1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV Inverter Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JTex05, Feb 22, 2011.

1. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jtex is visiting the forum, but no update or new posts. He shame, maybe :yo:

2. JTex05

JTex05 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is the final resolution. As I wrote earlier, the dealership initially identified the inverter as the source of the problem. After replacing the entire inverter assembly, the vehicle had the same error code and did not have power to the wheels (the gas engine ran, but the car would not move).

The dealership then had to replace the transaxle, which had 3500 miles on it. The mechanic got injured, so the project got delayed a couple days. We got the car back 1 week ago, and it is running perfectly. I don't think we will ever know if the inverter was actually bad or not.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments to this thread. It looks like there are a few others out there who have had similar problems in previous versions of the vehicle. I will work on filing a complaint with the NHTSA on this problem, and will add a post if I get a response from them.

Jeremy

3. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone care to guess how much this would have cost had it been a customer pay situation? My guess would be $10,000.00 plus. Probably more like $12,000.00.

4. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont think so, USD1500 of the ebay (can be 3000 if brand new) + 1 manday.
    we (in EU) get the dealership's bill to confirm if the warranty repair is in place. So we know whay Toyota pays for the warranty care.
    My last TSB was for Corolla MMT transmission fix as I had one of first MMT mod (...000007 VIN) - ECU replacement, clutch, some sealing, arms. All together + work approx. eq. of 2500 USD.

5. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe somebody can straighten me out on this. My mental image is that the transaxle IS the power train, and includes the ICE and the two MGs. I suppose there are torque converters involved as well. Is that close to correct?

If that were the case, I don't think you would ever want to have a dealer mechanic rebuild it; you'd want to drop in a new or factory-rebuilt unit from depot. that'd be much cheaper than providing every dealer with the assembly hardware and training (and paying) the dealer's grease monkeys to that level.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This may include some of what you already know and it is a gross over simplification but for better or worse:

The ICE and the transaxle are separate units which are bolted together. There are no torque converters and none of the gears shift or disengage. Inside the transaxle are MG1 MG2 and a planetary gear set, MG1, MG2, and the ICE are connected together through the planetary gears. The front wheels are driven through a chain (edit: gen3 uses a gear vice chain) and a differential, also inside the transaxle, from the same gear that MG2 is connected to. The inverters are mounted on the top of the transaxle. I would consider the ICE, the transaxle, and the half shafts which go to the wheels to be the drive train. I think the inverters and the traction (HV) battery are also included for warranty purposes. Not sure about that but I think the warranty booklet explains what components are included in which warranty.

Here are some links that will give you an idea of how it is done:

HowStuffWorks "The Power Split Device"
    Toyota Prius - Power Split Device
    Whats Going On As I Drive?

I do not think the dealer service departments will touch the transaxle, they just replace the whole thing. We did have on Prius Chat member, Bob Wilson, who took the one on his Gen1 Prius apart and reassembled it, sucessfully. Unfortunately he no longer posts on this site.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Gen 3's PSD no longer has the chain.

Here are some pics I took at Prius Connection San Francisco in March 09: https://picasaweb.google.com/105684...authkey=Gv1sRgCILH8tvp-8_pjQE&feat=directlink

The PDF in post 1 of http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/60002-prius-technology-video.html also mentions the chain going away.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's neat I didn't know that. Much better to use a gear, probably a lot stronger. I'll edit my post above, thanks.

9. PriusBaller

PriusBaller New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have one for sale if anyone ever needs to save on one. 2010 PRIUS POWER INVERTER G9200-47140

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FYI, the market for a used Gen III inverter is $800, and that is salvage with some sort of warranty.

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    According to Toyotapartszone.com, the MSRP of an inverter assembly is $2660.

The transaxle assembly, which I believe is 30900-47061, is $3161.

12. Yun_prius

Yun_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 GenIII Prius III (113,500 miles) just had what I think is a similar problem. I was driving on the freeway when I heard a loud whump, then the dashboard lit up with "check engine" and "check hybrid system" lights. I lost acceleration power and was luckily able to pull over to the shoulder. I was able to drive on battery <26 mph for very short distance, but had to be towed to the dealership. So far, the Toyota dealership said it was an inverter/inverter assembly problem and that it would cost ~$3525 to replace (about $595 for labor and the rest for the parts). Is that reasonable? I have the 125,000 mile platinum warranty, so after reading this post, hopefully it should be fully covered.

Question: They seem to be sure of the problem; should I have them replace the inverter, then if it doesn't work, then they can replace the transaxle? Exactly what should I be documenting so that I can report this problem?

13. Yun_prius

Yun_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 GenIII Prius III (113,500 miles) just had what I think is a similar problem. I was driving on the freeway when I heard a loud whump, then the dashboard lit up with "check engine" and "check hybrid system" lights. I lost acceleration power and was luckily able to pull over to the shoulder. I was able to drive on battery <26 mph for very short distance, but had to be towed to the dealership. So far, the Toyota dealership said it was an inverter/inverter assembly problem and that it would cost ~$3525 to replace (about $595 for labor and the rest for the parts). Is that reasonable? I have the 125,000 mile platinum warranty, so after reading this post, hopefully it should be fully covered.

Question: They seem to be sure of the problem; should I have them replace the inverter, then if it doesn't work, then they can replace the transaxle? Exactly what should I be documenting so that I can report this problem?

14. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As long as ext warranty will cover it, let them do whatever they want.

MB860 ?

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If the extended warranty covers it, fine. If it's not covered, the salvage yard can be your friend.

16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoa whoa, Yun, you've been hauling that mother (in comparison, mine is not yet to 15k). That repair's costly enough to want me to get an ext. warranty or trade up. :eek:

17. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The inverter is part of the hybrid system, so it should be covered by the hybrid warranty in California at least -- 150,000 miles, isn't it?

18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Judgeless brought this up in the other thread, but after reading the warranty/maint guide, it is confusing on whether the 150k warranty applies to the inverter. The maint guide on pg. 19 that the inverter is covered for 8/100k under the hybrid component warranty. On pp. 23 and 24, it mentions coverage for components which affect performance on a smog test, and also, a small footnote which states that the hybrid battery is warrantied for 150k. Nowhere does it mention explicitly mention that the inverter is covered under the extended California Emissions Warranty provision.

19. Yun_prius

Yun_prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Vinny97, I've been consistently averaging 200 miles/day over the past two years. The only thing keeping me sane is satellite radio.

For you gurus, the dealership fixed the problem by replacing the entire inverter assembly. The specific codes logged were #P0A94 and P324E. Part number used was G92A0-47031. They also added (replaced?) some super long life coolant. Apparently they were debating whether the repair should be charged under the 150,000 CA warranty or my platinum 125,000 mile extended, and decided on the latter. Hope this helps!

2 people like this.
  20. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you going to keep the vehicle, or are you going to sell it after this event?

They probably charged it to the ext warranty since it is a guarantee that it would be covered. Based on what I researched, getting the inverter covered under the 150k warranty is kinda iffy, and that's probably what your dealer thought as well.