1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius: More than Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac or Acura? Yep!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by a priori, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Err, I don't believe he was comparing performance, just interior size. Most people dismiss it because it looks small on the outside and they claim they need a bigger car.

2. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Bingo.

Although I don't doubt there will be a certain percentage of people moving from these three, I think the large majority of new Prius drivers will be people that are used to spending $30K on a Toyota, Honda, Nissan (think Camry, Accord, Altima, etc, etc) plus former SUV drivers (I say that loosely. I would like to think that there are thousands of people that want to trade in their SUVs for a car, but my viewpoint might not be unbiased).

That is the feature of the Prius that "sealed the deal" for me. I used to have a truck and I used to be able to throw my bike in the back hassle-free and I always had it with me. With my Corolla, it takes several minutes to get it in, and after removing the front wheel. I have my eyes locked on the 2010 Prius.

Do you speak of experience? Have you actually done this comparison? If so, please share more detail. Thank you. Personally, I have driven a 3-series and my Corolla but not a Prius. As far as the actual handling of the vehicle, although the 3-series is better, it is by no means ahead by a long shot. I'd say it's maybe 10% better, but certainly not by a long shot. I'm sure the M3 is MUCH better, but we aren't talking about the M3 here. Unless the Prius handles significantly worse than my Corolla, I respectfully disagree with you. (qualification: I have been to numerous GM Drive Events and autocrossed (orange cones, sliding through corners, full throttle, threshold braking) the full line-ups of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, GM, Ford, and all other major competitors as well as the BMW 3-series and 5-series (base engines). Yes, the BMWs handle better, but CERTAINLY not by more than 10%. Believe it or not, today in 2008/2009, most new cars are very similar in handling if they are in the same class of car size. Although looks may vary widely, the technology and engineering is VERY uniform these days.
    The best vehicle I drove there was the Z06, and that was one hell of a car!!!!:D Yes, the Z06 handles MUCH, MUCH better than the Prius, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison. Plus, this thread is about 4-door sedans)
    Unfortunately, they did not have a Prius.

Back on topic: this thread is about rear-seat volume and cargo volume.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, for a moment there I thought maybe I would go through the ridiculous exercise of comparing the exterior and interior dimensions of the Prius with those of a 911. Common sense overcame me and I decided against trying to compare rear seat head room and leg room and shoulder room between the cars when the Porsche just doesn't have any real numbers. The rear seats are intended more for luggage than people.

OK. I had years in a 318i. Fun little car. Not much space, not much zip, but it was kinda cute.

What does any of that have to do with my post?

Say what you will. I'm looking for all sorts of responses. I'd just ask that you try to post something that adds value to the discussion. I'm interested in dealing with perception of value, space and comfort in 4/5-door sedans. That may be one reason why the spreadsheet doesn't list wheel size, suspension design or the ever-critical 0-60 numbers.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The 3 series or C class is worlds upon worlds a better driving experience than a Prius. (the 318 doesn't count, thats not the 3 series we're talking about). It just plain is, in the same way my Lexus is a better driving experience. I've driven all the cars mentioned.

Not to slight the Prius, thats not what its geared for. I however would never choose to drive our Prius...its purely a "have-to". Its uncomfortable, noisy, etc. Maybe the 2010 will be different.

5. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will foreswear my impatience, detain the cudgel of my tongue and refrain from loosing words better spent on those either loved or hated.

Enjoy the driving experience of the car of your choice and spare me those comments. I am making no claim the Prius is panther of the rally.

I would have your remarks about the interior space of the cars and the amenities offered in the 2010, as compared to the other cars chosen -- or others of your choice.

6. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You know what, it was a "fair" comparison when you stuck with the interior dimensions but when you then concluded that just because the dimensions where close to the BMW 3 and MB C, that the Prius was just as good dynamically, that's where you lost all validity in your post. You just come off as a blind Prius loyalist. Nothing wrong with that, but it becomes laughable when you say a Prius drives as well as a front engine, rear wheel drive sports sedan.

7. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm glad you are reading my posts. I believe it is a fair comparison to make when I've looked at exterior and interior dimensions and place the numbers side-by-side with a few automobiles.

I've re-read things to find the error of my way. This must be where I made the great mistake of suggesting "the Prius was just as good dynamically" as the sports sedans:

Really, now. Tuck the shill in and let it be.

