1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Models and Option Packages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius Team, Feb 10, 2009.

1. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    xm called me this week to thank me for being a good customer and to show their thanks by offering me a deal on a 2nd device - i said no thanks

not free

2. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I believe you got it right. Once you sync your cell phone with the Bluetooth system (BT) the first time, every time you return to your Prius, the cell phone will automatically connect to the car BT once you turn the power on (in some phones you will have to turn on the automatic detect option, but many will do this by default). So you don’t even have to take the phone out of your pocket, just drive and you will be ready to receive a call. When driving, say somebody calls you. Then, if you are listening to music, the BT will automatically lower the volume and your phone will ring, so, you can just press the pick-up button in the steering wheel to initiate the phone conversation. When you are done, the steering wheel also has to button for hanging up. Now, the difference from the NAV system is that, to dial someone, you must grab you phone to do it because you will not have access to your contacts. Once you dial, you can put your phone aside because you are going to be live via the BT. Does that make sense?

3. web1b

web1b Active Member

What?!!
    Doesn't it import your contacts or else you can build voice tags manually even without nav?
    You can do this with a Camry without nav.

What about "Dial by Number?"
    I can't believe you have to touch your phone to dial even without nav.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Err... so there's no phonebook on models without nav? I find that hard to believe. I still think you can access your contacts without touching your phone (once the phonebook's been added of course)

5. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know whether this is correct. We'd have to ask folks who have the non-Nav systems whether the phone buttons are on their steering wheels. They are located on the left side of the steering wheel and show a phone off and a phone on a hook. If those buttons exist, then I think it all works. If not, then I think the bluetooth would serve as the mic and external speakers for the phone, but you'd probably have to dial, answer and hang up all using the handset.

6. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Will a cellphone be able to "connect to the car" when it is in the car and turned on w/o nav? I imagine if it can connect then you can answer calls using the steering wheel? From what you say, you will have to use the phone to dial calls...no downloading of phone books, or MFD speed dialing, etc. Have I got it right?

Yes! I have a V with no Nav. And a basic Samsung cell phone with Bluetooth.
    Actually the Bluetooth phone works just like SKS. Just keep it with you and when you enter the car, the JBL knows.
    If you get a call, the sound system volume lowers and through the driver's side front speaker - hear the ringing. Push the phone offhook button to answer and talk into the mic near the dome lights. You will hear the caller on your sound system automatically - hands free. When you're done, press the button with the phone on the hook to 'hang up'.
    To make a call - press the off-hook button and speak - you can program speed dials and names with phone #s into the system's memory. Or just voice out the phone number and the system will dial it for you after verifying. The button above the two phone buttons provides voice guidance. Actually, once, I was in the driveway and my cell phone was in the house. I got a call, so the range is quite good. BTW - the phone number calling shows on the JBL's stereo's screen.
    It's cool - although there are far fewer features and ease of use issues with non-Nav. But works quite well.

BTW All Model III and higher, with JBL Bluetooth have the steering wheel controls...

7. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A priori, I would be extremely surprised if the steering wheels in the Prius 3 don't have the buttons for BT because Toyota advertises "hands-free phone via BT technology". All cars I know of, with factory BT without NAV, have the BT commands in the steering wheel, including the Hondas CR-V, fit, and accord, the 09 Jetta TDI, and the ford focus... I'm not ready for that kind of disappointment... my Prius is already overdue 3 days past the ETA and I'm getting really inpatient now…

8. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree that if the car has factory bluetooth it will have the on/off-hook buttons on the steering wheel. I was thinking you had ordered a Prius II and were going to add the BT package later (or at the dealer's place). Then I think there'd be an issue (only meaning there'd be no steering wheel controls).

Oops. I goofed on that one.

9. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought you did...

10. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

What is this about trying to have the NAV system with everything. I can't stand built in Nav systems. I've not found one that is horrible compared to what I call "real" GPS systems.

Yes I know there are models you can get without it, but there are options I want where apparently you can't get without getting Nav.

11. Lucky2beme

Lucky2beme 1st Time Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :D Well, I may one of the only owners of a Model III with solar package in Southern CA!!!

It is silver instead of blue, but I'll settle LOL!

