II speakers? The JBL speakers are totally different! And yes, i have seen the JBL speakers. The point of a system is not the individual parts...it is how they interact as a whole system. You can put in MB Quart or Boston Acoustics, but if you have crappy placement, then those wonderful speakers will sound like crap. You need to do YOUR research before giving out advice. Here is a start:

Lets say you get Boston Acoustics top of the line speaker. Where are you going to place the tweeters? Up in the dash where the factory speakers are? But, wouldn't that create a massive separation of your tweeter and midrange speaker? No crossover in any brand will be able to correct for that. And with that setup, you would then need a dedicated subwoofer. Those expensive speakers of yours cannot put out enough bass (no matter what amplification it gets) without a dedicated sub. Ok...so, add in a subwoofer...but then you need a place to put it...and an amp to power it. Where are you going to put it? And after adding all this equipment, then aren't you going over $1000 budget? Food for thought.

Let me explain to you the JBL setup. The JBL system consists of 4 subwoofers (two 6x9's in the front doors, two 6" round in the rear doors). There are 4 midtweets (2.5" speakers to play the upper frequencies and midrange...2 upward firing in the dash, and two in the upper rear doors). Although you have 4 small subs in the car, the bass energy adds up to equal one bigger sub. Does it go deep as a 15" big nice person sub? No. But, for music, you do NOT need a sub that goes deep...that is reserve for movies. As you may know, in ideal aftermarket setup, you want the tweeter and midrange to be AS CLOSE TOGETHER AS POSSIBLE (usually in a kickpanel), so that the crossover can better handle the transition from tweeter to midrange...and so that you can't hear a separation of the frequencies because these frequencies are highly directional. The nice thing about the JBL setup is that the high frequencies and midrange comes from ONE source...although not ideal because you do get compromises in a 2.5 all-in-one speaker (such as not being able to hit 22kHz), but there is no separation of frequencies that you can hear. It is like having a kickpanel on the upper dash. Now, the nice thing is that the rear door 2.5" speakers are of the same quality and type...thus, you get same timbre and sound characteristic all around the cabin...this is why in ideal setup, you want the same type of speakers front and rear. Lastly, the JBL amplifier does DSP. IMHO, DSP is the most important aspect of a system. The actual "tuning" of a system is extremely important. As for now, unless you can get the JBL tuning kit (forgot name) or Audyssey equipped-headunits (Alpine for example), you will be stuck with tuning the system manually...and, for the most part, no manual tuning can match what a DSP can do. It is similar to the fact that no human can manually manipulate the brakes as good as ABS. DSP allows you to correct phase and timing from each speaker...so that the soundstage is balanced and stable for everyone in the car. This is where modern decent factory systems is superior to most Best Buy installations.

Secondly, if you feel so strongly about aftermarket stuff, then design a system for me for under $1000. Nothing spectacular...just design a complete system for $1000. Before you call something crap, then show me what you are thinking of.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My apologies to you Thai.

After reviewing some of your previous posts here on PC Forums, I now realize how wrong I was.

JBL systems are the best, bar none
    You are smarter.
    Your opinion is better.
    Your johnson is bigger.
    You wife is prettier.

Oh my God, your the Dos Equis Man. The honor is all mine.

If I missed something, please point out my flaws, after you call me an idiot.

...and I know you will, because you also get the last word.

Have a nice life.:)

7. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V