I believe you know what I'm after in this post, and it isn't to claim the Prius is a sports sedan or the best driving experience available. I've made no other claim beyond size and certain amenities and appointments. I'm hardly a blind loyalist, but I grant you I am more than just a fan of the Prius.

As I stated earlier, there are many buyers of such sports sedans who are not as interested in the great handling, ride and acceleration, but want to have the interior amenities and appointments and the added safety of the advanced technology. They may balk at the Prius because it is "so small" in their minds' eyes. Looking at the raw numbers, side-by-side, may give such folks pause before passing judgment.

Also, the fact the Prius costs so much less and gets such greater gas mileage will be of more import to the people I'm trying to reach. You want driving experience; you want performance; you have the money and the desire; you can get it. Have your C-class, 3 series or 911 and enjoy. Most of the world has no cake left once it has been eaten.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't see you there when I got my Gen III test drive a few days ago. Guess you snuck in after dark? No? Then maybe you'll re-think it after you finally do. In the mean time, those of us who already test drove the Gen III are biting our lips after signing the agreement not to talk about our driving experience beyond saying that "I enjoyed my trip up at the Nokia Center" :cool:

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Driving experience dramatically changes simply by swapping to wider rubber with larger rim diameter. 2010 Prius will have an option for 17" wheels with 215 mm wide tires. That should eliminate that "floating" feeling and give that "on the rail" feeling. Those that have driven in the LA event can not talk until March 25th so you'll have to wait until then...

2010 Prius will have state of the art technologies (Laser CC, LED headlamp, Solar+Remote Ventilation, HUD, Touch Tracer, EV drive, etc...) that you will not find in the 3 series or the C class. The question should be reversed if the 3 series and C class should be considered the "econobox". Do they even come with the Smart Key System with push start button as standard yet? 2010 Prius will!

The notion that the handling of the car should define either it is sporty or econobox is silly because a lot of that has to do with the rubber on the road. Ignoring the interior space, Luxury/Safety technologies and focusing purely on the cornering ability is more silly.

The question becomes what defines an "econobox".

- Low cost maintenance. The car engineered to go fast will be more expensive to maintain, either you drive fast or not. If a car cost less to maintain, does it automatically become an econobox? No, clever engineering can save money. Not buying into something you don't need also saves money. Toyota owners look for ownership experience but BMW and Mercedes owners may look for driving experience with much higher price.

- Suspension. If a car has a rear torsion beam, does it make it an econobox? To me, a piece of metal that cost a couple of hundred dollar does not define the class of the car. Cool new 21st century features like Touch Tracer is more important to me.

- Wheels. If the car has 15" rims does it make it an econobox? No, it accelerates better, more MPG is just a side benefit. It is also easier to park, no worry about the rim stretching the curb. Larger rims just make the car feel more responsive when changing lanes. It lowers the car acceleration not only because of the rim weight but also the low profile tires that must go with it. Most people would relate a large wheels to high performance and thinks they look better. I agree to certain extend but I know better and choose 15" most of the time.

I don't pretend to be a race car driver when wanting a new car. I look forward for the new innovative technologies because handling is good enough already. I choose to look at new technologies rather than the old ones because if I make decision based on the past techs, I am just living in the past.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like to see a comparison to a car with long wheel base - Lexus LS 460L especially for the rear leg room.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: 2010 Prius: Bigger than a bread box!

There is a free "reader" floating around somewhere. Or, just go to Sun Microsystems and download OpenOffice 3. It's free!

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd be willing to give that a try. Any single PriusChat members want to take me up on the offer?

:tape2:

Mmmph! MMMMPPHHHH! URRRGGHHHHH!

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I test drove a Lexus LX570 a few months ago. Very nice navigation system, with a rear seat almost as tight as my FJ. The coolest feature was the WideView camera system integrated into the passenger mirror and front grille

With the WideView camera system, $87,500 Cdn. With the Mark Levinson sound system, $98,050 Cdn. Um ... thanks but no thanks, I'll keep the money in the bank

I did sit in a Lexus LS460L which was in the showroom. This one is fully equipped right out of the gate, at $97,100. There are individual bucket rear seats, fully adjustible, with tons of legroom: yes, equipped with built-in massage and ottoman

The winter tire and wheel package for that car *starts* at $3 G's!

