1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Models and Option Packages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Feb 10, 2009.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I"m a little more skeptical and I'm trying to read between the lines.

Manufacturers hate to give too much info about breakthrough stuff because it will hamper sales of their present product.
    They used the term how they were in "early stages".. I disagree.... as they are already released to a select corporate leasing group to try... so they are well on their way!!!

If they are still in negotiation on pricing for the Lithium batteries, it would not be wise to make bold statements of fact that they were going through with it in this immediate future.
    Also "Panasonic" could be playing hardball in financial negotiations... who knows whats going on behind the scenes that forces Toyota to keep a tight lip.

Whether they come out soon or not could literally be dependent upon whether those negotiations go well.
    -------------

But hello "needacar" and welcome to the forum... hopefully you will need to change your name soon!

You are experiencing the same deleima many of us have. We have been told its due to weight etc etc.. but I think it really comes down to price.... a car with "all the goodies" would cost to much to market or else drive down the price of the package that is equipped with just the latest automated stuff barring the sunroof.

Either way, they decided they didn't want to put to many innovative things in one package but rather milk them as far as they could.

Sorry to be so sceptical, but thats the way my mind thinks with dealing with dealers, manufactures etc, and business in general...

I personally decided to wait as the offer was not sweet enough to force me to give up a perfectly good running car with no payments until I get what I "really" want... and thats plugin with Lithium Ion.

Whether its one year or two... I'm either waiting or buying the competition.... providing I see any miracles.

If I was going to buy now, the Package IV would have been my choice as all the fancy hidden electronic features are just that... things I could only brag about and use to show off with but in reality would never use and may even find a nuisance since I am an excellent driver and I don't want a computer second guessing my judgement.

But the Solar roof is visible bragging rights that will be noticed by all.
    Although it doesn't charge the battery as originally hoped, it will be nice to not get into a steaming hot car as well as have a real sunroof I can open.....
    IMO, a much more practicle choice.

But Its a matter of how important gas mileage is to you.
    The things I am waiting for aren't real visible either, but practicle when it comes to the pocket book... although I fear the extra price will not justify the extra gas savings, I still want a plugin.... just my thing.
    The Lithium battery alone will make the car much more efficient at doing its job of saving kinetic energy as it will be bigger and not get full so easy as well as we will be able to utilize much more of its capacity as it can be abused without fear of killing its life as with the present NiMh.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Clarification - Safety Connect will be available on Prius IV and V w/ NAV only (GPS required for location based services).

3. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little bit of blowing smoke here on the part of Toyota. Did anyone here at Priuschat participate in an interview or survey which asked: "would you like to have a Prius with all the high-tech goodies, specifically these exact features ..." Toyota did not do this because they would have given away their secrets too early before the official unveiling. Give away the details of the 2010 model too soon, and they risk reduced sales of the 2009.

If anything, they may have researched what is the most money that the top 5th percentile of buyers would spend on a Prius, without going into any details of the actual improvements in the vehicle. That would leave it up to the questionee to guess at the potential improvements from 2009 to 2010. I think most of the Prius enthusiasts were blown away at the unveiling with the all-around level of improvements, especially in the technology department. Had people been given a true understanding of the 2010 model, they may have said to the pollster that they would be willing to spend even more money. Then, Toyota may have offered an "all the tech goodies" package.

4. Needacar

Needacar New Member

Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I'm not allowed to post links, but I went to Toyota dot com, and at the bottom there is a link that says "Customer Service". On that page, there is a link to email Toyota. Hope that helps!

1 person likes this.
  5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PriusTeam has also said this is a factory item. There won't be any way to have a dealer add it to a IV or V being manufactured today.

6. priora

priora Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there any chance that the color choices will change? I like something that will stand out rather than blend in with every other color. I'm the person that likes yellow, purple, bright green. ^_^

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota monitors Prius Chat pretty closely.

In one respect I think thats wise on their part, but we can't always be accurate to assume to what intent they are monitoring.

I have a vulnerability to assume others are out for the good of the others, but sadly the older I get, the more I understand they are out for themselves alone, especially in business.

IN other words, I want to think if I share my true feelings, that Toyota will seek to meet those needs assuming there are many more just like myself. But sometimes I must realize that marketing teams study motives, human behavior, and needs to determine not so much how to meet the needs but how to make money.
    Meeting those needs may or not fit the best strategy to make the most money.

