1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Mudguards now available in the PriusChat Shop!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Danny, Feb 17, 2010.

1. navy48

navy48 LBII (Lil Blue II)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just ordered the Euro Design ones for my wifes new Prius. they look pretty cool....can't wait for them to get here. maybe I can install them without her knowing.:rolleyes:

also picked up a cargo net from our dealer today. :D

2. Capt Ed

Capt Ed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought my 2010 Prius III last week and cannot believe how much crud the wheels throw up the sides of the car. I would like to put those Euro style guards on, but am concerned about rust or corrosion of the fenders. It appears that they overlap the sheet metal and there is the distinct possibility that water will remain trapped in that area. Any thoughts/experiences in that area?? Thanks!

3. navy48

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

got my Euro Guards today! :D they look great....but they may not get installed now until it warms up a bit. WAY too cold in my garage to be on the floor installing mudguards. :( AND this weekend I DID finally get my all weather Floor Trays put in too. I think I got the Husky Weatherbeaters, in beige to match the interior (unlike the Toyota mats:confused: ) they fit great and will certainly keep the OE carpeted mats in nice shape for summer.

also I've installed my cargo net I got from our dealer. took all of 3 minutes. my wife LOVES it! and you know, 'if Momma ain't happy, NO ONE is happy!' :p

4. navy48

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well Capt, I've had OE mudguards on every Toyota and Honda I've owned (and I've owned SEVERAL) and have NEVER had a rust problem. the nice thing about the OE mudguards is that they install in existing holes, so there is generally no drilling and therefore you're not breaking the paint to expose the metal to rust. as for trapping water.......can't say that's ever been an issue. there's enough of a gap at the bottom to allow any water/condensation to drain out. no worse than water sitting on your car during a rainstorm or snow on your car during the winter.

IMO, I would get them. as I just mentioned above, I got the EURO style because they a) look better but most importantly b) they extend up higher than the 'regular' mudguards, which again IMO would keep more crap from getting on the sides.

as an added note, I may get ours PAINTED to match the car. just have to see 'how much' it's going to set me back........:rolleyes:

5. bobryeNH

bobryeNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I passed my 2006 Prius on to my son and bought my 2010 about a month ago. I bought the weathertech mats from the PriusChat store and put them in the other day. They fit perfectly and will go a long way toward protecting the carpeting during New England winters. I also purchased the European mudguards and put them on this morning. They really are simple to install. It took about 10 minutes to put on the first front guard, but only about 3 minutes to do the next. Don't be concerned about rust as an issue. I installed the guards on my 2006 a few years ago and they have performed flawlessly. Not a hint of rust. The main benefit is the protection of the paint on the sides of your car. Well worth the purchase price!

1 person likes this.
  6. Capt Ed

Capt Ed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank You, BobryeNh and Navy48, for your inputs on the mudguards. I put on my first application of Collinite Wax and installed my new Huskey Weatherbeaters today, and I am extremely pleased on both counts. I am still undecided on the mudguards ... wish I would run across a 2010 out on the road somewhere in order to get a true appearance impression. Your experiences with them are quite encouraging, and again, I Thank You!

7. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have installed Euro style mudguards on both mine and my sons prius 2010 III. Only one hole needs to be drilled, for the rear guard. This hole is drilled into the rear fender guard, it's plastic.....no metal to rust.

They could collect and hold mud or road material......but it's all plastic or vinyl.......they do a great job keeping flying mud from going up on the car.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just ordered my US version mud flaps from the Prius Chat Shop yesterday morning and by afternoon I received an email that the order had been processed and was ready to ship. I also received the USPS tracking number.

I see several posts on here criticizing Danny and the Prius Chat Shop for delays in shipments. I just wanted to thank Danny for the quick response to this particular order and let people know that late shipments are what you hear complaints about the most on here but rarely the on time shipments. This is my fifth order and they have all been on time.

Thanks Danny.

9. Andreuccio

Andreuccio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my Prius last week, and have been accessorizing these last few days. I put mud guards on my two most recent cars, and was looking for them for the Prius, too. Reports of lower gas mileage have me concerned, though.

I have also had either a bra or a bug shield on my last two cars. On the Prius I'm having a Clearbra installed instead, both for aerodynamics and appearance. Reading this forum gave me the idea of having them install the Clearbra material on the painted area behind the wheels as well, in lieu of the mud guards. While it won't keep dirt from getting sprayed there, it should protect that area from damage and be easier to clean, without sacrificing gas mileage.

I'll report back in a couple of months and let everyone know how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  10. hatighora

hatighora New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a color option for the mud guards? It would be nice to have the mud guards color match the car paint.

11. Ontarget

Ontarget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, I intalled only the front set (euro design). With only the front set, I don't think the mpg hit will be that severe, and there is not much behind the rears to protect.

12. hatighora

hatighora New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got the mudguards today. Why are these mudguards to expensive? They are just made of plastic, nothing special. What makes these cost 60 dollars for retail?

13. studioRS

studioRS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just ordered a set of the Euro mud guards for my wife's new 2011 Blue Ribbon Two, these look to be a necessary mod where I live. Anything to protect the vulnerable area where the wheel spits rocks, sand and road debris on is a plus.

14. studioRS

studioRS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you PriusShop for shipping these out asap. I opted for the European spec versions. I hope these quick photos help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nice thanks for the pics. About how far do the protrude from the side of the car? Were you satisfied with how they attach? I am trying to decide if I want the U.S. or Euro. mudguards. Mahalo.

Aloha,

ED

16. studioRS

studioRS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They don't protrude out as far as I thought they would, or as far as they look like they should. I'll shoot some photos so you can see exactly.

Install was super easy, they just mounted on. Factory TOYOTA part from UK, made in France.

The styling of these just match the Prius and with your V 17" rims they will look stunning.

We are edging up to 51.1 mpgs, now at only 529 total miles.

17. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They protrude out far enough to where they hit everything. Mine are all beat up and they really do nothing + they are not a true fit for the car.
    Don't waist your money on these mud flaps.

18. dryrider

dryrider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just installed mine.usa..did not remove rear wheels...just drilled at a bit of an angel..no big deal perfect fit.

19. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ordered the US version about a year ago. I've yet to have any issues with them. The amount they protrude out is MAYBE 2-3" or so if I had to guess. If you're scuffing them on something, you were probably way too close to that object.

They definitely help keep road spray from the wheels off the car compared to not having them. Installation was simple, as said by others. I took the rear wheels off to give more room to work with.

1 person likes this.
  20. navy48

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    DITTO......while my Euro Mudguards were somewhat delayed, Danny kept me up to date on what was happening.

thanks Danny!

while I'm not painting the Euro Mudguards on our Prius, I DID have my OE Mudguards painted for my Dodge Charger. had a local body shop paint them and well, on my Charger I really like the looks of it. white Charger, white mudguards. but with the Prius being a dark color (Blue Ribbon), I don't think its necessary to paint them. they still look great!