1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Models and Option Packages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Feb 10, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    President Obama was still the junior Senator from Illinois when Toyota's total sales of hybrids caused the tax credit to go away.

If there is some other tax "rebate" being offered, I'm not aware of it. The Cash for Clunkers may become law, but it would not specifically exclude the Prius or any other high-mileage Toyota.

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    And just to be absolutely clear, there is now the temporary federal sales tax deduction that applies to all cars.

3. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is it available only for new car purchases before 1/1/2010? (And, for purchases made after some date in 2009?)

4. Lucky2beme

Lucky2beme 1st Time Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much for that encouragement. My husband thinks the dealerships that sold the most 2009s will get the best selection of 2010s.
    I will post the discount Costco offers when I get that quote.:cheer2:

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hmmmm.

Wonder if this video is a precursor to the next major Option Package for the '10?

Perhaps this is why Doug's team has been so secretly quiet lately.

But, bet it would need to be bundled with Nav, and can't get the Solar Roof with it....
    ;)

6. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I HAVE NOT gone through all the pages but according to the first post, i CANNOT get a PRIUS with everything in it........correct me if i'm wrong. at the prius connection, the moonroof/solar panel was incredible. in the test drive, the park assist and lane keeper was so impressive. of course, the 17 inch rims are thumbs up.

i am very disappointed that i cannot get a loaded prius with all the options mentioned above. why? will it be available later?

7. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lurker no more...1st post.

I have already been told by friends and family that I could probably get a sweetheart deal on a 2009 Prius. And if Toyota had not moved up to the Third Generation model this year, that would probably be fine. But I am the type to get a car and hang onto it for a good long time so whatever I buy I like to be up-to-date as possible since I will be in it for years. I currently drive a 2001 Prizm. I love the fact that the radiator cap says Toyota on it. :) I also love that is still gets over 30 MPG and if conditions are right, almost 35 MPG. Before that I drove a Tercel for nine years. That is the problem with Toyotas; they last forever. My first car ever was a 1981 Corrola-Tercel.

I commute about 12 miles each way to work. Any vacation that requires driving over 7 or 8 hours will be done with a stewardess pushing a drink cart down the aisle and a SkyMall catalog. I am 45, have no kids, don't do much in the way of hauling cargo, and believe that dining should be done in a restaurant, not a driver's seat. And even though I work in IT, I am frankly too old to have developed a need for blue tooth technology and continuous cell phone use. After attending too many concerts as a teenager, my ears are not good enough to appreciate a high end audio system and the amount I am in the car does not warrant having a huge CD changer. I have not had a speeding ticket since 1992, so I not looking for a car I can win at Watkins Glen with. Bottom line, I value reliable transportation with low cost of ownership. I am not looking for car to be a second office or playroom.

I am the type of guy that gets self conscious about ordering the cheapest entree or bottle of wine for fear of being thought of as a miser. But unless someone sees something in my description that I am overlooking, the Package II model seems to make the most sense for me.

The II looks to be a great value, but the higher trim levels seem awfully expensive for what you get. A grand more for two more radio speakers and blue tooth connectivity is not worth it to me. I live in Rochester, NY, so solar cooling is not a major selling point. The leather seats are nice, but by the time I move up to that price, I could have my own cow and enjoy steak and seats.

And what is up with the nav system needing a DVD? For $1600, I expect that the nav system be coupled with the cruise control so I can enjoy a book on the the way into the office.

My dad and his wife have a 2006 Prius and love it. I want a 2010, but does anyone think I would need more than the II?

Thanks.

8. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome, lurker! Interesting first post, too.

It seems like you've convinced yourself -- a II it is.

If you are used to the current Gen2, however, please understand you will not get the rear-view camera on the 2010 Prius II. To some people, this is meaningless. I see it as a great safety feature, because I have children all through the neighborhood who could be in my driveway at any time of day or night. I think the main reason there is no rear-view camera is that the MFD (the touch screen) is not in the 2010 unless you've ordered the Nav. You also won't get the SKS (Smart Key) system in base models (similar to earlier years), but in the 2010 the SKS only works the driver's side door except for the very top-end models.

The 2010 has better seats (by far, I believe, but this may only be for the higher-end models) and a more powerful AND more fuel-efficient HSD. I think it also has better looks, but I still like the look of the Gen2 Prius.

I would say you are either an '09 Pkg #2 or a 2010 Prius II kind of guy. How do you want to spend your money and what features do you want? Those two cars do differ.

9. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. If anyone asks me for advice in car buying, I tell them not to fall in love with a vehicle before you go shopping. Do as I say....sigh

I know what you mean; I have a ton of kids in my neighborhood (aka The Fertile Crescent) and without the camera I might miss some of them. They really try to scamper out of the way but the camera gives me a fighting chance.

Yes and no. SKS looks to be standard across all the trim levels on the driver's door, but only the higher end models work on the other doors. Unless I am reading the Toyota site wrong.

OMG, does my a*s look fat in these jeans all the way over there?

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm, my current car is a Prizm, I want a Prius, and my first reply was from Priori. I wonder if there is some signifigance to 'Pri'?

10. ddepasse

ddepasse New Member

Model:
    II
    what are the ways to open(unlock)hatch on 2010 prius 2?

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Via fob (2 presses) or the inside door lock switch on the armrest.

If you program SKS to do all doors vs. drivers, that'll unlock the hatch as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was there a reason Toyota decided not to separate the remote hatch release from the other doors (other than cost?) on the fob. On most vehicles the remote trunk unlock is a separate button on the fob.

13. jprates

jprates https://ecomove.pt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the reason to separate them? What is the advantage? :confused:

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If the trunk was motorized to open like newer minivans and SUV's then I could see a separate button for it, but with it being manual open/close I just don't see a separate button for it necessary.

15. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The hatch is not like a trunk. In most cars the trunk "pops" open when unlocked. The hatch can be closed but unlocked -- not a situation available for most conventional trunk lids.

16. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Only to new vehicles. This will not apply to previously titled cars.

For those of us not familiar with a deduction vs. tax credit, the deduction will simply lower taxable income (so a $2,000 tax bill is a $500 credit for a taxpayer in the 25% bracket), where a tax credit would be an additional refund of that $2,000 (or lowering your amount due by that $2,000).

Unfortunately this is only a deduction, but I will still take every penny of it!

17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you don't Uncle Sam will....

If you need a good charity to donate it to.... let me know! :D

18. Sp8zm

Sp8zm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings,

I'm trying to order a 2010 Prius, but at least 2 Toyota dealers in upstate New York are telling me that the solar package is not available on the Prius III and that I need to buy the Prius IV.

This contradicts Toyota's published literature and Mr. Coleman's information. Is Toyota not making any IIIs with the solar package even to order? Would it help if I bought from a dealer in another state? How can I get a Prius III with a solar package in the next few months?

Thanks,

Chuck in Ithaca, NY

Doug Coleman wrote:
    > Solar Roof Package: Tilt-slide moonroof with solar powered
    > ventilation system and remote air-conditioning system, and
    > voice-activated navigation system and backup monitor (available
    > on Prius III and IV)

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. tc7

tc7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No Prius III's w/ solar roof are being made in your region currently. Not yet at least. If that is absolutely what you want, you will need to go out of state. Try plugging in zip codes from other states using the "build your toyota" option at toyota.com. If the solar roof is not available with the III in a certain area, it'll let you know.