1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius is Consumer Reports Top Pick as "Green car"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Aegison, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Consumer Reports picks the 2010 Prius as top pick as a "Green Car."

Article says:

Going through the entire list of ten, they note that a Toyota product would have won in a couple of other categories were it not for the suspended production.

To see the entire list, go to:
    10 best cars: Consumer Reports - Best overall: Lexus 460L (1) - CNNMoney.com

2. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Help Save The Planet, Drive the Car of the Future today, Confound 'Big Oil', Save Money every mile you Drive, and Look like a Friggin' GENIUS when the gas gouging returns in earnest, DRIVE A PRIUS !

1 person likes this.
  3. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only 2 of the top 10 from the big 3?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looking for their write-up, I found another article on the subscriber based, web site:
    Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Consumers Union calls for changes to strengthen U.S. car-safety net

Specific recommendations they make are:

• Improve public access to safety information
    • Mandate specific safety changes in new cars
    • Remove NHTSA's cap on civil penalties
    • Give NHTSA more resources
    They also had recommendations for manufacturers and consumers. It is always easiest to give advice to others. But they also had a 'mea coupa' list:

• Expand the safety information on [their rjw] web site
    • Increase efforts to mine public safety information
    • Gather more information about recalls
    Overall, a good effort at examination of the problem.

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  5. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's more than I expected...

6. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bob Wilson
    -------------------------------------

While I can't say that it really or always worked that way in practice, Ford had an interesting approach, which was to maintain a test fleet from whom it could gather the "noise" and serious problems, etc -- and to do it while negating lack of maintainance as an issue.

If a front wheel bearing was a problem in a new model year for a vehicle, it would be seen in the test fleet, and the numbers extrapolated to the number out there with customers.

The "test fleet" worked this way. Ford had a "management lease car" program available to salaried employees at or above a specific salary grade, a group numbered into the many thousands. The employee could lease, for one year, the vehicle (usually) of their choosing at a rate which was no where near the cost of leasing on the outside. The employee's payment also covered maintenance -- in company garages when available -- insurance, license plates, tax, whatever. At the beginning of each model year, the employee would turn in the old car and lease a car from that new model year. You couldn't touch this cost of use outside the program.

Now, management level employees saw this as a perk above all else, and indeed it was a perk. The lease rates were so good that Ford occasionally had to fight with the IRS over whether imputed income should be attributed to employees because the lease was so low.

However, what Ford now had was a new model year test fleet, always correctly maintained, because they were then serviced mainly in company garages.

• First, if there was a problem with a given vehicle, Ford stood able to see that from the compiled data from the mgt lease vehicles -- and the cars would come in, and problems be reported, as maintainance was free. This data was, I was told by a safety engineer, available more quickly than dealer data which wouldn't be categorized as well. Dealers reported warranty issues, but generally not the mundane repairs etc.
    • Second, the larger garages (eg, near Ford's concentration of salaried employees in Dearborn MI) also could keep track of more vague complaints -- the "noise" -- and alert engineering & warranty to it.
    • Third, employees filled out a survey about the car twice during its lease period.

How often and well Ford exploited all the possibilities of this test fleet, I cannot say. I do know that on occasion they would "call in" a bunch of a given type of car so they could check out a complaint or problem. They occasionally would also conduct a telephone survey of those leasing a particular vehicle if they suspected an issue with it.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I like it. Of course Toyota would probably need some 'helpful customers' and of course they need someone livin' in Dixie ... probably someone with the engineering language skills and smattering of Japanese to make an accurate and precise report. Hummmmmmm, I wonder where they might find someone like that .... <grins>

Seriously, I always thought fleet sales to rental companies should be used for that purpose. You get 'abusive drivers' yet can work up fleet maintenance systems to gather quality data.

Bob Wilson

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well yah, that's why malorn hammers on Toyota with his every breath. GM'ers take on Toyota's quality stumble goes like this: "now that some think Toyotas are a death traps, some folks MAY actually want to buy a GM in stead!". IMO, it's a sorry day when that's what it'd take to get folks to switch.