1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius II Roof Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by trudeljb, Dec 6, 2012.

?
  1. Roof carrier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Trunk/ Hitch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. trudeljb

trudeljb New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wanted to get input on bike racks for a 2010 prius and what you suggest. To be honest, I like the look of a roof rack better, I think it makes the car look much sportier. As I really will only be using the rack to take my bike North for the Summer (Florida to NY, then back down in the fall) I'm not too concerned about the reduction in gas mileage (which I think would me minimal anyways). As I have no bars or anything currently on the roof, a list of all the components I'd need, or complete set bike rack suggestions would be great! I'm new to the forum, and am currently searching the forums to see if this request has already been fulfilled. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If loss in MPH is a concern for you... How often do you plan on hauling your bike or using the roof rack for other activities (Storage, kayak, etc.)? If you would be doing this rarely, its probably not worth the loss in MPG and your best bet is getting a trailer hitch and a trailer hitch rack.

If MPG isn't really a concern for you, go for the roof rack! :) I own a Yakima, but haven't mounted it on my car yet. If you are getting a roof rack, I would recommend you get the 48" bars and not the 58" ones. 58" is waaay too long if your only purpose is to haul bikes. You could always cut down the bars to preferred length though.

Check out the setups in the Show Us Your Rack thread.
    Show Us Your Rack! | PriusChat