1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius LED Headlight swap.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ScarGo, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ScarGo

ScarGo Common Sense Conservative

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know people in the past have swapped out regular headlights in their car for HID kits.

With the new LED style headlights, it should be much easier just to swap out the halogen style and put in the LED version. No high voltage ballast required.

In fact, as a side note, I bet there will be aftermarket solutions for many high volume cars. The cost of LED s should l keep going down.

2. HelpSaveMotherEarth

HelpSaveMotherEarth New Member

Model:
    IV
    have you found any aftermarket kits..if so please let me know...thank you

3. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ScarGo (Is this Escargot?) Are you suggesting, or asking, about purchasing GIII Prius V replacement LED headlights from Toyota and installing them in a GIII Prius II, III, or IV with no other alterations being required? --TK

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are referring to simply swapping bulbs, this does not seem possible. The entire headlight is different, with three focus sections instead of two.

I would imagine that unless you wanted to do some significant modifications, you would need to swap out the entire assembly. Additionally, since these are 'auto-leveling, I read something on the blog that it is levels based on the height of the rear bumper. Does the mean that there is a sensor in the rear somewhere?

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yup, there's a sensor in the rear of the car for the auto leveling system. It's been discussed before that it is probably not an easy thing to do. For now it seems if you want the LED headlights, you'll just have to spree for the Prius V...

6. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Auto leveling, auto shmeveling...
    I'm sure there are LED kits out there to be installed, right?
    It's not like you'd HAVE to replace the whole housing and everything... right?

Just install a nice HID kit...I've heard that the LED lights are kinda weak in comparison anyway...

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If by weak you mean less lumens than hid's or halogens, then yes. That is why there are 2 focused beams and one flood light, totaling 3 LED's in each headlight cluster. They seem plenty bright to me, better than my dads Prius III's halogens IMO.

As for LED kits, I haven't seen any available. In other vehicles, upgrade to LED headlights is a very expensive package. Toyota's other vehicle to have them, rather a Lexus, is a vehicle that starts at what, $80,000?

So yeah, you'd have to replace the housing since more beams are required then the 1 in a halogen equipped cluster and then there are the heat sink requirements since these type LED's generate very high heat...

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been driving cars with HIDs for 10+ years, which is one reason I went with the Prius V w/ LED headlights. I haven't noticed any difference in brightness vs. HIDs.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't notice any difference in brightness; however, do you notice any difference in the cut off where the beam pattern ends at the top? I have HIDs in the Lexus and the cut off at the top is extremely sharp and abrupt. Not so with the LEDs in the V. I wonder whether or not this is a characteristic of HIDs vs. LEDs?

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I actually find the cutoff on my LED's quite sharp. The cutoff line is even sharper than the HID's which were in my 2006...

11. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The reason most HIDs have a sharp cut off at the top is the bi-xenon technology (which I believe Lexus uses--not sure about the Gen II Prius). Low and high beams use the same lamps, with a shutter (or shade) moving up for high beams and down for low beams. The shutter creates the sharp cut off.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But most HIDs aren't bi-xenon, just low beam. TSX, ES, G35, Mazda3 for example have low beam only.

Oddly enough, except for the Gen 2 Prius, cars with bi-xenon still have a halogen high beam lamp. Any reason why?

13. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How much of the cutoff's sharpness has to do with the actual projection-style lens itself?Probably a lot... right?

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's for flash-to-pass. Xenons take too long to warm up to be useful for flash-to-pass when the headlights aren't already on.

15. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Makes sense to me, but the high beams on the 2010 Prius V are still halogen instead of LED.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    D'oh!! You're right. That and you would never use the xenons for flashing cause that'll just shorten their lifespan.

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nobody knows the answer yet?

I wonder if it has to do with the height of the vehicle and driver's perspective. The cutoff can only go so high so as to avoid blinding bystanders and other cars and this is more noticeable while sitting in a SUV but not so noticeable when sitting much lower in a Prius?

18. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know the LED Headlights in the LS 600h L are 6k EACH from the dealer.

19. healthylaugh

healthylaugh boughtalottatoyotas

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Replace 2010 pkg. II, III or IV w/ LED headlights?

Will the owners of 2010 Prius w/ Pkg. II, III, or IV be able to replace their headlights with more energy efficient LED headlamps?

And if it cannot be done now, how about in the future?

TIA

20. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Re: Replace 2010 pkg. II, III or IV w/ LED headlights?

This has been asked quite a few times now throughout the forums. Simple answer is no. You cannot just put LED 'bulbs' into the halogen housing and you can't just pop in LED headlight fixtures since they have an auto leveling sensor mounted in the rear which youd have to wire up etc. Also, I am sure to buy them separate, the LED fixtures are considerably expensive...

2 old threads but some discussion:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/58170-2010-prius-led-headlight-swap.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/58648-hid-vs-led.html

Also, a thread showing the difference between halogens and LED's:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...en-vs-led-headlights-pictures.html#post921704

1 person likes this.