1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV - both headlights out again

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TrvlArrngr, Dec 2, 2015.

1. TrvlArrngr

TrvlArrngr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2 months ago while driving both headlights (low) went out. Had to drive with my high beams on to get back to the house. Next day they worked again. 2 days ago both low lights went out again. My son checked and the bulbs are fine, the fuses are fine but the voltage meter says very low voltage with high resistance. What does that mean? I know there was a class action suit for the same reason for up to the 2009 model. Any idea about 2010 Prius IV? There are tons of the same issues for 2010 Prius IV. I have been googling and found many sites. I registered a few complaints too. I know it is not covered as i have had the car since new but since it's a well known issue they should recognize the problem. Thanks in advance!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone had this issue a few days ago after jump starting the car. Not sure the cause.

3. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check for corrosion on the bulb's and socket's contacts and ensure good electrical contact.

xliderider likes this.
  4. TrvlArrngr

TrvlArrngr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    isn't it strange that both go out at the same time twice in 2 months though?

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was there a commonality between events, like heavy rain during, or prior to the occurrences?

6. TrvlArrngr

TrvlArrngr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It was not raining either time.Though it started to rain the next day this time and has not stopped since then. I am going to have to take it to Toyota this morning. UGHOn another forum a person stated it is the ballast resistors and to just buy them yourself to save half the money charged by Toyota. Is this a big job? Thanks

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    One poster who had this problem had a faulty "relay". The ones that plug into the fuse box. That would be one place to check.

xliderider and TrvlArrngr like this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are no ballast resistors in your halogen light equipped IV.

The post above about a flaky relay sounds very likely. Either that, or the electrical contacts in your multifunction stalk switch is going bad.

9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this^

10. TrvlArrngr

TrvlArrngr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car is at Toyota right now. I also called corporate to let them know. I told them there was the class action for the same thing for cars up to 2009 and the case was settled in 2011 with Toyota stating they are fixing it in the Prius - but what about the 2010 model which fell in between the class action and the closure? Doesn't make sense to me. If it's a known issue and even the service guy said he had a bulletin on it, then cover it. Makes me mad.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You are talking about two different things. The gen 2 had a class action for the HID headlights, which does not apply to your gen 3, so why you are bringing it up is beyond me.

The 2010 did have a TSB for the headlight wiring harness, but that was a fix for prematurely burning out headlight bulbs. Also, I believe that TSB has expired.

Just realize that intermittent problems like yours can be difficult to diagnose and troubleshoot if they can't reproduce the error condition.

12. TrvlArrngr

TrvlArrngr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess I am confused as well since there are so many complaints for the 2010 model for both headlights going out again and again. Sorry.

13. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The wiring issue dropped the voltage to the halogen headlamps. At lower voltage they don't regenerate the filament, and burn out prematurely. But not usually both at once, though many people don't notice when one is out but when the other also goes, it gets "real dark, real quick". They notice that. ;)

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP's problem comes and goes, so it's not blowing bulbs. It's most likely the relay, switch contacts, or corrosion on the connectors.

15. TrvlArrngr

TrvlArrngr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So they wanted to sell me this harness contraption they developed for this problem for 620 dollars. I said how much to just put new bulbs and they said 237 dollars. How much is each bulb? 37 dollars - the rest is labor. I said forget it - I will have my son change the bulbs. Yikes! I said how could they both go out together - two times. He was trying to tell me that probably one went out and the other bulb bot too much power but I know because I drive it every day/night and both were on and then both were off. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

16. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is why I hate the stealership! Always looking to rip you off of your hard earned money.

17. TrvlArrngr

TrvlArrngr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just picked up the car. I asked if i wanted to buy the harness how much it would be. they said they do not sell the harness as it is their fix. They said it is a known issue but only covered for the first 3 years and i would have to wait for a class action to try to get reimbursed. How sick is that? They know they have a problem, developed a fix, then charge you to fix it. UGH

18. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was told by the guy at Autozone, don't touch the bulb with your fingers. Something about the oil from your fingers create some heat and will somehow burn out the bulb, or something like that. All I really heard was not to touch the bulb. I can tell you that these halogen bulbs get real hot when on. But the guy's point was not to touch the bulb when installing.

Mike

19. madmaxvol

madmaxvol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My prius went through a rash of burning bulbs like a kid eating popcorn at a movie last year. I decided to do a xenon replacement. It was about $125 for the kit...but my low beams were pretty horrible, even when they were working. I have been very happy with the replacement. Much better visibility on low and no more burned out bulbs.

20. cas123

cas123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did the Xenon really fix the issue? Did both of your headlights ever go out at the same time?