1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV mystery button

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ralph Spoilsport, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Ralph Spoilsport

Ralph Spoilsport Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone, I'm back after a long absence. Just got rid of my 2014 Prius C and acquired a beautiful blue 2010 Prius IV. Seems to be running great, a few odd sounds, but I love it.

It came with a few mysteries (I bought it from a proxy, not from the actual owner/driver):

Below and to the left of the steering wheel, where the mirror controls, the solar fan switch, and the interior light level adjustment live, there is an on/off switch. It's an aftermarket thing -- the folks at my local Toyota dealership could not figure out what it does. I can't figure out what it does. Any guesses?

(I can't seem to figure out how to post a photo.)

Thanks everyone! More questions later probably!

Ralph Spoilsport.

Prius mystery button.jpg Here's a photo

#1 Ralph Spoilsport, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

Well it's where I installed my foglight switch when I added foglights (only the V/Five had foglights). Perhaps that's what it is? (or maybe it's a PCer's former car lol)

sprtent likes this.
  3. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    what ever you do dont press that button..bad things can happen when you press random buttons...could start WW3 :confused:

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Turn it on and see what happens!

5. Ralph Spoilsport

Ralph Spoilsport Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Tideland, thanks very much. I think it might be for the foglights -- because there are foglights on the front of my car, but I do not have the foglight on/off controls on the headlight-control steering wheel stem.

The reason it's a mystery, I guess, is they don't work. When I toggle that on/off switch, nothing happens. I suppose I'll see if I can find someone to take a look. But since I live in a place where there's never fog, maybe I don't really care.

Thanks so much!

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Turn it on, then see if you wind up in a funny little town that has no other people.......and then the voice of Rod Serling starts to chime in.......

7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try the "foglight" switch again, with the main lights in varying positions. Sometimes, they are wired to not work when main headlights are ON, and only work when main switch is in the parking light position. Your car should also be in the READY mode. Failing that, you could check the fusebox for where they might have tapped in that switch and check fuses. Maybe the previous owner is just messin' with you by putting a dummy switch in the panel! Maybe a mod he started but didn't finish.

8. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Navigation override maybe? So you can change settings or enter nav destinations with the vehicle moving?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

:D

Depending on how they're wired, you need the parking lights or the low beam headlights to be on before the foglights will come on. They will not turn on on their own.

48mpg likes this.
  10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The daytime running lights on my Prius won't come on if the parking brake is engaged. Because... who knows?