1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - More pictures and preliminary product information

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Paradox, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything will be revealed on Mar 25!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And while I'm sure that'll be a nice concise professional video fit for consumption of the general public, I'm betting the videos and reviews posted here that day are better by far for the enthusiast audience.

3. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    ...unless you want the Prius V package (in which the 17' wheels are standard) so that you can get the AT package. In that case, the full diameter would be 36'. I'd rather have these wheels, though, than the 15' with their ugly covers. But that's another thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/2010-toyota-prius/58321-2010-prius-models-option-packages-26.html

4. willster

willster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That'll be a nice birthday gift. Also, I was told by my regional Toyota dealer that by the end of this month, prices will be announced. That would be great!

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    From the mouths of Toyota itself, expect pricing much closer to the time the cars hit the lot. There's a competitive advantage to withholding pricing on a car that isn't yet on the market.

6. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree! I expect Toyota to release the price somewhere around the end of April. I don't like it but that's what I expect.:(

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It makes sense that they hold off on pricing, but for selfish reasons I wish I knew now. I have a CD maturing today. I am going to hold it out as cash until I find out the pricing on the new 2010. If the price is good enough to make me want to trade in my 2006, I will probably use the cash to buy the 2010 and sell the 2006 privately. I look at it as a bridge loan to myself.

If I knew the pricing now, I could make my decision today and possibly roll the CD back into another investment. As it is I will just have to wait.

I'm not optimistic about the 2010 pricing. With the resale value of my 2006 depressed, it's going to take a very generous offer from Toyota to get me over to the 2010, even with as much as I want one.

Tom

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the better visibility is caused by lowering the surface tension of the glass. when this happens, water beads up and does not stick to the glass in the thin layer that causes visual distortion.

rain X is simply a polymer that fills in the small imperfections of the glass to make it smoother which reduces surface tension.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i am in the same boat as you. i do need another car, but wanting an EV with 4 seats and slightly more range would be nice, but not really required. that is what i am really wanting.

now i do have a option to sell my 06 to a family member for a decent price, but i will be carrying the loan as they will give me "a few thousand" down and pay me $400 a month. i also have a CD that was earmarked for my EV purchase that matures in July of next year. so i would be looking either to finance my 2010 until next year, or taking the CD out early which i probably wont do because its one year's interest for penalty...

so we will see

10. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All other things being equal, 1.5% earning on a %10,000 CD (compounded) would be approximately $165 for the year. Financing that same $10,000 in a loan (assuming a 5 to 7% APR), would cost you between $550 and $770 a year in interest. Assuming this is your case, you would save between $385 and $605. If you lose ea year's interest for this loan, it is still worthwhile. If you lose 6 months or a quarter, as many CDs are setup, then your savings will be more than illustrated. (If you CD is bigger or smaller than this, you should see comparable savings if you make it a larger loan / CD)

While any advice as to how you should finance it is a personal decision, I would not think that it is in your best interest to finance the car at a rate that is much more than you are earning on your CD (and remember that interest income is usually taxable, which will increase your savings if you throw it into the new car.)

I personally will take out a home equity line of credit (our house is over 50% paid off), so not only will I get the loan for the car under prime, but I will be able to deduct the interest from my income, as it is a loan on my home. (not deductible for everyone, so confirm with your tax person)

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would not have bothered for 1½%. mine is paying more. one year interest penalty would be around $2000

**edit**

i am with Q, probably not gonna happen unless they really cut the price.

12. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, isn't it. On the GenII, I see stamped, which I immediately see as thin and flims. GenIII's cast inverter cover looks solid much more beautiful to me.... I guess I'd compare it to a woman with makeup or not - makeup just turns me off.

Good thing there's a lot of different looking people out there, or we'd all clammer for the same ones. So, you can have your 2009 inverter, the 2010's for me ;)

Dave

13. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've got a Toto toilet that has a ionized treatment that smoothes the surface and prevent things from sticking to it. I bet the glass has something similar - not a chemical coating, but rather something like an ion treatment or vapor deposition. That would be more permanent.

OMG! My car has toilet windows!

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well. a permanent solution is tough because of the abuse a windshield undergoes. its constantly bombarded by small stuff causing its surface to be roughed up which just allows the water something to hold on to.

rain-X does work great, but it wears out, and wears out REAL fast if you use your windshield wipers. now granted, with rain-X you only have to use it if dirt and mud is involved, but it pretty much has to be done about once a month.