1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IPM Failure: Sell car or Hold On?? - POLL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by silversport1, Feb 29, 2016.

?
  1. Keep the Car (until it died or has another problem)

80.0%
  2. Sell the Car (get a newer Prius with Certified warranty + new car payment)

10.0%
  3. Other: I'm open to suggestions (Thanks in advance)

10.0%
  1. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My IPM went out on my 2010 a few weeks ago. It was covered in the recall and the repair was free. Only problem was that that one of the parts was on backorder so I had to wait 3 weeks for my ship to arrive (literally)! All of the defective 2010 IPMs seem to be failing at the same time and there is a run on parts. 20 others in my area were waiting for the same part.

Since the IMP was replaced with the later design, it should be fine now. I'll keep mine for a while, but will definitely take a look at the Prius Prime. That looks like a great poor-man's Tesla without the electric infrastructure issues to deal with.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trade it for a gen 4.

3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius Prime will be nothing like any of the available Tesla vehicles. It's also yet-to-be-released, so you have no idea what potential "electric infastructure" issues it might have. Your Prius now has new hardware and software, so there is no longer a reason for concern that it will fail.