1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius III vs 2014 Plug-in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Edsel Adams, Dec 10, 2018.

?
  1. 2010 Prius III for $10,250

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 2014 Plug-in Prius for $14,500

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two point nine cents per mile is what I said. I didn't say it was just for gas. It's what it cost me. That obviously would include electricity other than the electricity I get for free at work and one or two other occasional places like the airport. It doesn't include oil. I range from 2.7 to 4.7 cents per mile for gas and electricity combined. All time high cost per mile was 5.21 cents/mile on a long trip where I couldn't charge and gas was $2.66/gallon. That was 51 mpg calculated at the pump at 70 mph on the interstate. I'm having a hard time thinking of another vehicle other than the Prime that gives that much flexibility at that low of a fuel cost.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd go with the 2014 plug in.
    Why?

Well the 2010 was the first model year of the Gen 3 in North America. That's not necessarily bad, but I like to avoid first model years, if I have the choice.
    Secondly?
    I never had the garage, plug in infrastructure for a plug in. But if you do? Why not enjoy the benefit of being able to plug in your Prius? Nothing to lose there, just a plus IMO. You can operate the 2014 as just a "regular" hybrid so why not? If I remember right, it was also reported that Plug In Prius's had slightly "beefier" electric motors. But don't quote me on that, as it's been a while.

But anyway, for those reasons, I think if it's a choice? Then I would go with the newer Plug In Prius.

3. Edsel Adams

Edsel Adams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A quick update or two. We looked into the Volt further and found a 2013 model with the Safety Pkg, Comfort Pkg, and Premium Pkg for $11,250 with 56K miles on it. It was the leading contender until we test drove a similar car at a Suburu dealership. We're simply two big, too tall (or both) to feel good in the Volt. Everybody on the test ride stumbled getting in or out of the car. It drove nicely as far as we could tell. The dealership did not have it plugged in, so we were using the ICE for the entire test ride. The front interior spaces were okay after we got in but the rear seat interior spaces were bad. Although I love certain qualities of the car and it seems like a decent price, it isn't for us. If we were younger, by which I mean thinner, it could have been a real find.

Maintenance-wise we are concerned about replacing the battery at some point, especially now that GM has decided to table to Volt. The estimated replacement cost seems to be anywhere from $3,000 to more than $30,000. I was also worried about finding a mechanic. Even with the maintenance concerns the Volt was an attractive option -- just too small for comfort. I was especially befuddled by the height of the door relative to the window on the driver side. To rest my elbow at the bottom of the window I had to reach upwards with my elbow. The Volt nearly won on price and features but ultimately lost due to its interior space.

Meanwhile the 2014 PiP should reach our local CarMax by Sat Dec, 22. We have been down to one vehicle for more than a month already. Unless something major pops up, we will have the 2014 PiP by this weekend.

@The Electric Me we do not have a garage at this time. For the near term, we'll drive it like our 2009 Prius (R.I.P.!). As soon as we can, I'll have an electrician wire up a charging station for us. We are just beginning to research the requirements and options there.

Thanks everyone for your help!

4. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All you need is a dedicated 120 V outlet within reach. The stock L1 (120 V) EVSE draws 12 Amps at the most. Just like a Shop Vac.
    It doesn't take much to charge a 6-11 mile range PHEV. Why make a be deal out of charging that thing?
    I doubt if many PiP owners bother with an L2.

Bay Stater likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    quite a few, but i don't know the numbers. it's wonderful if you are in and out a lot. for mostly overnight, 120v is fine.

6. Edsel Adams

Edsel Adams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in