1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Mudguards now available in the PriusChat Shop!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Danny, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    These parts are imported from the UK. The model years are not the same, but they are for the Gen III Prius, which in the US was introduced as a 2010 model, albeit early. They are not made to fit, they are made so that they fit. Very easy to install. Your dealer, I am sure, must be aware that there are lots of parts for Toyota's that are not imported into the USA, but are still genuine Toyota parts. I even got lazy and took mine to my dealer to install, which he did during another procedure.

2. Ken from Bucks

Ken from Bucks New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. Any idea why Toyota offered flaps for the 2009 models and not the 2010 models, is it as my dealer says - better aerodynamics? Or, are they looking forward to the increase body repairs due to chipped paint?

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually, Toyota USA never offered flaps for the 2G (2004-2009) Prius, either. Those mudflaps were always imported from Canada.

For those of you waiting to order, the new shipment has been stuck in FedEx customs hell for the last couple of days, but should be delivered tomorrow.

4. Fred Wacksman

Fred Wacksman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Danny, I'm interested in the splash guards for my 2010 V, but don't like the lack of direction for install.
    I bought them from you for my '08 and had to take off the rear wheels. I don't want to have to do this again Looking at the directions, it doesn't clearly explain.
    Any thoughts?

5. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Instructions are in two PDF files at the mudguard entry at the PriusChat shop; while completely pictorial, I found them easy to fathom by examining the car and the flaps. Since they refer to the Euro version they are labeled 2009, but they are for the US 2010. See my post #32 in this thread. For the front, just turn the wheels to expose the area you need to work in.

For the rear, jacking up the car on one side, removing the wheel, installing the flap, and repeating on the other side is the easiest path. Just jacking up the car did not give me enough clearance. If you're not willing to do that, pay someone.

Knowing where the jack and spare are, and how to change a tire seems like something in which everyone would want to have proficiency, but your circumstances may preclude that, so no disrespect intended.

Where I often travel, AAA could be hours away, so I try to be well-prepared. I once had an early-AM winter flight from ABQ, and got a flat in my Audi on I-25; with lantern battery kaput (my preparation failure), I changed the tire in the dark by the light of the emergency flashers. Made the flight!

6. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    would really appreciate pics - closeup and wide .. (preferably black) ... tia!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know any vehicle that doesn't need the rear wheels removed. Ok, some might be easier to do but frankly the easiest way, hands-down, is to have the rear wheels removed. It's just one thing less in the way. Of course the problem is that it's a hassle.

8. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Yes. There is little doubt that most people have to remove the rear wheels in order to install the mud guards on the back. If that is a total deal breaker, read no further. I was going to remove my rear tires and even rolled out my garage jack to get started when I remembered that I was taking my car to the local Toyota dealership to have new tires put on and balanced so I just called and they agreed to install them while the wheels and tires were off. Cost me about $35 for all 4 and well worth it in broken nails and gouged fingers. I am getting clumsy as I age.

Those directions, obviously written by a mime are virtually useless, in my opinion.

My suggestion is to put the front ones on now, put the rear ones in the garage and the next time you are going for new tires or even a balancing at the tire shop or dealer, have them install the back ones. In my experience, the front guards are far more important since there is so little sheetmetal between the rear wheel well and the back of the car.

9. Au-Toe

Au-Toe Matrixowner

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no one has posted up pics yet of the mud flaps on?
    still interested as to what they look like 'on' the car

10. Prius42

Prius42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My mudflaps, which must be from the "2nd batch" shipped today. The wait seems to be over. Thanks Danny!

11. Nuckz23

Nuckz23 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let's see some pictures. I am debating getting these as well, but since I am upgrading to a wider wheel it might be a smart move. If I do buy them I will probably paint them to match my car color.

12. Au-Toe

Au-Toe Matrixowner

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bump for pictures please.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Almost through the 2nd batch already, so get your orders in before they all run out. Hopefully the delay between the 2nd and 3rd batch won't be as long as it was between the 1st and 2nd batch.

14. Nuckz23

Nuckz23 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Member Econ has a picture on his black V. His pictures can be find under the photos tab up top.

15. Au-Toe

Au-Toe Matrixowner

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you, i wish that was pointed out earlier. i think i asked 3 times.
    [​IMG]

16. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    My goodness, you are demanding, aren't you? Don't throw a tizzy. I, for one, didn't know there were any pictures already posted (except in the prius shop ad for the mudguards). I guess I had an idea what mudguards looked like, and what my car looked like, so I put it together in my mind and guess what? When I had them installed they look exactly like that.

17. Au-Toe

Au-Toe Matrixowner

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wasn't trying to be demanding or be mean in a way.
    i think i asked 3 times over the course of 2 weeks, but i haven't looked back at my post in this thread.

and the reason i kept asking was because of the other members posts that were posted after my request for any pics stating that, they got their mud guards already, installed, and that they look great.

and i was just suprised that nobody has yet posted a picture.
    i'm in to doing little modifications to my car and i've seen what mud guards look like before, just not on a prius, but i'm sure i could've pictured it in my head just as well.

i wanted a better understanding of how low they are to the ground and how noticeable they would be on the car.

i am thankful to have been told that all i had to do was look in the photo section which i never knew existed.
    and also, that's why i linked 'econ' picture to this thread so that no one would have to ask too see a picture. :)

18. User37

User37 Can spell PRIUS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does somebody have a picture of a dirty Prius with mudguards?

The lower part of the doors (as visible in Post #55 ) is always dirty and I wonder if mudguards will make a big difference.

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five