Don't get me wrong, the LS460L is a great luxury car, especially if you had a driver and could just snooze in the rear. I'll stick with a Prius

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Overall, the best thing about the Prius is the hatchback design. The only other cars that offer close to the same versatility are wagons, like certain BMW's, and the Mercedes R series.

The BMW's and Mercedes "R" are priced well above the Prius

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What defines an Econobox?
    The Morris Mini was an Econobox of the first order. Tiny, boxy, pure function, minimalistic, minimal performance and minimal fuel consumption.
    It was also surprisingly roomy for its external dimensions compared to cars of the day.
    What else would you expect from an econobox? Most definitely not great performance!
    40 years since Mini wins bathurst

Prius is not an econobox, for a start who ever heard of an econobox which costs one and a half times to one and three quarters the cost of a Corolla? In fact the iTech here cost more than double to price of Corolla!! The entire domestic 6 cylinder car fleet have models which sell for less than a base model Prius in Australia. What is an econobox then? Maybe it's a 6 cylinder Commodore of Falcon? They are the econobox of the short sighted and insecure.

Attached Files:

16. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    More space beyond a certain point doesn't necessarily equal more comfort. I don't find the Prius seats (front or back) to be very comfortable.

That being said, I do love the versatility of the hatchback -- very nice to have the ability to throw our bikes into the back, or to sleep flat in the car when car-camping gets too cold.

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd have to agree that more space (beyond a point) does not simply equate to greater comfort. Think yellow and school bus.

You also will not find many people praising the Prius seats for comfort. I've been one of the fortunate few who have been able to be comfortable in the Prius seats for long drives. It probably has something to do with average size.

Even so, the 2010 Prius is a new animal. The seats are quite different. It was remarkably different just to sit in the car in those new seats. I'm hoping that when it is moving the 2010 will be even more comfortable.

I had not had a hatchback for about 20 years, and I had forgotten how convenient it is to have so much accessible space. Good point.

18. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice topic good info.

19. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, I've been trying to accomodate you on this one, but Lexus doesn't provide leg room measurements for any of the LS 460 models. They offer their executive seating option (reclining bucket seats in the rear, among other things), and that takes a few cubic feet of cargo space out of the trunk, but they still don't publish leg room.

In general comparison with the Prius, you'll find that the Prius had more front head room than the Lexus, though the Lexus has a fraction of an inch more head room in the rear. As expected for a car approaching $75,000, it does have a bit more hip and shoulder room, better than two inches more in each case, though it takes almost five inches more width on the road to accomplish this.

Cargo room is listed as larger in the LS 460, though it is actually less if the Lexus is equipped with the executive seating option. The EPA review shows the lesser number, suggesting the Prius is exceptionally larger in terms of luggage carrying capacity. In terms of golf bags, we'll have to see about this, though the claims is the 2010 Prius can carry 3 golf bags in the hatch!

Fuel economy and carbon footprint? Need you ask? Lexus LS 460 L: 16/24/19 with a carbon footprint of 9.6. Compare this to the 2010 Prius: 50/49/50. The carbon footprint is not yet announced fo for the 2010, but last year it was 4.0.

I've incorporated the 2009 Lexus LS 460 L into the spreadsheet showing on the first post.

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was simply responding to your statement that since you had a 318, the lowest end vehicle BMW has ever sold in the US and a totally different platform and drivetrain than the 3 series sedan which was the in your comparison, you somehow have some handle on how the Prius drives and handles vs, say, a 335i sedan.

I've actually driven all the vehicles you mention, I own a Prius and I am a member here at PriusChat so as long as I am a member I will participate in discussions, post my opinions, and respond to the statements of others so long as it is within the TOS of the forum. If you don't want to read those opinions, I believe this forum has an ignore feature and I suggest you use it instead of telling me what I can and can not say.

Look, I've said here many times the Prius is a good vehicle, I own one and we're happy with it. But it is not the only car on the road or the best car on the road for everyone, and people like me who realize that aren't "heretics" as some of you would like to think. The current car has some serious problems and its not just me saying that, driving position, seat controls, rattling, etc. Like I said, I hope that the 2010 addresses those issues. I'd like the car a lot if I could adjust the seat and drive it without having to continually press on the dash to stop the rattles.

As for the LS460L, the rear legroom is huge. You can sit back there and cross your legs and never even brush the seatback in front of you. I've been looking at the LS460, thinking of buying one in a year or so and I wouldn't get the L model, the SWB car has plenty of rear legroom.