If they can hold off on a need of mankind a few years even though they could meet it today, they will if it means they will make millions more.

Most markets are slow to release ground breaking technology too fast as they "shoot all their guns at once" instead of milking it for all its worth.

I"m not saying Toyota is doing this because I don't really know.
    In Toyotas credit, they have so far led the path in innovative technology faster than most until now.

However, if they are not careful, they will lose that lead and even risk playing catchup to companies who are more desperate and have nothing to lose.

I think the technology is here and has been here a while to do much more, but there are always politics and negotiations that make it cost prohibitive and more advantageous in many instances to stick with a slower path.

The beauty of free competition is that it forces monopolies and those who hold such technologies to finally release it for fear the next guy will release it first and become an icon.

Without competition, we would grow much much slower in the path towards energy independence.

Things are getting quite interesting.

My bet is Toyota will be revealing a full plugin/Lithium setup soon.

Why?, not because they are now ready, but because if they don't the next guy will.

They used to say "necessity is the mother of invention".. I say "fear is the mother of invention" when it comes to business.

Necessity or "need" is a very subjective term.

Until the car manufacturers feel the "need" to produce more, they will not.

Sorry to say, there is little motivation or "need" without gas prices being higher. But when prices rise, we pump more oil and glut the market as supply overides demand and so it crashes again.

We need to become energy dependent because we "can" not because we need to.... its the difference between between doing whats right verses what is needed.

We are sitting on a massive amount of oil that no ones wants to throw away because we no longer have use for it...... unless we do this thing because its the right thing to do, I fear it will be a long long time before it really happens. Fat chance on that right?

Greed and fear alone may be the only thing that saves us.

8. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a good point. But there is a segment of buyers out there readily willing to purchase a $35,000-$40,000 mid-sized sedan. They typically look to Lexus, BMW and the like. I have not actually sat in the 2010 Prius, but from what I hear, it's roomier, more comfortable, drives better, and is safer than the 2009. If Toyota offered a Prius with all the bells and whistles in one package, it would compare favorably in that $35,000-$40,000 segment, enticing thousands of buyers who would normally purchase a Lexus or BMW.

9. pelican

pelican Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Can anyone explain WHY the advanced technology package and the solar roof are mutually exclusive. I am really disappointed by that.

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Combined overall weight.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

What Rick said, it has been discussed to death all over the forums. Toyota knows many are upset about it already so maybe in future years something will get done, who knows.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree, but Toyota doesn't feel its cost effective to toolup for so many special custom orders so these are the packages.
    I think they should "always" have a package IMO that includes every tiny goodie they can throw in... but they don't.

It has been thrown out that its about weight, but I don't buy that for one second. A couple of hundred extra pounds is nothing.
    When they are willing to put on 17" wheels that kill close to 3mpg, whats the big deal with weight?

If it affects payload capability.. then tighten the suspension a tad?

Anyway.... the difference of the solar panel sunroof and the metal that would have been there anyway can't be that much.

They tried to use that same excuse for the LED lights... LOL!.. and how much more do they weigh than the Halogen?

Sorry I sound so harsh... I don't fare well when I feel I'm getting my chain jerked.
    Just be honest works with me and I can understand all the issues and disappointments much better.

If they are going to give excuses, they need to give the specs to back it up or else give us a believable story...... the public is not totally stupid and trust is a big element to respect.

1 person likes this.
  13. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So, I've been playing with the Toyota Configurator, and I don't see where Nav is available with the ATP?!? on Trim level V. Are they mutually exclusive in the way the solar roof and ATP is? When I look at the 'custom summary' there is no NAV, and I don't see a way to add it.
    I know that many others prefer a separate unit, but we just got a Venza (which I would assume to be similar to the new Prius system) and it's NICE! with text to speech street names. XM traffic, and of course voice activation. And not steal-able.
    Someone please tell me that I'm just doing something wrong. I've been getting my wife warmed up to the idea of trading my '07 touring for a '10 with all the bells.

14. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Both Solar and ATP implicitly includes NAV per the brochures and other package documentation.

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    +1 If you read the description of the AT package, it expressly includes Nav.

16. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Really, that was my understanding, too. There must be a bug in the Toyota Configurator Custom Ebrochure then because Nav is nowhere to be seen. Don't know if this link will take you to the right place, but:

Build Your Toyota

OR:

Build Your Toyota[object%20MouseEvent]&complete=true&evar12=Prius|Prius%20V|Gas/Elec%20Hybrid%20(ECVT)|1.8%20Liter%204-Cylinder|||Classic%20Silver%20Metallic|Prius%20IV/V%20-%20Leather%20in%20Dark%20Gray|AT%2CAW%2CFE|

will illustrate what I mean.

AND, looking at the first post in this thread, I read it as V as a trim level, and three packages available, Nav, Solar, and ATP. I assumed that trim level V includes Nav, but the eBrochure doesn't show it, and the NAV package is not available in options, only AT. (this is the 'configurator' I'm talking about here, maybe it's bugged.)

Tony

17. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know what the Preferred Premium Accessory Package is?

Also, any tips for getting dealers to include port added accessories like V.I.P. security & Bluetooth for free? I'm looking at the Prius/Package II but don't want to pay for unecessary accessores. Thanks.

18. jeremiah256

jeremiah256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Greeting - I've been lurking while deciding whether to buy Prius to replace my current car and have learned much. But I'm looking at the options recently posted on the website here in Hawaii and they look very different from what I'm seeing in other locations. I'm not able to post a link but Google Toyota and Hawaii and you'll find it. Here's a text cut-n-paste of the options:

Model Code Model Starting At
    C2001 Prius $23,375
    C2002 Prius Touring Edition $24,270
    C2003 Prius Sedan (Base) $22,000

Toyota vehicles in Hawaii are only available with the following CHOICES (group of optional equipment)
    (C2001) 4-Dr Electric/Gas Hybrid CVT
    Choice "A" ($0)
    (NIL) No Additional Accessories
    Choice "B" ($575)
    (HG) Package #2
    Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
    Rear Camera
    Audio Unit with Auxiliary Audio Jack and MP3/WMA Playback Capability
    Smart Key System
    Choice "C" ($2,105)
    (HI) Package #3
    Rear Camera
    JBL 6-Disc In-Dash CD-Changer
    Auxiliary Audio Jack and MP3/WMA Playback Capability
    9 Speakers
    Bluetooth
    Smart Key System
    Alarm & Homelink Security
    Choice "D" ($2,580)
    (HK) Package #4
    Rear Camera
    9 Speakers
    Bluetooth
    Smart Key System
    HID Headlamps and Integrated Fog Lamps
    Choice "E" ($2,650)
    (NW) Package #6
    Rear Camera
    9 Speakers
    Bluetooth
    Smart Key System
    4-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel
    Leather Seats

(C2002) 4-Dr Electric/Gas Hybrid CVT Touring Edition
    Choice "A" ($0)
    (TV) Touring Package
    Rear Spoiler
    Choice "B" ($1,005)
    (TV) Touring Package
    Rear Spoiler
    (NM) Package #5 Touring Edition
    Rear Camera
    9 Speakers
    Bluetooth
    Smart Key System
    Choice "C" ($2,275)
    (TV) Touring Package
    Rear Spoiler
    (NR) Package #6 Touring Edition
    Rear Camera
    9 Speakers
    Bluetooth
    Smart Key System
    Alarm& Homelink Security
    4-Spoke Leather Steering Wheel
    Leather Seats

(C2003) 4-Dr Electric/Gas Hybrid CVT (Base)
    Choice "A" ($0)
    (AF) Base Package
    No Cruise Control
    No Wheel Cap
    No Heated Outside Mirrors
    No Tonneau Cover
    No Seatback Pockets

There's no mention of Prius I thru V, no obvious mention of any of the three packages (Nav, Solar, Adv Tech) that I've seen elsewhere. The c2003 may be the Prius I but who knows. And some of the items listed in the Hawaii packages seem like standard items elsewhere.

Please help this confused wanna-be Prius owner and thanks in advance.

19. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's the 2009 Prius, not the 2010. Some people have reported that the build tool on the Toyota website still is showing 2009 model info for certain zip codes...

1 person likes this.
  20. jeremiah256

jeremiah256 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much!