The navigation system is pretty darn good and we have had or studied all of them including the new Garmin Nuvi. My sales rep says that this is the new "Rev 6" that only one other car, besides Prius offers.

It really hasn't sunk in yet!:eek:
    I drove to my husband's work to show him and Sam's Club so it has 22 miles on it!;) Oh that new car smell!!!

I stopped to show some people at work and she wanted to see the backup camera. So I said, sure, jump in. I put it in reverse and it beeped at me. The parking indicator was lighted, the engine was running with no displays indicating a problem, but when I pressed the gas the engine simply reved?!?!? I sat there feeling silly. I tried turning it off and back on tried D, R, N but the screen kept reading P. My friend pulled off the start instruction card which was still hanging from the turn signal and reads. You need to push the break to start the car and again to move into any position other than park!!!

So I pushed the break, put in in reverse and they ohhed and awed over the backup camera on the screen in front of them. "So this is what the UPS drivers see," she said! :p

Like I say, it hasn't sunk in. But I'm going to read through the manual and more and more excited!:lock1:

1 person likes this.
  12. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh yea, and the $ thing. It was $23,750 plus $3,600 Solar =$27,350
    He gave it to us $200 below MSRP so $27,150.
    $55 Docking fees
    $2,380.44 Sales Tax (ain't that a killer!)
    $404 Registration, DMV Fees

So I wrote the check for $29,98.19 and I was off!
    I had it in my mind to keep it under $30K even when the numbers were making that seem impossible! Power of the mind!

Interesting extended warantee we passed on...
    A Costco special that is usually $2,400 for $1,900 that extends the same 3 yr warantee to 6 years. The interesting thing is that if you don't use the warantee, at the end of the 6 years they will refund you the $1,900!! It is a factory warantee, but like all good carnies will tell you this is a limited time offer, available only at time of sale!

13. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

something doesn't sound right about getting the 1900 back in six years

dont these things work like insurance?

i should ask for all the life insurance premiums i have paid (term life) when i get to the age where i don't renew

14. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess they are petty assured (read that insurance!) that you will use at least part of your warrantee before 6 yrs is up!:eek:

What does that tell you!

And since we didn't opt 4 it I didn't read the fine print, I'm sure they're all lawyered up!;)

15. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's true about the money returned if not used, then I think that their marketing strategy is similar to rebates -- they're banking on the likelihood of a large percentage of suckers forgetting about the original deal and never coming back to claim their money.

Still, I think it's too good to be true. Something's got to be hidden in the fine print.

16. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which dealer was it? How was your experience? Back in 2006 I purchased my Prius and a HyHi from Mossy and had a decent experience.

17. Lucky2beme

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota of Escondido, (North San Diego county )
    It was a fine experience.
    My biggest frustration was getting the salesman to say in touch during the long wait. I had more updated information from this site than he did. He was derogatory towards the chat sites and I said, "Not only do they own other Prius' but the customers feedback is valuable."

He talked too much, and went on at length about features I was already familiar with etc. None the less I went in at 10am and drove away at Noon! Most of that time was spent on the phone talking to my husband.

18. MHR

MHR New Member

As an former Automotive Engineer for Corvette program I own a 2005 Pruis as 1 of 5 of my vehicles - I own a very cool ZR1 Corvette as my toy, a Hummer H2 as my winter vehicle and a Prius as my commuter vehicle. The Prius gets the most use because of its gas mileage and its state of the art technology.

I would like to purchase a Gen-3 Prius but the bottom line for me is Toyota needs to offer the Package V with the Sun/Solar Roof w/LED and the Advanced Technology Package. I know you have great automotive engineers like everyone else - the talk of weight or gas mileage is a poor excuse. It's is not an engineering issue but rather a lame marking decision to not have a near $40,000 Prius. - Fix it!
    Also, I have to comment on the other poor decision to not include tan interior with Black - Just what were you thinking?

I know this configuration will not be for everyone, but if you fix these issues will make alot of people happy and I for one will be first in line to order my Gen-3

19. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which dealer did you buy it from?

20. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't forget the thought process you face when you are in to your 5th or even 6th year: Hmm, this will cost $400 to repair, and it is covered by warranty? Well, if I pay for it myself, then I can still get $1,900 back in a year (so long as there isn't another issue).

What a way to get people to pay VERY large deductibles!